losing my hearing at 25... help

Hello, and welcome! Although I'm 43 and I've been HOH since I was 4, until recently I just "got by". I have a Profound/Moderate loss, and gittin worse. Received my first pair of HA's about 3 month's ago. Take daily notes of your issues, and go over them with your Audio. Some of the problems your having are with adjustment. If you have a volume remote, use it, after 3 months I still use it at times.
As for your voice, you will get used to it as you remember how to control you volume. When I first got my HA's, I'd find an empty room, and talk/sing to myself to get used to it.

Hi my names Megan and im 25.
Two months ago I went for my first hearing test to find out I have moderate hearing loss and needed hearing aids.
here in Australia the government fund them until you are 26 so I was so lucky to receive a pair before my birthday. My family seem to think I've lost my hearing in the past 6 months and at this stage I was told there is no way of telling how quickly I could continue to loose it or it may stay the same.
I don't have any friends that are deaf so I'm looking for someone to talk to that can relate.
Did anyone have alot of issues getting used to a new loud world
I am having trouble with my aids n find that I'm afraid to talk with people as I hate the way I sound. Also there is so much noise constantly lime an ocean sound is this normal??

I've told a few of my l close friends but haven't told many people as I'm scared of being treated differently

Thanks megan :wave:

I got my first hearing aid when I was 8 years old and it took me awhile to get use to all the new sounds . I was born heard of hearing and had no idea
a paper bag made a lot of noises or what rain sounds like , have you tried turning the volume down , or maybe your hearing aids are set too loud for you. You should call your audi if you're finding your HA too uncomfortable to wear. The sounds should not be so loud that it bother you.
And welcome boy that was very lucky you made the cut off age right in time.

Welcome to the community! This is a good place for you as you try to adjust to your aid.

I'm HOH and wear two aids and have done so since I was 4 years old, so I didn't come at it later in life like you did. However, I can say that it will take a while to get used to the sound. Not many hearing people realize that the sound isn't true-to-life and everything has a digital kind of feel to it compared to natural hearing. This is probably because the brain does some heavy processing to make sure sounds are dynamic, something hearing aid processors are still trying to emulate. I know this because I went through high school without wearing any aids (dumb of me, I know, but I was self-conscious) and when I got them back again after 5-6 years without, it took a year to get used to the sound again.

You'll also experience mental fatigue with all the loud sounds, background noises, having to work extra hard to process speech at and around you, etc. It'll be rough in the beginning, but you'll get a little better at it. However, the fatigue does not go away, it just gets minimized with time. I'd go to family gatherings or birthday parties and by the time I get home I'd feel like I ran a few triathalons.

I'm really sorry you're going through this at this stage in your life. That's going to be especially challenging to adjust to. Definitely take advantage of any support you can get, whether from the government, family, or friends. Don't eschew any of it. That's very important for you right now. Whether the support is financial, love, kindness, or advice, accept it all.

Give yourself time, don't push yourself too hard. Wear your aid around the house with people you are familiar with to get acclimated, so you're in a comfortable position to just be able to take them out when you get fatigued/overwhelmed. Also, although the govt. helped you out (very glad to hear that Australia does that too) try to make it a point to get a better hearing aid. The better ones have better processing and features that'll make it even easier to handle and adjust to. They are expensive, but if you can afford it, or have family/friends put together funds to help you out, or there's an agency or charity who can do so for you, do so ASAP. It'll make your life a ton easier and you'll be happier for it. Many around here seem to really like the Phonak Q90 series and I've read that the Bolero model is a good one, too.

Thanks matt for the reply. My audiologist set my hearing aids on automatic so I have no control on how loud they are. Do many people use automatic?
The hearing aids a received are a seimens Pure. I'm not sure how they rate on everyone's scale?? They r a level 5!?
Thank you for all the tips on getting used to the hearing aids my audiologist told me I'd be fine to wear them to work the day I got them..... I found it so hard n was so mentally tired

Am I missing something here? If it's moderate loss, it's very workable with hearing aids. Maybe your hearing aids aren't at a comfortable setting? I'm assuming they're digital.... also, how long have you been wearing them? If you've never worn hearing aids, it takes an adjustment period and many new wearers often become frustrated easy and have no idea what to expect. It typically does sound loud so that's normal what your experiencing, but rather than keep this to yourself, you should be mentioning this to the audiologist (or person that sold them) as the sound can be adjusted. Why haven't you spoken to the person that provided them to you? I keep notes when I'm breaking in a new pair so if there's something that's driving me nuts, I can keep track of everything I've noticed, and show it to the audiologist.

Depending on the cause, no one can say with certainty if you'll lose your hearing, and they also don't know if it'll remain the same for the next twenty years...so don't put the horse before the cart so to speak. I've had bilateral moderate to severe loss all my life and for that most part, my hearing hasn't changed. I have Sensorineural hearing loss, which does get worse with age (and from being surrounded by excessively loud noise) but it's not a carved into stone that this will happen, just that it could. And while my right ear has dropped into profound range, my hearing aids help me greatly.

Remember these are just hearing aids you were given, you didn't get a Cancer diagnosis, so keep things in perspective. Many people are learning at younger and younger ages that they need hearing aids due to too many loud rock concerts, iPods blasting, or hereditary factors, so your not "different." Enjoy your friends and be yourself, people will take their cue from you. Welcome to the forum, Megan. :wave:

Laura

Hi Laura
I've had them for 5 days so its all so new to me. I have an appointment with the audiologist in a week and a half to do some tuning. The ha are set on automatic? I have no choice to turn them down. I've not been told what kind of hearing loss I have at this stage. They think it's due to ear infections!?

You mean LD, not LA...LD is late deafened....mine at age 14, totally deaf, both ears and a HA would not do any good (as nerve and ear drums damaged beyond repair)....So I know zip about HA...or CI (cochlear implants)....I do know ASL and lip-read.

Many, many members here will help you over ur journey!

I'm sorry robin I didn't mean to offend you. :)

Hi Laura
I've had them for 5 days so its all so new to me. I have an appointment with the audiologist in a week and a half to do some tuning. The ha are set on automatic? I have no choice to turn them down. I've not been told what kind of hearing loss I have at this stage. They think it's due to ear infections!?

Are your hearing aides analog or digital? They're not the same, you know.

Meegan,
It takes a while to get used to the amplification but your brain will adapt and it will begin to sound normal. For me it takes about 4-5 days each time they are adjusted to get used to the new sound, but for others it can take longer. Keep a journal where you list any problems you are having and where you have them to show your audi on the next visit, it will help them in making the necessary adjustments.

Meegan,
It takes a while to get used to the amplification but your brain will adapt and it will begin to sound normal. For me it takes about 4-5 days each time they are adjusted to get used to the new sound, but for others it can take longer. Keep a journal where you list any problems you are having and where you have them to show your audi on the next visit, it will help them in making the necessary adjustments.

Thanks seb. I think it's starting to get easier but sometimes I find it overwhelming n have to take them out. Great idea to keep a journal about ha.

Hi MeeganB

I'm also in Oz, though in Perth. I have moderate/Severe loss ( Started losing my hearing in 2008, but it didn't get to be a real problem until 2011), and started wearing HA's about a year and a half ago. I'm still getting used to them although it takes time.

There's lots of great advice here, and remember you're not alone in this, getting used to HA's is fairly traumatic. I couldn't even go to the local pub because I found it so noisy!

Thank you for your reply bebonang. Is it better to start ASL now? Do most people's hearing get worst??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Learning ASL won't work in Australia....I don't think most of the others didn't realise that you are from Australia, I can help you. I am from Canberra, Australia. and I am an frequent user on AD (Alldeaf)

We use Australian Sign Language aka AUSLAN, here in our country. (I am fluent in it) and I am deaf, and I am 27. Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions or want some resources to get you started.

Being late deafened can be scary to start with, but don't fret yourself, you can't let anyone or yourself think differently like the others, we all are not different, we are all same human beings, only let alone these ears not working, that's all.

We all function like the others, so for your position as an late-deafened, and still young, it is strongly recommended to start learning AUSLAN while young, it is more difficult to learn at a later age (no offence to these learners!)

I think audi should tell people getting hearing aids for the first time it will take time getting use to all the new and difference sounds they'll be hearing.
And it might be best to keep the volume down when going out until you get use the sounds . But Audi are not deaf and hoh I think clueless in someway about it like hearing new sounds for first time.

They are digital I'm pretty sure. They are the seimens pure.

Ah, yes. Seimens was the last hearing aide I had, and it's pretty good, although I had to adjust the settings several times before the right fit was found. That is a digital hearing aide.

noticed you're a Siemens user, so am I! (those were my 1st pair as a baby so it's way old than we are) :D

I think audi should tell people getting hearing aids for the first time it will take time getting use to all the new and difference sounds they'll be hearing.
And it might be best to keep the volume down when going out until you get use the sounds . But Audi are not deaf and hoh I think clueless in someway about it like hearing new sounds for first time.

I think I will get my audio to change my setting currently it's set to auto and I can't control the volume hence why I think I'm struggling with it. I think they should def warn you about the toll it takes on you to start wearing ha for the first time

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Hi my names Megan and im 25.
Two months ago I went for my first hearing test to find out I have moderate hearing loss and needed hearing aids.
here in Australia the government fund them until you are 26 so I was so lucky to receive a pair before my birthday. My family seem to think I've lost my hearing in the past 6 months and at this stage I was told there is no way of telling how quickly I could continue to loose it or it may stay the same.
I don't have any friends that are deaf so I'm looking for someone to talk to that can relate.
Did anyone have alot of issues getting used to a new loud world
I am having trouble with my aids n find that I'm afraid to talk with people as I hate the way I sound. Also there is so much noise constantly lime an ocean sound is this normal??

I've told a few of my l close friends but haven't told many people as I'm scared of being treated differently

Thanks megan :wave:

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to step in here. You said you're afraid to talk to people because you're afraid of the way you sound. You just started to notice your hearing loss at the MAX 6 months ago. This would DEFINITELY not be long enough to hit you in ANY sort of voice distortion. The only thing that MIGHT be a mild problem for you ( Which from the looks of things and having hearing aids shouldn't be that big of a deal being things are loud for you ) is that you would talk too loudly. Being things seem to be loud for you, this should be of no issue to you. That being said, your voice would not be affected to where you will sound any different and you would not be hit with the "Deaf voice." Not at the age of 25. You have had your whole life to have your voice form and develop... your voice is pretty much set. I have friends of mine who are late deafened who lost their hearing when they were in their late teens and now in their late twenties early 30's who you can still not tell and their voices are exactly the same. ( They wear H.A.'s or have a C.I. ) You have no reason to fear talking to people in the slightest being afraid of how you sound, your voice has not been and more than likely with a 99% probability will not be affected by the loss of your hearing at this late of an age with the assistance of hearing aids. MAYBE way way down the road by a teeny bit.... but definitely not right now, and definitely not in the foreseeable future...

As far as being treated differently, everyone is treated differently for one reason or another. Some people have glasses, some people are fat, some people are black or white or Hispanic... some are Deaf.... there will always be a** holes who treat people differently. You can't spend life worrying about people treating you differently or you are going to spend 80% of your life worrying about everything and indoors. You will never get out there and go. Don't worry about what other people think. Your true friends and family will be there to support and stand up for you regardless of what changes you go through and what happens to you. Those are the people that matter. The people that matter are the ones that will get to know you for you, not for what is "wrong" with you or whatever. Being Deaf or in your case deaf is not a hindrance or anything to be ashamed of. It is simply a hurdle you must learn to overcome. There are many worse things out there, I assure you.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to step in here. You said you're afraid to talk to people because you're afraid of the way you sound. You just started to notice your hearing loss at the MAX 6 months ago. This would DEFINITELY not be long enough to hit you in ANY sort of voice distortion. The only thing that MIGHT be a mild problem for you ( Which from the looks of things and having hearing aids shouldn't be that big of a deal being things are loud for you ) is that you would talk too loudly. Being things seem to be loud for you, this should be of no issue to you. That being said, your voice would not be affected to where you will sound any different and you would not be hit with the "Deaf voice." Not at the age of 25. You have had your whole life to have your voice form and develop... your voice is pretty much set. I have friends of mine who are late deafened who lost their hearing when they were in their late teens and now in their late twenties early 30's who you can still not tell and their voices are exactly the same. ( They wear H.A.'s or have a C.I. ) You have no reason to fear talking to people in the slightest being afraid of how you sound, your voice has not been and more than likely with a 99% probability will not be affected by the loss of your hearing at this late of an age with the assistance of hearing aids. MAYBE way way down the road by a teeny bit.... but definitely not right now, and definitely not in the foreseeable future...

As far as being treated differently, everyone is treated differently for one reason or another. Some people have glasses, some people are fat, some people are black or white or Hispanic... some are Deaf.... there will always be a** holes who treat people differently. You can't spend life worrying about people treating you differently or you are going to spend 80% of your life worrying about everything and indoors. You will never get out there and go. Don't worry about what other people think. Your true friends and family will be there to support and stand up for you regardless of what changes you go through and what happens to you. Those are the people that matter. The people that matter are the ones that will get to know you for you, not for what is "wrong" with you or whatever. Being Deaf or in your case deaf is not a hindrance or anything to be ashamed of. It is simply a hurdle you must learn to overcome. There are many worse things out there, I assure you.

Wow calm down this is supposed to be a supportive place.....
I'm not saying that my voice has changed. I'm talking about the way things are sounding to ME!! As in the everything sounds electronic and robotic. I know this is something I will get used too but at the moment I have to push myself to speak with people I don't know.

And trust me I know there are much worse things out there than being deaf or HOH. I'm a nurse who deals with illness and death daily.
If you don't have nice supportive things to say to knew people on this site maybe you shouldn't post in this section. This is new to some of us and we r looking for people to talk to and suggestions on ways of coping and altering our lifestyle

If I was being un-supportive, you would know... ;)

The way you worded your previous paragraph would lead others to believe you were referring to verbal distortions in your voice.

I am an Advanced Physicians Assistant who works in triage, I assure you... I know as well. My years in medical school ( with internship ) and working in triage trump anything you can compare, this I also assure you.

Everyone is welcome to post wherever. If you don't expect comments of varying degrees and viewpoints, do not post threads. My comment was not meant to be taken as un-supportive. Frankly, my last paragraph was meant to be quite motivating and encouraging. I apologize you can't see it that way.

Hi! My mother in law cannot talk either. She s 83 yrs old . I am so sorry about you not being able to talk. Wow, I cannot imagine your frustration! You sound like a very patient and kind person. Yea, I think your family ought to learn sign ! My gosh.... They might put themselves in your situation. I can help you learn more, ok? I ve worked with lots of people including kids! Please let me know if I can be of assistAnce. God bless you!

Hi! My mother in law cannot talk either. She s 83 yrs old . I am so sorry about you not being able to talk. Wow, I cannot imagine your frustration! You sound like a very patient and kind person. Yea, I think your family ought to learn sign ! My gosh.... They might put themselves in your situation. I can help you learn more, ok? I ve worked with lots of people including kids! Please let me know if I can be of assistAnce. God bless you!

What are you talking about? The OP is a recently late deafened person.

She never said she can't talk.

And there isn't any reason to feel sorry for voice off people anyway.

Back