Looking to upgrade my hearing aids. Digitals suitable for profoundly deaf?

Mark Rejhon

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any fully 100% digital BTE's with at least 70+db peak gain and at least 115db+ max output? I think I heard some of the newer models now do.

Here is my pure tone audiometry dated 1997 (virtually unchanged over the years, the 1992 is about the same), for those curious:

RIGHT EAR:
SAT=90db SPEECH DISCRIMINATION SCORE=4% MCL=110db
250 Hz: 95 db (line to next dot)
500 Hz: 95 db (line to next dot)
1000 Hz: 105 db (line to next dot)
2000 Hz: 115 db (line to next dot)
4000 Hz: 115 db (line ends here)
8000 Hz: 100 Hz (with arrow pointing down)
SNHL

LEFT EAR:
SAT=85db SPEECH DISCRIMINATION SCORE=0% MCL=110db
250 Hz: 85 db (line to next dot)
500 Hz: 95 db (line to next dot)
1000 Hz: 105 db (line to next dot)
2000 Hz: 115 db (line to next dot)
4000 Hz: 115 db (line ends here)
8000 Hz: 100 Hz (with arrow pointing down)
SNHL

As of 1997, the only digital or programmable BTE's that was suitable was the Unitron US80-S. (83db peak gain, and about 128db max output). Typically worn at a volume setting of about 3-4 out of 5 because these hearing aids were too loud for my ears sometimes. However, I no longer have them because one got lost and the other broke down. Now wearing some older hearing aids now (presently a sole working Unitron UE12-PPL, worn in one of my ears at a time). Even with the loudness of the original US80-S, I can't understand much speech because of the severe frequency dip at 2000-4000 Hz area, and I've got poor speech comprehension because lots of sounds sound exactly the same to my ears. Am wondering if newer digitals will help significantly;

In any case, I'd still like to ugprade to new hearing aids, since I am a self employed business and I travel to meet hearing people. So any improvements will be helpful. My lipreading even while watching and hearing at maximum volume, is usually only about 30% for a stranger, and about 50-60% for people I know. I'm hoping a new digital will make it closer to 50-70% or maybe better.

Purchase will likely be anytime between now and the summer. Researching now.

Ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks,
Mark

Just want to add that I pretty much have 0% comprehension of speech spoken behind me, even with the world's best hearing aids. So many words sound the same. However, hearing aids do improve my ability to lipread somewhat, and the Unitron programmables did seem to make a small difference, and I am hoping digitals will a better incremental improvement than the old programmables.

In regards to CI, I have an earlier post about that, and that is on the table but I want to delay it as long as possible ;) Perhaps never. Note: If you have new information about CI to warn/tell/hype/announce to me about, please read my earlier CI post from a few months ago....please do not talk about CI *unless* you have read my big post about CI.... do a forum search...... I'm really looking for information about digital hearing aids in this post.

I wear my hearing aids about 50% of the time. But now that I do fly about 3 soley-business trips annually (like CES 2004, CEDIA 2003, etc.) and have to mingle with hearing strangers, hearing aids are starting to become a little more important again, need to make my business life a little easier again. I am self employed.

Last edited:
The Supero 413AZ hearing-aids could be just what you're looking for. They have a peak gain of 81dB, max output of 145dB.

http://www.phonak.com/consumer/products/instruments/digital/supero/superooverview/supero413az.htm

As a profoundly deaf person who has been wearing analog hearing-aids for 15 years, the whole digital coup has only just recently caught my attention. I've never learnt sign language and have always gotten along OK with everybody at my school, since I speak as well as everyone else. I'll be trying on digital hearing-aids next week for the first time. Any chance of increasing my hearing comprehension in difficult situations is very important to me, both socially and academically. I really don't know how much digital hearing-aids help, so maybe my hopes are a bit too high.
Let me know if those hearing-aids were the type you were after.
Regards,

-systeme

Last edited:
Our hearing loss is slightly similar. To give you an idea.

Right Ear
Speech Discrimination= 0%, MCL= 90db

250Hz:85 db
500Hz:85 db
1000Hz:105 db
2000Hz: 115 db
4000Hz: 115 db
8000Hz: 100 db

I tried wearing hearing aids, but everything sounded muffled. Perhaps with the advancement in technology it may be possible.

On the other hand,

My Left Ear

Speech Discrimination =65%, MCL= 90db

250Hz:80 db
500Hz:75 db
1000Hz: 90 db
2000Hz: 90db
4000Hz: 95db
8000Hz: 95db

In this ear I wear a Siemens digital hearing. It helps a lot. I've had it for over 6 years, and it still works great.
I wore analog hearing aids for 18 years, and then switched to digital. I remember the day like it was yesterday. After I got fitted, I could hear sounds I've never heard before, birds chirping, car door locking, even when people talked to me I could hear them so much better. My speech changed as well, it actually improved.
My suggestion would be.. to wear a hearing aid on the ear that hears better. Two hearing aids is not always better than one, it sometimes distorts sound.

Also another thing what does SAT mean, I could not find it on my Audiogram.
What is the difference between SAT and MCL?

Thank You, and good luck.

Ginette

Last edited:
That's really ironic that you asked that question because i just got back from my audiology appointment.

I wear digital hearing aids and they are very convienient! If something with your hearing changes they can fix the aid because it is a computer chip and is charge free (here in Canada anyway) That happened with me, my hearing got worse ( i have sensoneurial hearing loss: nerve damage from meds) and coz i got sick last year and was pumped to shit with antibiotics, it got worse, but my doc. make adjustments "accordingly" and now i can hear again!

And about the speech part: it's so true! Ppl say i sound clearer, coz i can hear myself. YAY!

hearing aid

I wore Power Zoom of Phonak but the aids became scrapped within two years .This may be due to sweating more in hot country India in summer.The dealer was claiming that aids were water proof.Now Company is asking very high amount for repair.This was duty of company to launch their high cost products taking all consideration of the country.But who cares for poor countries.My parents are upset.Now I am wearing analogue aids.
They are offering me SUPERO and claiming 86 db gain and 145 db output but I have to wait for some time because my parents are making efforts to collect money for me. :devil: :pissed: :confused: :liar: :tears: :deaf:

Yeah, I think digital ones are convient for profoundly deaf. You should get them, see how they work.

I wear the old analog hearing aids, but my mother wants to get me digital ones instead of a CI or implanted ones. No way will I ever get those!

dmarenz said:
Yeah, I think digital ones are convient for profoundly deaf. You should get them, see how they work.

I wear the old analog hearing aids, but my mother wants to get me digital ones instead of a CI or implanted ones. No way will I ever get those!
mm which is best for profound hearing loss? digital or analog?...Im going to need new hearing aids before too long as my old one is getting worn out..I guess i will just ask the audiologist which is best for my type of hearing loss..probably by taking hearing test and then he will tell me which is best..heh..

mm which is best for profound hearing loss? digital or analog?...Im going to need new hearing aids before too long as my old one is getting worn out..I guess i will just ask the audiologist which is best for my type of hearing loss..probably by taking hearing test and then he will tell me which is best..heh..
Don't know....you gotta experiament and see what works best for you. Some people love their digital aids, others are perfectly happy with analogs (like power aids or Super Maximum Output (SUMO) aids) Take advantage of the trial period and experiment. But do try Phonaks and Oticons....those are DAMN amazing aids!

deafdyke said:
Don't know....you gotta experiament and see what works best for you. Some people love their digital aids, others are perfectly happy with analogs (like power aids or Super Maximum Output (SUMO) aids) Take advantage of the trial period and experiment. But do try Phonaks and Oticons....those are DAMN amazing aids!
Oh ok i understand...I will check into Phonaks and Oticons! especially if they are good and powerful ones, that i need! thanks! deafdyke

I have digital, and lately i've been noticing that when i go to touch it when it's in, or if i lay my head down, they screech. I've had it for 3 years...could that be it?

Mark,

I am impressed to see your website and your service. I could not believe that you are really smart and very young to run your own business. I own a small frame shop.

I met a few deaf people who wear Widex hearing aids, and they are profound deaf. They speak and listen very well. I am thinking about purchasing the Widex digital hearing aids in a few months. I think this model is the most expensive one. I think you should try this brand to see if you like the sounds. Good luck!

http://www.widex.com

Well, define "profoundly". For most, it means out of the range of spoken language, in my opinion but there are some whose loss is progressive and their brain retains the memory of speech, etc. There's so many variables around this, we could discuss this till the cows come home! lol

Well, define "profoundly". For most, it means out of the range of spoken language,
Yeah, but Tousi, isn't there a significent (albielt small) percentage of profoundly deaf people who are functionally hoh with hearing aids?

deafdyke said:
Yeah, but Tousi, isn't there a significent (albielt small) percentage of profoundly deaf people who are functionally hoh with hearing aids?
Yes u are right! deafdyke....Im profoundly deaf when i dont wear my hearing aid, but is HOH with hearing aid...it amazes my husband cuz he knows i cant hear a thing without my hearing aid, he said he yelled into my ear while i was asleep one time and i didnt even flinch! LOL! so im hoh WITH hearing aid on!
heh..

Deafdyke......."significant (albeit small)" doesn't compute for me! :mrgreen:

Defee said:
Yes u are right! deafdyke....Im profoundly deaf when i dont wear my hearing aid, but is HOH with hearing aid...it amazes my husband cuz he knows i cant hear a thing without my hearing aid, he said he yelled into my ear while i was asleep one time and i didnt even flinch! LOL! so im hoh WITH hearing aid on! heh..

Your husband needs to pulling bunches of hairy from your ears. You hearing level may increase. Have him to find a little special razor blade shave inside your ears. :mrgreen:

Sabrina said:
Your husband needs to pulling bunches of hairy from your ears. You hearing level may increase. Have him to find a little special razor blade shave inside your ears. :mrgreen:
haha..Sabby...
maybe thats why YOU cant wear hearing aids!...you got way too much hairy in your own ears..you need to go to barber shop and have him shave the hairy thangs outa your ears! lol! :nana:
Besides....i dont have any hairs or even wax in my ears! (its hereditary thing that my family dont have....wax in our ears!) so there!!! :nana:

Defee said:
haha..Sabby...
maybe thats why YOU cant wear hearing aids!...you got way too much hairy in your own ears..you need to go to barber shop and have him shave the hairy thangs outa your ears! lol! :nana:
Besides....i dont have any hairs or even wax in my ears! (its hereditary thing that my family dont have....wax in our ears!) so there!!! :nana:

barber shop and salon banned me because I have alot of flea in my ears. I did rather to be Deaf entire in my life. ;) I did not wear a flea collar because odie loves to smooches around my neck. I would not mind to keep the fleas in my hairy ears. :D

Otherwise, I am proud to be :deaf:

Sabrina said:
barber shop and salon banned me because I have alot of flea in my ears. I did rather to be Deaf entire in my life. ;) I did not wear a flea collar because odie loves to smooches around my neck. I would not mind to keep the fleas in my hairy ears. :D

Otherwise, I am proud to be :deaf:
*clap clap clap* gooood for you!!!
but, but..wont fleas make you itch real bad? you will scratch your ears like a dog and then the fleas will get on your boyfriend! yikes! he might have to buy a flea spray...lol!.............. :scatter:

Back