Looking for new ear molds? are ear molds being phased out?

Thanks everyone! My audie seems to want to get me with the dome ear buds but is concerned about background noise. Any recommendations for the best place to buy a good pair of ear molds online?
Tell your Audie to get them for you. It’s his/her job.

NaidaUP we have so many members that live in the USA that I am not sure that many of our new members realize that the Boston where you reside is in the UK. I know I was confused at first. That makes me think that the Lloyds that you refer to is also in the UK. Is that correct?

According to my googling.. no- the Lloyd's NaidaUP is referring to is ... surprise... in the USA... in ILLINOIS in fact. Whether or not NaidaUP is in Boston UK or Boston USA I have no idea on nor do I care... this lloyds has a website..

https://lloydhearingaid.com/

Here is an older though short- thread on ear molds--
http://www.alldeaf.com/threads/taking-your-own-earmold-impression.95746/

Last edited:
NaidaUP we have so many members that live in the USA that I am not sure that many of our new members realize that the Boston where you reside is in the UK. I know I was confused at first. That makes me think that the Lloyds that you refer to is also in the UK. Is that correct?

There's no such thing as Lloyds in the UK. I was referring to the USA Lloyds.

I would love to do my own earmolds but there's no such thing as that, in the UK.

Last edited:

I would love to do my own earmolds but there's no such thing as that, in the UK.

Hey at least your HA and all the stuff is free. I would switch online earmolds in a heart beat for that!

Tell your Audie to get them for you. It’s his/her job.

You're so right. However in CO my Medicaid pays 0$ for my HAs. I'm already shelling out $5200 if I can get good quality customized ear molds online for $100-$200 I'll do that instead of adding $1000 to my already outrageous bill! :)

You're so right. However in CO my Medicaid pays 0$ for my HAs. I'm already shelling out $5200 if I can get good quality customized ear molds online for $100-$200 I'll do that instead of adding $1000 to my already outrageous bill! :)
Ear molds are only about $75 each. I can't remember if that was included in the cost of the hearing aid (subsequent ones were on my dime).

I did not know about Lloyds as I had not known about DIY earmolds until seeing them mentioned on this site.

Could you order then from the US? I have seen postings about ordering things from the UK while living in the US. Just reverse the process!

Yep you won't be paying that much for earmolds. I pay in the UK around £70 for a pair. They won't be that much in the US.

Hey at least your HA and all the stuff is free. I would switch online earmolds in a heart beat for that!

The NHS is cutting back unfortunately and we (in my area I live in) are having to pay for earmolds now as the NHS will only provide earmolds every 4 years.

My Medicare/Medicaid pays for HA's. There is an upper threshold at which they won't pay, both in quality and need. For most of us here, HA's are essential. Without them, I would be enrolling in a crash course in sign, being functionally deaf.

I have used Lloyds for years. You get quality earmolds at a good price. Only once have had an issue - I asked for no vent but I was sent ones with a vent. They remade them without charging an additional fee.

The NHS is cutting back unfortunately and we (in my area I live in) are having to pay for earmolds now as the NHS will only provide earmolds every 4 years.

My hearing aids cost over $5000 and my Medicaid won't pay a cent. Thanks Colorado. It's not like my glasses where I can go buy a good pair for $50-100 at Costco. I'm applying with DVR but that could take 6 months minimum and only end up covering half. I'm working two full time jobs in addition to being in school, just so I can hear (and do other stuff but a lot of my extra hours now are to save up for my HAs)

When did that come out? I got new moulds a couple of months ago and no one mentioned anything about this.

Definitely don't just switch over an aid programmed for domes to moulds yourself, it needs to be reprogrammed for moulds. If you are planning to get moulds, get them first then get programmed right, unless your coverage lets you go back easily and get the programming changed.

Domes can be OK, though, I have "powerdomes" which is a double full dome, works better for me than any traditional moulds ever did, they either came out all the time or hurt as I have a hypermobile jaw. I still have to shove them back in every time I eat or yawn and several times a day for no apparent reason, but they don't make my ears bleed that often! My favourite was custom tips, it's like a dome in size but custom made to impressions. Stopped buying them when they stopped giving a 1 year warranty as they fell apart sooner, but hope to go back to them if I can find a better warranty.

Back