Looking for insight on how to communicate with my deaf cousin.

Lori Ann

Reaction score
When my cousin and I were little we would lay in bed with a flash light and a poster of the sign language alphabet so we could communicate. They moved around a lot and have recently with the awesome technology of today it is very nice to keep in touch. She has cancer Again. Her sister and I are going to take her back home and to the beach.
My question is, it is very hard for me because she is usually dominating the conversation. I think that she believes she can lip read but I don't think she understands as much as she thinks. I want this trip to be awesome for her and I want her to be included in every thing. Is there any technology out there that you know of that can help the communication between her and the other hearing people we'll be around???

Ava didn't work for me. Tested it whole summer. Such a pain.
Guys developing Ava are nice though.
I did my best to get benefited from it, but it didn't work.
Maybe try again. When I first downloaded it the text was way off, but when I used it later it was better. I haven't "connected" with anyone yet, just used it at a small table to demo what it does recently.

It doesn't matter. Good speech recognizing API doesn't exist yet. They don't write speech recognizing API by themselves, it depends on the API they reuse.
I live in a very diverse place. I still have an Ava on my phone though, tested it recently already. Still sucks.
It works better for my kids, that have a correct American speech, but still way off most of the time.

Back