Looking for advice

cameron woodbury

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Cameron and I lost my hearing my first semester of college and dropped out for the semester. I was looking to get a cochlear implant but I'm not sure it's going to happen anymore because of complications. I'm learning sign language and teaching my sisters sign language as well. My issue is whether I should go back to school. I was wondering if anyone has any advice to share on being deaf at a hearing university and if you have problems with learning. I also have a lot of family issues with people refusing to speak to me since I'm deaf even though we live under the same household. I'm open to all advice and anything that's said is greatly appreciated.

Go back - get CART so you're able to follow along. Once you become fluent in Sign Language, then you might want to get interpreters instead, but for the moment, get CART and continue with your studies :)

Yes, definitely go back to college. If the college your were attending is not providing the appropriate accommodations or if you want to be immersed in Deaf Culture, check out NTID or Gallaudet University.

Try to stay with your college classes so you don't break the momentum of being a student.

Check with the college disabilities office to see what options they offer (don't delay). Like Anij posted, try CART. If nothing else, try an online class. If you quit, it will be harder to start up again.

Try to stay with your college classes so you don't break the momentum of being a student.

Check with the college disabilities office to see what options they offer (don't delay). Like Anij posted, try CART. If nothing else, try an online class. If you quit, it will be harder to start up again.
Thank you!

And just as a word of advice, I would see if you could do a semester or a year at Gally or NTID. Then you could learn ASL via immersian!

Hello everyone, my name is Cameron and I lost my hearing my first semester of college and dropped out for the semester. I was looking to get a cochlear implant but I'm not sure it's going to happen anymore because of complications. I'm learning sign language and teaching my sisters sign language as well. My issue is whether I should go back to school. I was wondering if anyone has any advice to share on being deaf at a hearing university and if you have problems with learning. I also have a lot of family issues with people refusing to speak to me since I'm deaf even though we live under the same household. I'm open to all advice and anything that's said is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE

I wouldn't worry so much about learning sign language unless you live in an area where there are a lot of people that use it.
colleges today have great resources for students with hearing problems. Contact the college and tell them the problem you are having. You can get lots of assistance. They have note takers, closed captioning, amplification, T coil looped rooms, anything you need.
It is difficult to let others know what you need. You yourself may not be sure of what you need and have to try different levels of assistance. Colleges are funded for this service. Cochlear implant will help. It does take some time to learn how to hear with one.
The more you use it the better it will work. Different people are better at it than others. On your own I would get on a site like lip reading.org practice which can't do anything but help. Most people don't sign and most environments are terrible for hearing. It will be up to you to learn how to adapt. Good luck you'll do well it just takes some work. Try to not look at the difficulty as a problem see it as a hurdle to get over around or just accept sometimes.
craig

Back