List of Streaming Services with CC/Subtitles [Netflix, AppleTV, Vudu, Amazon, etc]

Ah, Mr. CrazyPaul, I misread your question. Neither of these players has a built-in CC decoder. In fact, I've never seen any player, DVD nor Bluray, which did that (although I've heard rumors of one DVD player in the distant past). The players I posted above simply transmit the CC data found on the disc on line 21 of the composite video output. Not all players do, which has been the case with DVD players as well.
OK, That's why I was puzzled in the first place. BTW, FCC's new law will require all new DVD/BD players to include a built-in CC decoder starting in 2014 hopefully so we will be able to play DVDs with CC through HDMI.

I haven't read the new rules. I wonder, though, will it really require a CC decoder? Or will the be able to comply because they can display subtitles already? That seems to be the trend, at least with regard to CC over HDMI.

I haven't read the new rules. I wonder, though, will it really require a CC decoder? Or will the be able to comply because they can display subtitles already? That seems to be the trend, at least with regard to CC over HDMI.
http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...-releases-television-ip-captioning-rules.html

-the HDMI hole is closed (hooray!). Starting in 2014, DVD and BluRay players must support CC over HDMI with set-top boxes also required to support them.
-caption quality requirements with respect to fonts, sizes, etc. were adopted.

I've read just a little about this, and need to do more research. But, I think they are not going to add CC to the HDMI interface, which in my opinion would be the easiest solution (with one possible problem, below). Instead, it looks to me that each and every source will decode and overlay CC text on the video to meet this new requirement. The problem I see with that approach is now you are going to have all number of manufacturers making their own CC decoders. If someone has carefully shopped for a certain television because the captioning style, font, user control features, etc., that decoder won't be used when watching DVD or satellite or cable. In this scenario, you will have a CC decoder in your satellite/cable box, one in your DVD/BD player, and maybe in your PVR too. In addition to the one in your TV set.

The one problem with my scenario, adding CC to the HDMI interface, is that these days people might be using a HD monitor rather than a TV. A monitor isn't required to have a CC decoder.

I've read just a little about this, and need to do more research. But, I think they are not going to add CC to the HDMI interface, which in my opinion would be the easiest solution (with one possible problem, below). Instead, it looks to me that each and every source will decode and overlay CC text on the video to meet this new requirement. The problem I see with that approach is now you are going to have all number of manufacturers making their own CC decoders. If someone has carefully shopped for a certain television because the captioning style, font, user control features, etc., that decoder won't be used when watching DVD or satellite or cable. In this scenario, you will have a CC decoder in your satellite/cable box, one in your DVD/BD player, and maybe in your PVR too. In addition to the one in your TV set.

The one problem with my scenario, adding CC to the HDMI interface, is that these days people might be using a HD monitor rather than a TV. A monitor isn't required to have a CC decoder.
I don't see a problem with that, do you? What's more, HDMI is not designed to carry "invisible" CC, thus that's why all set-top boxes need the decoder in order to be able to use HDMI to watch CC. I have a FiOS DVR that has the decoder and it is connected via HDMI. I am perfectly happy with it.

Yes, I understand that will work. It just doesn't seem to be the simplest solution. While HDMI doesn't have CC defined, it would be almost trivial to add CC to the specification. Especially when you consider all the other interfaces that they've added over the past few years - 3D video, CEC, audio back channel, even ethernet. Compared to those, adding a channel to carry CC, or even piggybacking CC onto an existing channel, would be simple. Anyway, looks like that ain't gonna happen.

Yes, I understand that will work. It just doesn't seem to be the simplest solution. While HDMI doesn't have CC defined, it would be almost trivial to add CC to the specification. Especially when you consider all the other interfaces that they've added over the past few years - 3D video, CEC, audio back channel, even ethernet. Compared to those, adding a channel to carry CC, or even piggybacking CC onto an existing channel, would be simple. Anyway, looks like that ain't gonna happen.
OK, I would like to know how much a CC chip costs (to be installed in an equipment). Do you have any idea? $100 or less?

Well, its not so simple an answer as that. The point is that a HD TV already has a CC decoder for over-the-air broadcasts. If a mechanism was available to carry the same CC data over the HDMI link, in theory there would be little or no additional cost, just additional firmware to re-route the data.

As for adding a CC decoder to an HD monitor, it isn't clear. If the monitor already had the ability to generate OSD text (say, for user setup menus), it's possible that implementing a CC decoder could be entirely in firmware. But even that doesn't mean it's free, because sometimes adding firmware increases memory usage and requires a larger ROM and/or RAM chip.

EIA-608 would be easier to implement than 708, but I've heard that most 708 captions being transmitted are simply trans-coded 608-style (that is, don't take advantage of the extra 708 features).

On the player side of things, it's almost guaranteed that any player would NOT have a CC decoder existing. And even though they might have OSD text capabilities, my experience with DVD players is that such capability isn't readily accessible for displaying closed captions during playback. I'm guessing it would be more difficult to add CC decoder to a player than to a monitor.

Well, its not so simple an answer as that. The point is that a HD TV already has a CC decoder for over-the-air broadcasts. If a mechanism was available to carry the same CC data over the HDMI link, in theory there would be little or no additional cost, just additional firmware to re-route the data.

As for adding a CC decoder to an HD monitor, it isn't clear. If the monitor already had the ability to generate OSD text (say, for user setup menus), it's possible that implementing a CC decoder could be entirely in firmware. But even that doesn't mean it's free, because sometimes adding firmware increases memory usage and requires a larger ROM and/or RAM chip.

EIA-608 would be easier to implement than 708, but I've heard that most 708 captions being transmitted are simply trans-coded 608-style (that is, don't take advantage of the extra 708 features).

On the player side of things, it's almost guaranteed that any player would NOT have a CC decoder existing. And even though they might have OSD text capabilities, my experience with DVD players is that such capability isn't readily accessible for displaying closed captions during playback. I'm guessing it would be more difficult to add CC decoder to a player than to a monitor.
OK, so it seems that you know what you are talking about since you are CCman.

However, hopefully starting in 2014, under FCC's new law all new BD players will be required to include a decoder so we will be able to watch old DVDs with CC (alot of them have no subtitles) through the BD player with HDMI connection (1080p output). That will make me and other deaf customers happy.

Indeed it seems you are correct. Bottom line, the CC will be visible. I think the solution they came up with is kind of crazy, but it can certainly work.

I wonder, on the media side, will they require all discs to contain closed captions as well? Not many Blu-ray movies have CC.

SAMSUNG BD-C5500
SONY BDP-S360

Both of these are no longer sold, but if you check the respective websites it looks like both have a follow-on model in the same family (BD-C6500 and BDP-S390).

Beware.. I have the BDP-S390

Despite box labeled hulu plus, you cannot get hulu plus "captions" (really their closed subtitles) through this blu ray

Nor has it CC decoder...

You can only see subtitles if included on the Blu ray dvd's

Its useless to use to stream hulu plus captioned offers (again the industry mis uses captions where they use subtitles..I can on my PC see the hulu plus "captions" through the PC has no CC decoder so hulu really sends subtitles albeit "closed and calls em closed captions)

The thing is when I watch with PC, my hulu plus acct automatic does their "CC" as my profile is set to use em, so no problem with PC.. with blu ray DVD I suspect my acct setting to automatic display "CC" doesn't work for such streaming.. only if sent to the PC.. or sonys hulu plus app lacks the support their(hulus) player for PC has

This blu ray model has no support for one to access their hulu plus profile/acct via blu ray device so cant even manually turn on hulus "CC"

Been in touch with Sony and Hulu techs..sony passed buck to hulu.

For me slapping a hulu-plus on the blu ray box is smacking of fradulute advertising as it infers that their blu ray supports ALL that one gets from Hulu plus.. but nope.. its 100 pct good for hearing peeps.. otherwise.. its ok as a blu ray DVD player but useless as a streaming device.

Just to clarify: I work for a closed captioning company and can confirm that no Blu Ray player supports closed captioning. It's a technical problem with Blu-Ray that it doesn't support line 21 format at all, so it's either subtitles or nothing.

Actually...

If talking of the blu ray player DECODING CC, true..I know of none with built in decoder...

However the Sony BDP S390 I have has 2 ways to connect, via HDMI (and so no line 21 thu that)
and also Video (3 wire composite..1 video 2 audio wires)

I can go into the blu ray settings and switch the video/screen output between the hdmi and video..with both connected to my TV..(has 4 hdmi, 2 component, 2 composite, 3 s-video inputs..a phillips HDTV)

With Video output selected I can play back my older DVD's in my BLU Ray player and the line 21 is passed to the TV via the video connection (of course via the HDMI other connection it will not work)

I just watched some TJ Hooker episodes on an old DVD playing back through the Video connection from blu ray player (480i) and the line 21 CC are there on the TV.

Actually...
I just watched some TJ Hooker episodes on an old DVD playing back through the Video connection from blu ray player (480i) and the line 21 CC are there on the TV.

If you had any Blu-ray discs with CC, you could do the same with them as well. See my reply #36 above.

March 2013 update is much better, and finally captions have arrived on most Netflix material in Canada (seems to be >75% now). Most deaf people being visual people wanting the best image quality, enable SuperHD on Netflix. SuperHD also works in Canada; but you must go to netflix.com Settings and enable the maximum bitrate (if you have Unlimited Internet). Not much captions on Vudu or Amazon yet (and not in Canada), but they're slowly starting to comply with new FCC legislation.

Services supporting CC/Subtitles
- Netflix: Captioning is supported. (most material in USA, majority of material in Canada)
- iTunes: Captioning is supported. (plenty of material, not as much as Netflix)
- Vudu: NEW! Captioning is supported, USA only. (started late 2012)
- Amazon: NEW! Captioning is supported, USA only. (started late 2012)

March 2013 update is much better, and finally captions have arrived on most Netflix material in Canada (seems to be >75% now). Being visual people wanting the best quality, enable SuperHD on Netflix. SuperHD also works in Canada; but you must go to netflix.com Settings and enable the maximum bitrate (if you have Unlimited Internet). Not much captions on Vudu or Amazon yet (and not in Canada), but they're slowly starting to comply with new FCC legislation.

Services supporting CC/Subtitles
- Netflix: Captioning is supported. (most material in USA, majority of material in Canada)
- iTunes: Captioning is supported. (plenty of material, not as much as Netflix)
- Vudu: NEW! Captioning is supported. (started late 2012)
- Amazon: NEW! Captioning is supported, USA only. (started late 2012)
WTF? FCC is under US government, not Canada government.

Subtitles Steam Movie

Does CinemaNow have subtitle? I rent all different steam movies most are NOT always have subtitle. I disappointment with my old rental movies shut down or out of business. Now what is next I watch? I usually bought blue-ray movies. It always have subtitle on it. But cost is pretty expensive.

CC or Subtitles

I have seen many DVD and Blue-ray which I bought since. DVD is different feature from Blu-ray. Because Blue-ray always have subtitles instead CC. I don't think how different between CC or Subtitles. I can read the subtitles. But problem is CC is fade away now. On TV still have CC. I don't know why most deaf people complained about where is CC. I think that they are not notice that have Subtitle?:naughty:

You can watch Blockbuster On Demand movies on a wide range of electronic devices. Whether you're streaming to your home entertainment system or downloading to your laptop or cell phone to watch on the go, Blockbuster On Demand lets you watch where you want, when you want.

https://www.blockbusternow.com/

I think that they support CC for all movies.

Anyone heard about new ASUS cube? It does have CC/subtitles?

asus-cube.jpg

asus-qube-google-tv.jpg

Back