List of major stores in U.S. are closing.

webexplorer

Reaction score
List of major stores in U.S. are official closing down:

Ann Taylor - closing 117 stores nationwide.

Eddie Bauer has already closed 27 stores.

Cache closing stores. Women's retailer Cache announced that it is closing 20 to 23 stores this year.

Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, Catherines closing 150 stores nationwide.

Talbots, J. Jill - closing stores. About a month ago.

Talbots announced that it will be shuttering all 78 of its kids and men's stores.

Gap Inc. - closing 85 stores. In addition to its namesake chain. Gap also owns Old Navy and Banana Republic.

Foot Locker to close 140 stores.

Wickes is going out of business. Wickes Furniture is going out of business and closing all of its stores. Wickes, a 37-year-old retailer that targets middle-income customers, filed for bankruptcy Protection last month.

Goodbye Levitz / BOMBAY - closed already .

Zales, Piercing Pagoda closing stores. The owner of Zales and Piercing Pagoda previously said it plans to close 82 stores by July 31.

Disney Store owner has the right to close 98 stores. The Walt Disney Company announced it acquired about 220 Disney Stores from subsidiaries of The Children's Place Retail Stores. The exact number of stores acquired will depend on negotiations with landlords.

Home Depot store closings - ATLANTA - Nearly 7+ months after its chief executive said there were no plans to cut the number of its core retail stores.

The Home Depot Inc. announced Thursday that it is shuttering 15 of them amid a slumping U.S. economy and housing market. The move will affect 1,300 employees.. It is the first time The world's largest home improvement store chain has ever closed a flagship store for performance reasons.. Its shares rose almost 5 percent. The Atlanta-based company said the underperforming U.S. stores being closed represent less than 1 percent *of its existing stores . They will be shuttered within the next two months.

CompUSA (CLOSED) clarifies details on store closings any extended warranties purchased for products through CompUSA will be honored by a third-party provider, Assurant Solutions. Gift cards, rain checks, and rebates purchased prior to December 12 can be redeemed at any time during the final sale.. For those who have a gadget currently in for service with CompUSA, the repair will be completed and the gadget will be returned to owners.

Macy's - 9 stores

Movie Gallery - 160 stores as part of reorganization plan to exit bankruptcy. The video rental company plans to close 400 of 3,500.

Sprint Nextel - 125 retail locations New Sprint Nextel CEO Dan Hesse appears to have inherited a company bleeding subscribers by the thousands, and will now officially be dropping the ax on 4,000 employees and 125 retail locations. Amid the loss of 639,000 postpaid customers in the fourth quarter, Sprint will be cutting a total of 6.7%of its work*force (following the 5,000 layoffs last year) and 8% of company-owned brick-and-mortar stores, while remaining mute on other rumors that it will consolidate its headquarters in Kansas. Sprint Nextel shares are down $2.89, or nearly 25%, at the time of this writing.

J. C. Penney, Lowe's and Office Depot are scaling back.

Ethan Allen Interiors: The company announced plans to close 12 of 300+stores in an effort to cut costs.

Pacific Sunwear will close its 154 Demo stores after a review of strategic alternatives for the urban-apparel brand. Seventy-four underperforming Demo stores closed last May.

Sharper Image: The company recently filed for bankruptcy protection and announced that 90 of its 184 stores are closing. The retailer will still operate 94 stores to pay off debts, but 90 of these stores have performed poorly and also may close.

KB Toys posted a list of 356 stores that it is closing around the United States as part of its bankruptcy reorganization.

Dillard's to close more stores Di llard's Inc. said it will continue to focus on closing under performing stores reducing expenses and improving*its merchandise in 2008.

Not on the list is Linens & Things is under liquidation and closing all stores by year end.

And recently, Circuit City, Mervyn's (20% store closings, I believe).

Oh wow, economy must be really sucks and need be recover so badly.

I feel bad for employees that lose the job after store closes.

Lien Things stores are out of business in New England. :( It is my favorite store for home needs.

Cache closing stores. Women's retailer Cache announced that it is closing 20 to 23 stores this year.

Talbots announced that it will be shuttering all 78 of its kids and men's stores.

Gap Inc. - closing 85 stores. In addition to its namesake chain. Gap also owns Old Navy and Banana Republic.

Wickes is going out of business. Wickes Furniture is going out of business and closing all of its stores. Wickes, a 37-year-old retailer that targets middle-income customers, filed for bankruptcy Protection last month.

Zales, Piercing Pagoda closing stores. The owner of Zales and Piercing Pagoda previously said it plans to close 82 stores by July 31.

Disney Store owner has the right to close 98 stores. The Walt Disney Company announced it acquired about 220 Disney Stores from subsidiaries of The Children's Place Retail Stores. The exact number of stores acquired will depend on negotiations with landlords.

Home Depot store closings - ATLANTA - Nearly 7+ months after its chief executive said there were no plans to cut the number of its core retail stores.

The Home Depot Inc. announced Thursday that it is shuttering 15 of them amid a slumping U.S. economy and housing market. The move will affect 1,300 employees.. It is the first time The world's largest home improvement store chain has ever closed a flagship store for performance reasons.. Its shares rose almost 5 percent. The Atlanta-based company said the underperforming U.S. stores being closed represent less than 1 percent *of its existing stores . They will be shuttered within the next two months.

CompUSA (CLOSED) clarifies details on store closings any extended warranties purchased for products through CompUSA will be honored by a third-party provider, Assurant Solutions. Gift cards, rain checks, and rebates purchased prior to December 12 can be redeemed at any time during the final sale.. For those who have a gadget currently in for service with CompUSA, the repair will be completed and the gadget will be returned to owners.

Macy's - 9 stores

Movie Gallery - 160 stores as part of reorganization plan to exit bankruptcy. The video rental company plans to close 400 of 3,500.

Sprint Nextel - 125 retail locations New Sprint Nextel CEO Dan Hesse appears to have inherited a company bleeding subscribers by the thousands, and will now officially be dropping the ax on 4,000 employees and 125 retail locations. Amid the loss of 639,000 postpaid customers in the fourth quarter, Sprint will be cutting a total of 6.7%of its work*force (following the 5,000 layoffs last year) and 8% of company-owned brick-and-mortar stores, while remaining mute on other rumors that it will consolidate its headquarters in Kansas. Sprint Nextel shares are down $2.89, or nearly 25%, at the time of this writing.

Ethan Allen Interiors: The company announced plans to close 12 of 300+stores in an effort to cut costs.

Pacific Sunwear will close its 154 Demo stores after a review of strategic alternatives for the urban-apparel brand. Seventy-four underperforming Demo stores closed last May.

Sharper Image: The company recently filed for bankruptcy protection and announced that 90 of its 184 stores are closing. The retailer will still operate 94 stores to pay off debts, but 90 of these stores have performed poorly and also may close.

KB Toys posted a list of 356 stores that it is closing around the United States as part of its bankruptcy reorganization.

Dillard's to close more stores Di llard's Inc. said it will continue to focus on closing under performing stores reducing expenses and improving*its merchandise in 2008.

Not on the list is Linens & Things is under liquidation and closing all stores by year end.

Bombay closed all of their stores and their on-line shopping site but is restructuring and is planning to open in the USA again.

Hopefully they will open by Christmas because for the last 9 years--I been buying their signature "12 Days of Christmas" snowglobes.

There is nothing worse than having an incomplete collection!

Oh wow, economy must be really sucks and need be recover so badly.

I feel bad for employees that lose the job after store closes.

That's what I was going to say. Off the top of my head, I don't remember seeing this many stores close in such a short period of time.

I hope all of the people who end up losing their jobs find employment again soon. :(

Wow, that is a lot of stores closing. :( It looks like we are in a depression, ofc not as bad as the one in 1929.

Macy's - 9 stores

Cite your sources.

Cite your sources.

Yes, here is the link: snopes.com: Store Closings

I have seen several stores are actually closing their shops in several places including out of states when I visited my friends and my sisters in their town. I don't know what I am planning to buy something if some things are defective that cannot be returned due closing the shops. It is unbelievable!

I received a cable/phone/TV bill that the prices will be increased a few dollars this month. I can't believe it because the company should know better that our U.S. economy is turmoil. It is obvious that the company doesn't care about the problem. I don't know whether other companies are doing the same thing to increase their service's fees.

Even retail stores arent the only ones scaling down. My mom works for Farmer's Insurance and she told me that they are closing several agencies. My mom is not sure if she will have a job next year.

My mom told me not to buy any gift cards for anyone for Xmas since we dont know if any more stores will close making the gift card invalid.

Yeah, It is really sad to see this happening. Not only Major Stores are closing; It is also affecting a lot of small businesses as well.

Not too long ago, Dawahares (It's a retail store that has been passed down from generations for close to 100 years in this state) is putting the screeching halt to close. :(

It is making things a lot more sacred to get hold of.

I'm very sorry for the employees, suppliers, and customers of all those stores.

Of all those stores listed, the only ones I shop at are Lowes, Home Depot, and LNT.

yea.. I look at 2009 year and hope thing will turn world around from 2001 and start over again...

however.. about store closing... it true... I honset... I don't know what is going happen to us.. more closing and then what happen? Hope thing will do it soon as possible.

What upset me about employee people being lost because of it... how they able support their family needed...

I want to tell each one of you.. why not you guy and include myself donor our food cans or something donor that they can recovery on their own to start all over again... The question.. how long will that going recovery... people think it will be lost... What a great people..

So far the only thing local would be Old Navy which is owned by GAP, and I don get the option to go there very often due to money or time constraints.

Never heard of Ann Taylor.

Their clothes are crap.

Never heard of Cache.

Aw, I need Lane Bryant. I'm plus sized and it's one of the few stores that sell good plus size clothes. Fashion Bug has crappy clothes.

Never heard of Talbots.

Their clothes are crap.

I don't care for their crap.

I don't have the kind of money to buy brand new furniture, so I don't care.

Never heard of Levitz/BOMBAY.

I'd rather get my piercings at a body piercing/tattoo shop. It's bad to get your ears gun pierced anyway. It damages your ears.

I'm not a kid anymore, so I don't care.

I rent, so I don't do home repairs. I have the maintentance people to do that, so I don't care.

That sucks, but I think that their stores are/were situated in the midwest. I've never seen them anywhere else.

Macy's - 9 stores

Who in their right mind would buy expensive crap when they can get nice stuff for less elsewhere?

That sucks.

That sucks, as I want to get my future Blackberry from Sprint someday.

I like J.C. Penney's, but I almost never shop there. Again, I don't do repairs, so I have no need for Lowe's. I almost never go to Office Depot, either.

I can't afford brand new furniture, so no sense in going there.

Their stuff are crap.

I've never heard of Sharper Image.

I'm 28, so I have long since outgrew toys.

We have a Dillard's here in San Antonio, But I have never gone there, so I do not know what kind of stuff they have.

Their crap are too expensive. I can get good enough stuff from Wal*mart. I don't need 300 count thread sheets. I do not feel the difference between a 300 count and a 100 count thread sheet, anyway. I have cheap sheets, and they suit me just fine.

Oh well.

Back