Lipreading accents??

tegumi

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I had a quick question. Can you lipread accents??

What I mean by this, is if you are lipreading someone from the US, and someone from the UK, can you tell which one is british by their accent?? Also like if you are talking to someone from Washington versus someone from Alabama?? Is it harder to lipread people with strong accents??

Teg

Well an accent is something you hear vs something you see.....
I can lipread a lot of accents.....but two that are hard are Scots (one of my friends has a Scots accent and she is IMPOSSIBLE to understand) and Indian accents.

Thats what I was wondering, whether or not people from different regions or different countries move their lips differently when speaking English, or is it just their voice??... but I am talking about people whose first language is English....... like New Zealand, Australia, UK, etc......

YES. Everybody talk English different-- it is all about how they move their mouths which makes it obvious they are not from around here.

I understand the "Southern" accent (the drawl) much better (for a strange reason) whereas my husband cannot understand unforuntately! because I had to translate for him when his family came to California from South Carolina. You can tell somebody is from Boston when they skip the "r" in their dialogue. "Ha'bo'" for harbor (I think ha'bor... but please correct me Katz?)" for example.

British accent is DIFFICULT for me to understand. Their tongue hides behind their lips so I have no inkling what they say. I never bothered to lipread in London because it was a waste of time especially in a restaurant. "Huh?" "Mumbling?" "um... sure?" The next thing I know, I got a bloody stew!

I did understand somebody last time I was in London but I think he was an (Italian?) immigrant... he had this gestuative dialogue so it helped me understanding him better when he was telling me that he didn't have the EU currency for change so was it ok if he gave me British pounds and I was like, "sure! it would be fun to have something British." He smiled and said "sure thing!"

gnarlydorkette said:
I understand the "Southern" accent (the drawl) much better (for a strange reason) whereas my husband cannot understand unforuntately! because I had to translate for him when his family came to California from South Carolina. You can tell somebody is from Boston when they skip the "r" in their dialogue. "Ha'bo'" for harbor (I think ha'bor... but please correct me Katz?)" for example.

Your husband cant understand his own family??

Yeah, in the New England states, they leave out the r's..... I use to live in Maine, and people there talk about thier "caa" (car) and their is this one place called "Bar Harbor" and it sounds like "Baa Haabaa"

Here's the link to another place we talked about lipreading:

lipread

People in different countries and in different regions speak spoken language differently. With English, people move their lips differently, often because the sound they are trying to make is different (The Harbor, "Haw-beh" example given earlier was good). Many people learning English work to say words as close as they can to "native" language, but their lip movements look as different as their words sound.
Also, as I said on the other thread, facial hair, visual body and facial expression, and objects in and around the mouth make a difference.

Lipreading

It don't matter if they are deaf or hearing, but their lipreading is different to notice like

Bus -

Midlands, North of England and Scotland, they pronounced it like "PUSH" in lipreading.

whilst in southern of England as I used to come from, pronounced it like "PASS" in mouth movement.

tegumi said:
Your husband cant understand his own family??

The family doesn't live in California where my husband lives so he doesn't see them everyday to grow accustomed to their drawl. I think he only met them like four times in his entire lifetime. I met them first time and I understood them first off the bat.

I cannot understand my own family because they are native Finnish and they pronounce "W" as if it is "V" for me, an American, so I kept misunderstood my uncle when he said "I am doing vell!" or "I am going to vork." They used their lips to pronounce words but it looks like they overemphasized some letters so it threw me off.

Well, I'm deaf and can read everyone's lips. Depend on kind of mouth movement. Problem is I understand hardly when anyone who have beard or thin mouth to speak too thin/close..

My sons speak English well but problem is I can't follow their "German" mouth movement when they speak English. My hearing friends heard their voice and saying that they speak English good. :eek:

I have no problem to understand my son's mouth movement when they speak German because I know their movement for long time before they began to learn English.

I have German co-workers who speak English well but some of them speak exact same as my sons, too. I got them to speak me in German instead of English. I have no problem with other co-workers who can speak in "US/British" mouth movement.

I have no problem to read German/English's lips with their own mouth movement, not use German movement when they speak English.

My eldest son's teacher told me that the student will start to learn how to speak to follow English movement language this September. :fingersx:

gnarlydorkette said:
I cannot understand my own family because they are native Finnish and they pronounce "W" as if it is "V" for me, an American, so I kept misunderstood my uncle when he said "I am doing vell!" or "I am going to vork." They used their lips to pronounce words but it looks like they overemphasized some letters so it threw me off.

True, Germans speak "W" as "V". Something like that I can't speak my hubby's name "Uwe" in English mouth movement so I use "V" instead of "W". I speak "Uve". That's how I learn from my step-mother's Indian sister-in-law who can speak German very well. She taught me to use "V" instead of "W". Example: "Was" (German language is "What"). I speak "was" in English movement language but Germans don't understand me so I use "Vas" in German mouth movement.

Germans will know straight way that I'm not German when I use "V" instead of "W".

Lipreading is a skill that one has to learn. In order to lipread, you would have to be prepared to understand the accent. A British lipreader could understand a British-speaking person, but not a English-speaking person. A spanish lipreader could understand a Spanish-speaking person, but not a English-speaking person. The reason for this is because of how things are said and used in the language.

For me, I can lipread pretty well. The closer to English it is, the more I'll understand it. For people speaking British, a lot of the words are in English already... so it's mostly understood. For instance, I'd understand a person saying, "bloody hell!" or "kick my arse!"

Yeah, in the New England states, they leave out the r's..... I use to live in Maine, and people there talk about thier "caa" (car) and their is this one place called "Bar Harbor" and it sounds like "Baa Haabaa"
I pahked da cah in Hahvahd Yahd!!!

VamPyroX said:
Lipreading is a skill that one has to learn. In order to lipread, you would have to be prepared to understand the accent. A British lipreader could understand a British-speaking person, but not a English-speaking person. A spanish lipreader could understand a Spanish-speaking person, but not a English-speaking person. The reason for this is because of how things are said and used in the language.

For me, I can lipread pretty well. The closer to English it is, the more I'll understand it. For people speaking British, a lot of the words are in English already... so it's mostly understood. For instance, I'd understand a person saying, "bloody hell!" or "kick my arse!"

Yeah I agree with you. I was raising to oralism and lip reading. I do understand the english language as long I can see their mouth and lip movement. I hate when they trying to slow and I would tell them that I understand clearly. My friend father is British and I have kind of hard time to see what he say. I understand the most what he says but when he says other words like Bloody hell, or bloke or kiss my arse. I was like what did you say and he will explain to me what it means. Lucky I have BBC channel on my Dish Network and I can see what language they speaking. It's help me to learn.

bluegecko474 said:
Yeah I agree with you. I was raising to oralism and lip reading. I do understand the english language as long I can see their mouth and lip movement. I hate when they trying to slow and I would tell them that I understand clearly. My friend father is British and I have kind of hard time to see what he say. I understand the most what he says but when he says other words like Bloody hell, or bloke or kiss my arse. I was like what did you say and he will explain to me what it means. Lucky I have BBC channel on my Dish Network and I can see what language they speaking. It's help me to learn.

:rofl: BBC is a boring channel!!.........

my deaf friend has an accent and everybody thinks she is hoh but really, she is profoundly deaf.

I am an excellent lipreader, and married to a hearing man. However there are some accents that stump me. I have a friend from Australia and I really have a problem with her accent. Germans appear to speak down in their throats, rather than on their lips, so of course, that is difficult too. I cannot make heads or tails of Cockney. Southern drawls are easy for me because these people usually speak slower than us Northerners do.

But it is the same in ASL. I have noticed that Eastern deafies, like from Chicago, sign alot smoother than some of us.

Lantana said:
Germans appear to speak down in their throats, rather than on their lips, so of course, that is difficult too.

Very true, that´s what my stepmom´s sister-in-law said the same.

I understand my sons´s lip movement when they speak Germans than English. It would be no problem when you heard they speak English with German accent when you are hearing.

I´m familiar with German lip movement. It´s hard for me understand when they speak English with their lip movement in German lip movement.

Back