Lip-Readers: Which words look identical/very similar?

Wow, what great examples! Thank you. Guess my hearing friends are going to be in for a shock when they realize that lip reading is surprisingly difficult. :giggle:

What about corner, coroner, and quarter? I thought those might look similar..

they do :)

This is absurd. I'm profoundly deaf. I do not hear anything. I only know how to say letters which is the reason I know the difference between P and B verbally. Just not visually.

My brother said putty, I wanted to believe he said butter but his sentence did not make sense. I had him spell it out. =]

I have people spell out words to me too if they do not fit the context in which they are being said which typically means I've mis-read their lips. it's annoying to some people but...it's the best way for me understand them.

Now when it comes to spelling a word with similar sounding c, t, d..and so on-it gets difficult.

Numbers I also have difficulty with :roll:

or when people ask "how are you" and mistake for "how old are you?"

lol kinda funny when they ask, and I reply "19" and they look at me like... WHAT??

Alot of the alphabet is tricky for me, because in my music, we have letters that helps us separate what we're going to be playing; measure by measure. the hardest ones i can't tell the difference is: C and D, E and G, C and Q, B and D and i think thats it. Because when they are saying that, it makes it hard for me to tell the difference. And usually I'll ask them to repeat it or i didn't understand them and they'll say it in a different term for me like: "We are going to start at C-- Cow and we're going to stop at G--Ginger." and if that doesn't help my friends just interprets it for me.

Other words that are hard for me:

Set-Seat
Bark-Clark
Book-Cook

mostly Sh-Ch synonyms are the hardest ones for me to hear and to be able to read out.

In the tv edit of snakes on a plane, when the phrase “I have had it with these motherf*cking snakes on this motherf*cking plane” is replaced with “I have had it with these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane” I couldn’t tell that the words had been changed by looking at Samuel L. Jackson’s mouth.

I can understand the monkey-fighting one somewhat, but Monday to Friday does not look at all like motherf*******

She was trying to be funny and said "hi, my name is shoshana, im a dinosaur".

I FLIPPED!!

I thought she said "hi, my name is shosana, Im a dirty whore"

so...dinosaur and "dirty whore" look very similar!

I know this is an old thread, but when I read that, i actually LoL!!

It depends on how many beers you have.

After ten, lipreading "Cement" looks like "Cookie" and you tryna eat it.

"Where there's life there's hope."

"Where's the olive soap?"

Last edited:
Beards and mustaches are becoming popular again, so it can be tricky. Ahh...

I am not a native English speaker but I speak Spanish and Italian, and though I am fluent in English, it is the worst language to lip read among these. I am especially in difficulties with words containing gh as I can't hear it and it could be a separation between words. Also, the shorter the word the less hints to guess the word!

The hardest words for me are: dough / cough, thought / though, dear / deer, pear / pier / pie.
Also words with unique sounds compared to how they are written such as choir are terribly confusing.

Besides being terrible at listening I am also quite bad at speaking. Watching subtitled English movies is not helping much if the pronunciation strays markedly from the written word and it took me years to correct my pronunciation of basic words such as river, item, turbine. I never got the difference in the -ed pronunciation at the end of words (when it is -ed and when it sounds more as 'd).
For me, it is extremely embarrassing to introduce myself as an English translator when I can barely understand/speak it. I usually hide this detail when I speak to a native English speaker (unless they are aware of my disability). I also can't make myself understood from Siri, which is very frustrating!

I wish I was able to find an English speech trainer. Most English teachers are not trained to teach phonetics to hearing impaired people. Maybe I should look for a speech trainer? If Melania Trumps can speak flawlessly, why can't I?

Try speech pathologists or speech therapists? hmm or voice trainers... they may be able to point you in the right direction.

You aren't alone- I've found it interesting that one friend of mine has a less severe loss than I do but has great difficulties in saying some words while I say them..near flawless? Of course there are some parts of speech I probably do slur or screw up. Pretty sure there are native speakers who screw up pronunciations too- I'm always seeing memes on that very fact lol-- "pacific" for specific as one example.

Siri I despise...Same with the new OK Google..... and I think Cortana (though with that one it does do text). I avoid anything voice activated lol.

Back