Links to websites for learning ASL

I have fallen in love with DCMP.ORG. So far I have been able to stream every video I am interested in. I could quit my job and just spend 27/9/423 on that site.

The site looks great but it says it is specifically for students up to Grade 12. Am I missing something?

Thanks for this thread!!!

The site looks great but it says it is specifically for students up to Grade 12. Am I missing something?

Thanks for this thread!!!

There are a lot of things there for adults as well.

On iTunes U, there is a series of videos titled "Vocabulary Builders" from Jacksonville State University. They show vocabulary for specific subjects, not really conversational lessons.

For those interested in other sign languages scattered throughout Europe...As well as Turkish and Japanese. They have videos for every word and everything. Here you go:

Pls do you have some links to websites for teaching in ASL at the secondary ? & I would like to get CD or DVD for teaching. That will be my project to help deaf students in college.

I really like spreadthesign.com it has options for many different types of sign language around the world

Melanie 808 State,
Aloha and thank you Kristina. I am hearing and work in the business office of a sign language company that assigns sign language Terps to whom/and where
ever they are needed. I love the expansion & insight that learning ASL is providing and evoking in me, a whole new way/world of viewing, being,and understanding the very active, productive, and contributing members of the Deaf community. Love ASL University, Bill Vickars, I'm not young,retirement age and it's takes more time to retain what I'm learning....but it gives me a joy I just can't explain....Aloha!

Last edited:
I have a resource people may find useful.

italki.com

italki is a website to find tutors for anyone learning any language but ASL counts as a language and ASL tutors are available for hire there. The site itself is free to join but you must pay the tutor whatever they charge for their time. Some charge more or less than others and you can browse and find the teacher that is right for you. Many of them are actual teachers just looking to make extra money on the side. So if anyone has ever wanted an ASL tutor but there are none in your area then this is my suggestion for you. Also I just took a minute to double check the site and they do have one BSL teacher as well so for all you British out there check it out too if you want.

Hello Everyone,
I am deaf/ HoH, I have been all my life. It has been always my dream to learn SL , since I was a little kid, alas, everyone was against it and I had no choice but to learn Lipreading, which I considered torture, and I always struggled with it. I learn the ASL because for now I am living in the US, and I will learn the BSL because I hope to get back there some day, even if I am very old.

It is a pity that it is so hard to find a place to learn it.

We generally get asked here on AD for places for people to go to learn sign language. The following are sites that I have used or have recommended.

ASLPro.com Home
Has a wide variety of signs in a dictionary format. Also has quizzes that you can play. They have a children's area and a section for Bible signs as well.

• ASL • American Sign Language
This site is put together by Dr. Bill Vickers from a California college. He has an online ASL university that is free. You can do the work online or download the workbooks. You can also order a CD of the website if you are only on dial-up. He also sells CD's for school groups. He has options for being able to get school credit.

Signing Savvy | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary
You can register for free for basic instruction. There is also an option to pay for membership which will give you more, but the free version is just great.

DCMP.org :: Home
You are able to "check out" videos, DVD's and books like a library. They will mail them to you and give you a postage paid mailer to send them back. They also have streaming online videos as well. They offer all kinds of things for ASL instruction, deaf culture and children.

Free American Sign Language Browers, British Sign Language, Auslan
This site provides links for all different sign languages from all over for baby sign language. ASL, BSL, AUSLAN, Arabic, Austrian, Croatian, Flemish, French, German, Italian, Latvian, Japan, National Aviation and Norwegian.

ASL Dictionary
This is a new site and has things for learning ASL and deaf culture.

This should be a good start.
ASL That
http://www.alldeaf.com/threads/links-to-websites-for-learning-asl.75825/

Sorry if they were previously posted.

Back