Lillys surgery date

Lillys dad

Reaction score
January 31! The Dr. is making the incision behind the left ear, like Lucias. He said this is the standard now, because it allows a faster recovery time. SHe is getting the freedom (like her other ear).
He said that the activation will be 2 weeks after surgery due to faster recovery time from incision site.
I also asked him about flying (Nucleus Celebration in San Antonio). He said there is absolutely no problem with flight restrictions. I guess two weeks is long enough?!

I will however research to find out more info.

Excellent.

2007 is going to be such an emotional year for all of you.

And worth every tear of joy!!

That is great news! It will be here before you know it. I know she is young but does Lilly understand that she is getting a second implant?

Best of luck with everything. :)

January 31! The Dr. is making the incision behind the left ear, like Lucias. He said this is the standard now, because it allows a faster recovery time. SHe is getting the freedom (like her other ear).
He said that the activation will be 2 weeks after surgery due to faster recovery time from incision site.

Great news!

Er...how did they do her other incision? I though behind the ear was standard (that is what they did for me almost two years ago).

Her other one is about 2-3 inches behind the ear. It is an S shape incision. This one will be directly behind the ear. Almos right at the point where the ear touches the skull. A small 1 1/2 -2 inch incision in a vertical line.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lilly has in the past said she wanted to hear out of her other ear. But she doesnt really understand the concept of another CI.

Lillys dad,

Congratulations on the surgery date!! :)

Both of my incisions are exactly as you describe (1 1/2-2 inch vertical incision directly behind the ear).

Her other one is about 2-3 inches behind the ear. It is an S shape incision. This one will be directly behind the ear. Almos right at the point where the ear touches the skull. A small 1 1/2 -2 inch incision in a vertical line.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lilly has in the past said she wanted to hear out of her other ear. But she doesnt really understand the concept of another CI.

I saw a little girl the other day who had the surgery 2 weeks ago. She had the smallest incision I have ever seen. I asked the mother about 3 times if that is where the incision was. I was shocked that it was so small. I have only seen incisions online that were much longer. You could barely notice the incision on this little girl. I assume that is what you are talking about. It amazes me that it was so tiny. I kept thinking that I am missing something. They didn't have to touch her hair at all. Is that how they are all done now?

They get smaller and smaller.
Lotte was operated in 2005. On her blog there are some pictures.... (You'll have to scroll down or use the index on the left)
But LuciaDisturbed showed here scar in some thread... that was small as well (2006)

I received my first CI in 2004 and the incision is no larger than 1 1/2-2 inches. The "S" incision was common in the past, but hasn't been done in a number of years. This could also differ from surgeon to surgeon, but I've read articles dating back to 2003 which indicate new and minimally invasive procedures for CI surgery. You should be able to find them by doing a Google search for "minimally invasive cochlear implant surgery."

Good Luck!

Good Luck! I bet Lilly will figure out really quickly after activation that she is hearing with the other ear. Keep the camera ready!

Good Luck! I bet Lilly will figure out really quickly after activation that she is hearing with the other ear. Keep the camera ready!

Whoo hoo, Lilly! (And maybe have a video cam ready to catch Lilly's reactions and even the sounds she's hearing with her new ear)

Yay, I am so happy for Lily.. she deserve the best of everything that she can get in life and to get by when she gets older! :thumb:

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!
We just got a call from the hospital. They moved the surgery date forward to the 17th!!!! Thats only 12 days from now!!

Congraulations and I hope the surgery goes smoothly. God Bless !!!!! :angel:

Back