Liberal Arts Major

ClearSky

Reaction score
What kind of career can you make with a Liberal Arts major?

this is a very broad field which gives you a flexibility because this way - you have a college degree. You can be just about anything. If the job requires certain specialty - no biggie.. just go to grad school.

this is a very broad field which gives you a flexibility because this way - you have a college degree. You can be just about anything. If the job requires certain specialty - no biggie.. just go to grad school.

But, do you have an example? I had a deaf VR counselor who asked, "what can you do with it?" He didn't want to support that major. I didn't know what to tell him, but I kept hearing during high school and reading that this is a good major. No specific. I told him that I hear that it's a good major to have. I just didn't know what to tell him specifically what career.

But, do you have an example? I had a deaf VR counselor who asked, "what can you do with it?" He didn't want to support that major. I didn't know what to tell him, but I kept hearing during high school and reading that this is a good major. No specific. I told him that I hear that it's a good major to have. I just didn't know what to tell him specifically what career.

that's the point. you don't know the specific career which is why people go liberal arts. It's a general degree for general range of careers. you can be a manager, assistant, teaching, technician, business, etc. etc.... cuz most careers require college degrees.

It is strange that your VR counselor does not know what you can do with liberal arts... :scratch:

that's the point. you don't know the specific career which is why people go liberal arts. It's a general degree for general range of careers. you can be a manager, assistant, teaching, technician, business, etc. etc.... cuz most careers require college degrees.

It is strange that your VR counselor does not know what you can do with liberal arts... :scratch:

Probably because an actual career that stems out of a liberal arts education, unless a specific major is chosen, requires an advanced degree. Most people attending a liberal arts college will choose to major in one of the humanities, one of the social sciences, education, etc.

Probably because an actual career that stems out of a liberal arts education, unless a specific major is chosen, requires an advanced degree. Most people attending a liberal arts college will choose to major in one of the humanities, one of the social sciences, education, etc.

there you go. if you found something you love, you can go to grad school to obtain advanced degree in it if you want (or if it requires it). There are TONS of people, including my friends, with specific degrees not doing careers relating to their degrees.

There are drawbacks for both side - the specific major and liberal arts major. For ie - with specific major... your general knowledge is not as extensive as liberal arts major... you will be somewhat limited in your career choice if you decide to do something else... but this is not always the case. it's highly variable for each person. and the drawback for liberal arts major is that it's not a specialized field so that limits your career choice with high salary.

Point is - as long as you have a college degree in anything.... and as long as you're a quick studious learner... you'll be fine in ANY field (including those that requires advanced degree).

You can actually have a Computer Science degree and then later become a psychologist in grad school. Difficult yes but not impossible.

I thought it was good for those who are still undecided, but they can still at least earn a degree that could help them while they find their true calling.

Yes, my VR counselor said this. Maybe he was still new as a VR counselor, and he wasn't experienced to give out advice. VR counselors drive me nuts! I know I am not alone in this with VR counselors.

I thought it was good for those who are still undecided, but they can still at least earn a degree that could help them while they find their true calling.

Yes, my VR counselor said this. Maybe he was still new as a VR counselor, and he wasn't experienced to give out advice. VR counselors drive me nuts! I know I am not alone in this with VR counselors.

that's right. getting a college degree is the matter of salary difference with those with high school diploma. IMO - your VR counselor is an idiot.

there you go. if you found something you love, you can go to grad school to obtain advanced degree in it if you want (or if it requires it). There are TONS of people, including my friends, with specific degrees not doing careers relating to their degrees.

There are drawbacks for both side - the specific major and liberal arts major. For ie - with specific major... your general knowledge is not as extensive as liberal arts major... you will be somewhat limited in your career choice if you decide to do something else... but this is not always the case. it's highly variable for each person. and the drawback for liberal arts major is that it's not a specialized field so that limits your career choice with high salary.

Point is - as long as you have a college degree in anything.... and as long as you're a quick studious learner... you'll be fine in ANY field (including those that requires advanced degree).

You can actually have a Computer Science degree and then later become a psychologist in grad school. Difficult yes but not impossible.

True. You can attend grad school in a different major, but the chances of being accepted into a grad program is very slight if you don't have the foundation courses needed to begin advanced study in a specialized field. You would no doubt have to go back and pick up the foundation courses prior to being accepted to grad school. Which means additional time and tuition at the undergrad level.

I understand VR's position completely. VR's primary goal is to prepare people with disabilities to enter the workforce and become productive and independent. They are not going to pay for 4 years of college for someone to get a degree that is not going to accomplish that goal. They want to see that you have a goal, and a plan for your future. They want to see that you have set a realistic goal for yourself to become employed, and that you understand what achieving that goal entails, and that you are willing to do what you must do to achieve that goal. VR serves a specific purpose. Funds are limited, and there are more people to serve than there are funds available, quite often. If they have 2 clients, one of whom comes in and says, "I want to prepare myself to work in the IT field, this is the education that will prepare me to do so, this is the school that has an excellent program in computer studies, and this is how much my tuition will be" and a client that comes in and says "I don't know what I want to do but I want you to pay my college tuition while I figure it out" it will be the first client who receives college tuition assistance, and the second will be referred for career exploration. If VR allots college tuition assistance, they want to know that the chances are high that once they have allotted that money, the person receiving it will achieve success. The last thing they want is to shell out $150,ooo in college tuition only to have the person return in 4 years still needing more assistance because they are not qualified to be employed.

that's right. getting a college degree is the matter of salary difference with those with high school diploma. IMO - your VR counselor is an idiot.

Its a matter of difference in salary as long as that college degree realistically assists the person in becoming employable. The VR counselor is not an idiot. In fact, they are being very realistic. They are not going to pay for a college education unless there is a high probability that the degree will lead that person to independence and employability. VR's goals are very specific, and they make decisions that will achieve those goals. There is a very good reason that VR asks clients what career they can enter with the major they are proposing. They want to know that the client is setting realistic goals and knows what it takes to get from point A to point B. If the client demonstrates that they have done their homework, knows what they want to do, and are willing to do what is necessary to get there, they will provide the assistance necessary. If a client is floundering, doesn't know what they want to do, has not set realistic goals, has not done their homework regarding a career, the education required, and the preparation necessary, they will not shell out the money for tuition. They will refer the client for career exploration, so the client can make the decisions they need to make regarding career and education before entering college.

I know someone who majored in Liberal Arts, then figured out a specific major after that. She took a bit longer to graduate. She didn't have her major all figured out, yet.

The problem with my counselor is that he didn't help me with the goal that I was seeking either. I felt he was inexperienced to help me figure out the goals. He just said, "what can you do with it?," and that's it. Didn't give me any pointers.

I think it depends on the counselor you have.

True. You can attend grad school in a different major, but the chances of being accepted into a grad program is very slight if you don't have the foundation courses needed to begin advanced study in a specialized field. You would no doubt have to go back and pick up the foundation courses prior to being accepted to grad school. Which means additional time and tuition at the undergrad level.

I understand VR's position completely. VR's primary goal is to prepare people with disabilities to enter the workforce and become productive and independent. They are not going to pay for 4 years of college for someone to get a degree that is not going to accomplish that goal. They want to see that you have a goal, and a plan for your future. They want to see that you have set a realistic goal for yourself to become employed, and that you understand what achieving that goal entails, and that you are willing to do what you must do to achieve that goal. VR serves a specific purpose. Funds are limited, and there are more people to serve than there are funds available, quite often. If they have 2 clients, one of whom comes in and says, "I want to prepare myself to work in the IT field, this is the education that will prepare me to do so, this is the school that has an excellent program in computer studies, and this is how much my tuition will be" and a client that comes in and says "I don't know what I want to do but I want you to pay my college tuition while I figure it out" it will be the first client who receives college tuition assistance, and the second will be referred for career exploration. If VR allots college tuition assistance, they want to know that the chances are high that once they have allotted that money, the person receiving it will achieve success. The last thing they want is to shell out $150,ooo in college tuition only to have the person return in 4 years still needing more assistance because they are not qualified to be employed.

Its a matter of difference in salary as long as that college degree realistically assists the person in becoming employable. The VR counselor is not an idiot. In fact, they are being very realistic. They are not going to pay for a college education unless there is a high probability that the degree will lead that person to independence and employability. VR's goals are very specific, and they make decisions that will achieve those goals. There is a very good reason that VR asks clients what career they can enter with the major they are proposing. They want to know that the client is setting realistic goals and knows what it takes to get from point A to point B. If the client demonstrates that they have done their homework, knows what they want to do, and are willing to do what is necessary to get there, they will provide the assistance necessary. If a client is floundering, doesn't know what they want to do, has not set realistic goals, has not done their homework regarding a career, the education required, and the preparation necessary, they will not shell out the money for tuition. They will refer the client for career exploration, so the client can make the decisions they need to make regarding career and education before entering college.

:hmm: excellent points you have there. They usually prefer you to go to state college unless.... you demonstrated a very promising choice - which means they MAY be willing to pay for your expensive tuition. State school tuition is usually about $12,000+ a year (for in-state full-time commuter student). But that can be reduced if qualified for Federal grants and some scholarships. Anyway - cost is not largely an issue in here as long as you demonstrate a solid goal and progress that VR counselor feels comfortable with... not wishy-washy decision.

ClearSky - do you have any slightest idea of what you'd like to be? You do not have to be specific. For ie - I want to be in IT field.... or teaching.

:hmm: excellent points you have there. They usually prefer you to go to state college unless.... you demonstrated a very promising choice - which means they MAY be willing to pay for your expensive tuition. State school tuition is usually about $12,000+ a year (for in-state full-time commuter student). But that can be reduced if qualified for Federal grants and some scholarships. Anyway - cost is not largely an issue in here as long as you demonstrate a solid goal and progress that VR counselor feels comfortable with... not wishy-washy decision.
ClearSky - do you have any slightest idea of what you'd like to be? You do not have to be specific. For ie - I want to be in IT field.... or teaching.

Exactly.

I understand VR's position completely. VR's primary goal is to prepare people with disabilities to enter the workforce and become productive and independent.

I know someone who majored in Liberal Arts, then figured out a specific major after that. She took a bit longer to graduate. She didn't have her major all figured out, yet.

The problem with my counselor is that he didn't help me with the goal that I was seeking either. I felt he was inexperienced to help me figure out the goals. He just said, "what can you do with it?," and that's it. Didn't give me any pointers.

I think it depends on the counselor you have.

which is why I said that I thought her VR was an idiot... for not being helpful. It's as if he hates his job. Doesn't he know that if a person is successfully employed.. that person will be able to contribute to the state by paying tax? :roll:

ClearSky - You should request for different VR counselor. I was extremely pleased with my VR. I made appointment to see him because I was having trouble finding a job. One day - I got a reply from this work wanting to interview me and then I got hired right on the spot... but I kept the VR appointment just to see what's it got to offer for me. I explained to him that I got hired and he was very elated to hear it because he told me a story about this bad economy. A couple months ago - his workplace had tons of people lined up around the block, looking for jobs and he said that I was very lucky to get hired with a salary & full benefits. Anyway he asked me some questions about my education history and work experience to get some background on me.

He told me that VR would have paid for my tuition 100% if I came to him earlier but oh well. Even though I already have a job - he told me that he will keep the file open for a little while longer to do a follow-up on me to make sure that my job is sufficiently providing me with accommodation.

which is why I said that I thought her VR was an idiot... for not being helpful. It's as if he hates his job. Doesn't he know that if a person is successfully employed.. that person will be able to contribute to the state by paying tax? :roll:

ClearSky - You should request for different VR counselor. I was extremely pleased with my VR. I made appointment to see him because I was having trouble finding a job. One day - I got a reply from this work wanting to interview me and then I got hired right on the spot... but I kept the VR appointment just to see what's it got to offer for me. I explained to him that I got hired and he was very elated to hear it because he told me a story about this bad economy. A couple months ago - his workplace had tons of people lined up around the block, looking for jobs and he said that I was very lucky to get hired with a salary & full benefits. Anyway he asked me some questions about my education history and work experience to get some background on me.

He told me that VR would have paid for my tuition 100% if I came to him earlier but oh well. Even though I already have a job - he told me that he will keep the file open for a little while longer to do a follow-up on me to make sure that my job is sufficiently providing me with accommodation.

I guess we are just looking at it from 2 different perspectives. Part of being independent is doing a little investigation and exploration to decide on the path you think you would like to follow and then asking for assistance to achieve that. So asking that a client complete the preliminary steps to setting a goal and trying to achieve it is promoting independence.

I guess we are just looking at it from 2 different perspectives. Part of being independent is doing a little investigation and exploration to decide on the path you think you would like to follow and then asking for assistance to achieve that. So asking that a client complete the preliminary steps to setting a goal and trying to achieve it is promoting independence.

si.. si.. I mean - not all have good start at the beginning (earlier childhood life). You have seen a terrible flaw in our education system especially for disabled children. Many of them lack basic foundation in some areas and/or many students are simply just not aware of what's out there such as financial aids.

IMO - A counselor... who is equipped with knowledge should advise, guide, and discuss... to help each individual to reach his/her goal. Ultimately - it's a win-win because when the individual reaches his/her goal - he/she will be able to pay tax back to state which pays for VR program and VR counselor's salary. Now that is a step toward to independence as well... being able to earn money and to pay tax.

si.. si.. I mean - not all have good start at the beginning (earlier childhood life). You have seen a terrible flaw in our education system especially for disabled children. Many of them lack basic foundation in some areas and/or many students are simply just not aware of what's out there such as financial aids.

IMO - A counselor... who is equipped with knowledge should advise, guide, and discuss... to help each individual to reach his/her goal. Ultimately - it's a win-win because when the individual reaches his/her goal - he/she will be able to pay tax back to state which pays for VR program and VR counselor's salary. Now that is a step toward to independence as well... being able to earn money and to pay tax.

Agreed. I'm wondering if the VR counselor advised the OP to do some career exploration? If not, I have several websites that would assist in that process.

Agreed. I'm wondering if the VR counselor advised the OP to do some career exploration? If not, I have several websites that would assist in that process.

please do post links here.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (U.S. Dept. of Labor) provides an online resource for career exploration. The Occupational Outlook Handbook can be accessed at Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2008-09 Edition

O*Net is one of the more popular sites. It can be accessed at online.onetcenter.org/

These are both federal sites. Most states have sites particular to their employment needs. Just access your state dept. of labor. Links will be provided.

VR should have several assessment tools at their disposal, including interest inventories, work values inventories, aptitude inventories, vocational preference inventories, and work attitude inventories that help an individual with career exploration. Tell your VR counselor that you wish to take any career exploration inventory they offer.

Back