Let me tell you a story!

sunflowergal

Reaction score

I grew up in a quiet country. I grew up without friends in my quiet country. I never go to skating, swimming, deaf club, deaf chuch or other places and I never go out of town to visited my friends when I was growing up. I was raised by my both parents. My Mother is not friendly, strict and control of my life. I was 10 years old when my oldest brother and older sister moved away. They both hearing. I grew up without brother and sister. :(

I rode the school bus to school for 20 miles. I had good deaf friends at school when I was teenage. I never spent the night with one of my friends house from school because my Mother won't let me. My Mother had to telling me that one of my friend's parents are bad people and their house was filth and nasty. :roll: My thought "How do they know but they never see their house"! I never enter one of my friend's house.

:( I never invited my friends over my house for my birthday party when I was in my childhood through teenage. Because I was born on December 24th. My Mother said that was reason, the kids supposed to spent time with their family on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

I got my first driver license when I was 17 years old. I wanted to visited with my friends in out of town but my Mother won't let me. She was afraid if I got in trouble or getting raped or kidnapped or killed. She said that all people are very bad in the world. I didn't say anything.

I became adult. I was 21 years old when my father died. My Mother and I got in arguement for many years. :mad2: I've tried reason with her about something, I wanted and I had to do something with my life. I had to fight for my freedom. She won't let me go out of town on my own. She don't want me to date anyone and she don't want me to get married. She kept control of my life. I was her keeper for 27 years of my life.

I received the letter from my best friend. She invited me over to her church for the party. I begged my Mother to let me go to church for party. She called my sister to picked me up and took me to church. My Mother told my sister to watch me. I did met a hoh man at church. After the party was over, my sister took me home. I was thinking about a hoh man that I met. I wrote a letter to my best friend. I suggested her to find his home address and she got it from church. She gave me his home address. I wrote a letter to hoh man first time. He called me on tty first time. I was shocked that he called me. I asked him "How did he got my phone number"! He called my best friend on tty and she gave him my phone number. He and I talked alot on tty and we wrote the letters almost every day.

We kept secert to date each other in few months without my Mother's known. He asked me to marry him then I said "Yes". I ran off to getting eloped to him without family knowing about it. We got married in Court on 1993. :)

We returned to my Mom's house. My Mom got called from the police. She found out about it. She was very upset and shocked. She knew there was nothing she do about it. Finally, She let me go. I took my stuffs with me and I moved to live with my husband. We live far away from her. Finally, I got my freedom without my crazy Mother.

Now, I felt very hurt, sad and lost because I don't have many friends in my area. I live in a small town. I wish have friends to go shopping with me. I have few friends live out of town. I fear to losing my husband or my daughter. If something has happen to one of them. I don't want to be all alone in the world. I'm scared to death.

That's what your mother felt like, hmm. wasn't it?

Sounds like to me, you're scared to lose someone you love so much, so did your mother.

Perhaps, it's time for you to tell your mom this. Maybe. I said maybe, because it's possible that it could end happily or not.

That's what your mother felt like, hmm. wasn't it?

Sounds like to me, you're scared to lose someone you love so much, so did your mother.

Perhaps, it's time for you to tell your mom this. Maybe. I said maybe, because it's possible that it could end happily or not.

That's too late to tell her for that. She is very sick woman. She has demencia. She gets really confused. I know that she loves me. She had no reason to keep me with her for all these years.

wow Arkie. very brave of you to share your story with us. what can I say..... well you have your daughter and your husband. You can make more friends thru them! Daughter's friends' moms... your husband's friends' wives.... and their friends as well.

Thank you! Jiro That's not easy to make friends with them.

oh... why not? I mean - it's not expected that you can make friends with all of them. what about PTA meeting? or your daughter's activity? that's how my mom made friends with some people. How old is your daughter?

Here is a big :hug: for you, Arkiegal. Unfortunately, your mother tried to protect you, but she prevented you from learning how to form close friendships on your own. That is something that teenagers learn as the begin to separate, bit by bit, from their families. Now you are trying to learn how to do what your mother did not let you learn back then.

I'm sorry that this is causing you unhappiness now in your life. But keep reaching out. Friendship will come.

I would only caution you that another thing that teenagers learn in the process is how to be careful and to be selective with the amount of trust they put in a friend. So, keep reaching out, but don't let your desire for friends make you too trusting.

oh... why not? I mean - it's not expected that you can make friends with all of them. what about PTA meeting? or your daughter's activity? that's how my mom made friends with some people. How old is your daughter?

I never go to PTA meeting because they are hearing. They have nothing to do with me. My daughter's friend's Moms alway go work or get busy all the time. They seem ignored me. On 2005, my daughter's tutor lady and I spent time, went shopping and went out together. 6 years ago, tutor lady and her husband moved away. :( She and I keep send e-mail each other sometime. My daughter is 13 years old.

I never go to PTA meeting because they are hearing. They have nothing to do with me. My daughter's friend's Moms alway go work or get busy all the time. They seem ignored me. On 2005, my daughter's tutor lady and I spent time, went shopping and went out together. 6 years ago, tutor lady and her husband moved away. :( She and I keep send e-mail each other sometime. My daughter is 13 years old.

what is the extent of your hearing damage? Can you talk well?

Here is a big :hug: for you, Arkiegal. Unfortunately, your mother tried to protect you, but she prevented you from learning how to form close friendships on your own. That is something that teenagers learn as the begin to separate, bit by bit, from their families. Now you are trying to learn how to do what your mother did not let you learn back then.

I'm sorry that this is causing you unhappiness now in your life. But keep reaching out. Friendship will come.

I would only caution you that another thing that teenagers learn in the process is how to be careful and to be selective with the amount of trust they put in a friend. So, keep reaching out, but don't let your desire for friends make you too trusting.

I know that my Mother wanted to protect me but I felt like lost my childhood life without fun. I heard and seen deaf people went wild, enjoy life, party, and go out for fun. I am very disappointed. :(

what is the extent of your hearing damage? Can you talk well?

Yes, I can talk. I can lipreading little but I can't hear what they say. I am full deaf. My Mother had German Mealses when I was born. My daughter understand me what I said. I tried to talk to hearing people but they get confused and they don't understand me. I guess, my voice sound funny.

I know that my Mother wanted to protect me but I felt like lost my childhood life without fun. I heard and seen deaf people went wild, enjoy life, party, and go out for fun. I am very disappointed. :(

Yes, I understand that you are disappointed. And you have every right to feel that way. Just don't let your disappointment make you bitter. You seem to be a strong woman. You missed out on some of the fun of childhood and teenaged years, but you can make sure that you don't deny it to yourself any longer. Your mother denied it to you, but she is no longer responsible for your life.

You are making a first step by sharing your story here. Good for you.

[Mod's Edit - Previous quote removed thus trolling]

ArkieGal, the advice everyone has given you is good. You were brave to step outside of your mother's clutches and make a life of your own. Try finding different ways to meet other people and make new friends. It will come.

Last edited by a moderator:
ArkieGal, the advice everyone has given you is good. You were brave to step outside of your mother's clutches and make a life of your own. Try finding different ways to meet other people and make new friends. It will come.

[Mod's Edit - Comment removed in response to the previous quote which was removed.]

AlleyCat, I agree with you. What is OP means?

AlleyCat, I agree with you. What is OP means?

OP is "original poster" which is you. You are the original poster of this thread. [Mod's Edit - comment removed; unnecessary.] Thank you, ArkieGal, for taking the time to tell us about your life story.

I found out the truth about my Mother. My cousin told me that my Mother is crazy mind and mental problem but I didn't know. I see that way my father, brother and sister never told me about my Mother's problems. I wonder why they kept secert from me. I never get answers from them. I noticed something weird about my father, brother and sister. I guess, They are afraid of my Mother.

My cousin e-mailed to me in few years ago. My Mother fell very ill. My cousin suggested my brother to called 911 but he won't do it because he was afraid if my Mother got mad at him. My cousin had do it.

And my sister told my cousin about my Mother had been lying to my sister all her life. She abused my sister but I never seen her abused my sister. I don't know. Probably, She had my sister in the bedroom and abused her, that's why I can't see them doing in the bedroom.

My Mother's face looks mean and angry. I didn't like her looks because she scared me.

oh one more thing - where was your father when you were growing up?

oh one more thing - where was your father when you were growing up?

He was there when my Mother was too bossy around me. He wasn't doing nothing to help me. He kept quiet, sat there and watch t.v. He never mean to me. He was nice, friendly, and wonderful father.

I lived with my father and my mother. They had been married for many years. My father got killed by explosion at Oil Company in Texas on April 22, 1986. I lost my father when I was 21 years old.

I think your mother was abusive to you by depriving from the socialization that is so valuable to a child's development. Take care of yourself and try to do something ever day that forces you to interact with new people. You will meet some friends. It may feel really bad now, but it will be better soon. Would you consider seeing a therapist? I think it would really help you.

Back