Learning from Deaf or ASL class does it matter?

zoe1972

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently learning to sign from a person I met at a restaurant. He saw me struggling with my sign ,(with a client that I work with)up until I met him I was learning from the internet and books. I would think the books and internet would be the bad way to go. In the 7 short months we have worked together, I have become much better and way more confident with using sign.

Not to long ago I invited him to an event where I couldn't sign enough to translate everything going on, so I hired an interpreter. First they wanted to know if they were using signed english, or ASL. My friend can use both, which they said was not possible. Why? wouldn't it be possible, if they have a foot in the hearing world and a foot in the Deaf world wouldn't that make sense?
But, as the day progressed the interpreter took me aside and stated that I should not be learning from a Deaf person, because I would be learning the wrong sign. I need to enroll in class so I could be a better friend, and learn true ASL. She also told me not to be comfortable with my friends voice, it's rude. Why? Shouldn't we be comfortable with each other in order to be better friends? I particularly like his voice and actually need it when I am at a deaf event and am I nervous,relaxes me to know he is there, even if he is on the other side of the room.
I know that I am learning more signed english, but does it really matter if he teaches me or I pay for a class? Am I not learning the same vocabulary, just different grammar? I don't want to sound dumb, but am I crossing some voice line I don't know about? Is there a hearing and deaf etiquette that we should be practicing? I love my time with my friend, he is wonderful, he is amazing with my son and I can't wait until we see each other to learn and spend time just hanging out. So, am I doing it wrong am i supposed to learn from a class or keep on with him ?

If you're learning ASL for someone, it should not matter. If guy is happy that you want to learn ASL, that is what counts. No matter where you go.

Do you know that many deaf dogs monkeys learn ASL signs from hearing people? I'm sure same applies to deaf ferrets and deaf cats.

i found it better go to a deaf club the sign much better, at class you plot along doing it pc.i went to bsl class at rehabilitation got far as level 2 which at that point you chatting away as normal but i f gone to class it be stillted but i advice do both..i find it odd your tutor say that becuse i was encourage go deaf groups.having drink playing games good gossip.proberly to exam reason she want you go class aswel..bit pointless learning if not going to use with deaf people...plus guy be hurt you tell him that.deaf people think differntly so you get better idea of complexity if with deaf person

Very interesting fact about the animals. I know my friend's dog understands sign. It would make sense that other animals would . Thanks for the reply

In my opinion, the best situation is to take formal ASL classes for the structure and complete coverage of all topics, and get real life practice with deaf friends and acquaintances. Use videos and books to supplement your learning. In other words, the more resources you tap in to, the better. Don't limit yourself.

There are things you can learn from your deaf friends that you can't learn in class, and vice versa.

...Not to long ago I invited him to an event where I couldn't sign enough to translate everything going on, so I hired an interpreter. First they wanted to know if they were using signed english, or ASL. My friend can use both, which they said was not possible. Why? wouldn't it be possible, if they have a foot in the hearing world and a foot in the Deaf world wouldn't that make sense?
My first question is, why was the interpreter asking you about your friend's language preference? They should ask the deaf person that question.

But, as the day progressed the interpreter took me aside and stated that I should not be learning from a Deaf person, because I would be learning the wrong sign. I need to enroll in class so I could be a better friend, and learn true ASL. She also told me not to be comfortable with my friends voice, it's rude. Why? Shouldn't we be comfortable with each other in order to be better friends? I particularly like his voice and actually need it when I am at a deaf event and am I nervous,relaxes me to know he is there, even if he is on the other side of the room.
Whoa! That is NOT the terp's place; not appropriate.

I know that I am learning more signed english, but does it really matter if he teaches me or I pay for a class? Am I not learning the same vocabulary, just different grammar? I don't want to sound dumb, but am I crossing some voice line I don't know about? Is there a hearing and deaf etiquette that we should be practicing? I love my time with my friend, he is wonderful, he is amazing with my son and I can't wait until we see each other to learn and spend time just hanging out. So, am I doing it wrong am i supposed to learn from a class or keep on with him ?
If you take a class, you will get many of your questions answered.

Granny t- thanks for the information. As you can tell I am new to Deaf culture and community. So I am looking for all the answers. I would like to take a class,but then the only classes available so far would be for interpreting, and they are far and few inbetween. I will dig around some more. I thought maybe the interpreter was a bit forward with their assumptions.

Anywho, thanks :)

Sorry ,they asked me about his language because I hired them directly and handled all the arrangements. I thought it was the right thing to do since I invited him. In the past we have one for me.

Wrong?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

If a 'terp did that to me (or my hearing friends/family) not only would I be ticked, I'd be reporting them for violations.

It's always best for the client to specifically dictate the type of communication they require (ASL,CASE,SEE,CS). If a hearing person is booking the terp, they need to confirm with the future client (Deaf person) in advance if they require ASL,CASE,SEE etc. If more info is needed the Deaf person should be given the agency number so they can manage the arrangements directly.

If the interpreter was hired for your friend, then they really shouldn't be chatting with you - they are their to work specifically for their client, not to socialize.

Again, if any of what you mentioned happened with a Terp of mine ... People would be in hot water.

Sorry ,they asked me about his language because I hired them directly and handled all the arrangements. I thought it was the right thing to do since I invited him. In the past we have one for me.

Wrong?
If the consumer (your friend) specifically told you his/her language preference for that interpreting assignment, then you (the paying client) could pass that on when making the interpreter request. However, if you were stating your own assessment of the preferred language, then that's wrong.

Thanks! So I will use who ever he suggest in the future and not someone from a Google search. I hate to always ask him a million questions. It must be annoying and would hate for his patience to end with me.

Again thanks for all the advice. :)

Back