Learning basic asl then getting master

Romo

Reaction score
Hi all, i feel to old to admit this but im 30 years old and havent had learned asl even when i was given the chance when i was a kid. But now i realise my mistake and i want to learn it. Also i would like to master it and help others where i live. Since i never identified myself as a deaf person (i have sever to lost hearing so i have been relying on hearing aids for now) its hard for me to find a deaf community where i live in long island. Im not sure what school can provide such services if anyone with good heart could provide some info where i can start off. Im currently living in long island suffolk side, any info would be very appreciate.

It's never too late to learn if you're motivated. :)

Thats right there. I needed the motivation. Really looking tl learn it

Well, if it helps, I'm 53 and never learned sign. I did teach myself the alphabet but not having any deaf friends ... well...use it or lose it. I don't get practice. I really would like to learn sign and use it. But there are not any resources in palm springs. I try to get to know people who sign, but it's not that friendly here sometimes lol. You do not walk up to someone and say hi, would you be my friend and teach me sign lol...

I never had the opportunity to learn growing up and I'm trying to learn now, at 38. I'm in the same boat - been relying on hearing aids the last 5-6 years with not very good success. My wife is also hard of hearing and we've been trying to learn together. It's a slow road! Not many resources here either.

Hey all! My newborn daughter is deaf/hoh and we also come from an area with few local resources. Despite her doc pushing an all verbal approach, I’m wanting to learn ASL. So far, I’ve found the best success with apps geared toward ASL learning downloaded from the App Store onto my phone. Just type ASL into the search.

I am a student learning ASL, I'm also a little older than I'd like to be coming into this at 37. Nothing is too late! It's right on time. I found that lifeprints.com has been a saving grace for me in my studies. I haven't found much practice time, or a community near by. I have someone I work with who is fluent, but we work with kids, and she has kids so we rarely have time to get together even though she has offered. I would love to find people to practice with and to learn from. I'm a little nervous and don't want to 'say the wrong things' and embarrass myself or offend anyone.

Back