Lawyer settles interpreter case

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
April 9, 2004) — A local lawyer has admitted violating the Americans with Disabilities Act by failing to provide a sign language interpreter to a deaf client.
In a settlement reached prior to a civil lawsuit, Gregg Tirone, 42, of Penfield agreed to pay Kathleen Culhane Rozanski $2,200 and place a notice in legal publications saying that he is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The U.S. Department of Justice received a complaint from Rozanski two years ago after she sought Tirone’s services for a divorce. Other issues, including domestic violence, child custody, visitation and a restraining order were also to be discussed.

A court-appointed interpreter was used when Rozanski was in court, but in private meetings with Tirone, communication was done by writing down notes or asking a family member to help.

”Ms. Rozanski alleges that due to the absence of a qualified sign language interpreter, she did not understand all that was conveyed,” according to the settlement. Tirone said he represented her adequately and professionally and he believes she always understood him.

Rozanski wrote letters to the Justice Department and the Monroe County Bar Association complaining about Tirone’s lack of willingness to hire an interpreter.

”The Bar Association was not sympathetic to anything Kathleen made them know about,” said her father, Jim Rozanski, of North Carolina. “There was a total lack of communications and arrogance.”

Rozanski, 34, of Pittsford sometimes had her sister, who also has a hearing loss but uses another form of sign language, to help interpret.

”She was just so frustrated,” her father said. “It built a wedge between them. They were both crying and everything else.”

Tirone did not return phone calls about the settlement. Rozanski said she has not received his payment, even though the settlement was reached in January.

As stated in the settlement, lawyers are considered a public accommodation and must provide sign language interpreters when necessary to provide effective communication in legal matters and finances that would be sufficiently lengthy or complex.

The settlement also noted that signing and interpreting is not the same thing. Family members and friends are usually not qualified interpreters and should not be used in such cases.

”Use of a family member as a sign language interpreter in a matter involving domestic violence was inappropriate,” the settlement said.

Spencer Phillips, a lawyer with the Public Interest Law Office of Rochester, is familiar with the case and agreed with the finding against Tirone.

”Federal regulations provide that a qualified interpreter is warranted any time important, complex, or lengthy communications take place between a lawyer and a deaf client,” Phillips said. “If the deaf client is making a quick stop by the lawyer’s office to drop off a paper, no interpreter is required. However, in most other situations, an interpreter should be provided.” And the lawyer is responsible for paying for the interpreter, he said.

So how does a lawyer know when to schedule an interpreter?

”If a matter is important enough to require a meeting with a client, it is also important enough to require an interpreter,” Phillips said.

I have a friend who signed up to study abroad in China for her major, and the University that she's going to be studying in China speaks English, so she went to the Accomdative Services to request for an interpreter and they declined her request saying that ADA is not extended out of the U.S. Isn't that unfair because since the study abroad program is part of the University and that they SHOULD be providing an interpreter? Any advices? I mentioned this on the other thread but I didn't get any reply.

sweetgal154 said:
I have a friend who signed up to study abroad in China for her major, and the University that she's going to be studying in China speaks English, so she went to the Accomdative Services to request for an interpreter and they declined her request saying that ADA is not extended out of the U.S. Isn't that unfair because since the study abroad program is part of the University and that they SHOULD be providing an interpreter? Any advices? I mentioned this on the other thread but I didn't get any reply.

As for a hearing person request forigen interpreter. I doubt, there is ADA for this disability law ?? I have been the sign various languages to provider an interpreter at the hospital. Good question about University does not provide an interpreter even although she is a hearing person?

hearing person is not disability ?? I can suppose if the hospital rejects a patient's request Russian interpreter. She or He can file a lawsuit... According to not disability person can't sue for broke the ADA law ???

You have a good question which I never thought of this.

Damn.. i wish i never pay my lawyer the fees and etc.. he didn't hire an interpreter for me seesh.. i pay him off all the bills dammit!

I have been requesting dozen lawyers and all turned me down for interpreter then i gave up.. use a lawyer that my grandma's is good friend with..

Sabrina said:
Then, they are breaking the session 504 law as violence.
they are and they refuse to help her get an interpreter for china trip and we dnot know who to go to for help. we've tried to contact some references but they don't seem to help us.

Wow, I 'm sorry to hear about the ' interpreter ' problems....

I don't seem to have any problems getting an interpreter for my divorce process since my lawyer was aware that I need one and he's been letting the interpreter know every court dates and private meetings...

How are the clients who is unable to hear know what is going on during private meeting and during court hearing....I find that unfair!... :nono:

Why why why most of the hospitals still ignore to request an interpreter in sign language to communication for the Deaf, Deaf-blind and Hard of Hearing patients.

It made me very angry because I went to the hospital to visit with my client. He was very frustrated because of no interpreter for two days. I really hate to say this but... he can't speak up for his right to get an interpreter. I had to spoken with that floor nurse supervisor, I explained him about ADA session 504 law. They broke the law voilence several times !! It was not first time.

I had to written a letter to the agency to explain them about the client had been communication barrier due to no interpreter.

I saw the big sign, saying.... need an interpreter to make the request forigen interpreters. I do not see anything ASL on that list. It makes me piss off !!

Sabrina said:
Then, they are breaking the session 504 law as violence.

ummm....you made the wrong spelling. violence is like fighting beating someone else. Violations means that law or rules had been broken. so it is spelled "violations" you can check that in www.dictionary.com and compare 2 words. Just letting you know.

RedWolf said:
ummm....you made the wrong spelling. violence is like fighting beating someone else. Violations means that law or rules had been broken. so it is spelled "violations" you can check that in www.dictionary.com and compare 2 words. Just letting you know.

Thanks ! ;) I typed very fast. I was very angry with that hospital for not obey 504 law session for my client. Hospital broke the violation ADA law.

Back