Lawsuit Against Purina Beneful Dog Food For Death Of Dogs

Cappy, no I meant variety as in- all kinds. "One food for life" is a myth designed to promote brand loyalty at the least and possibly has more...concerning intent < no I don't trust Big Dog Food - "Big" as in same idea of "Big Pharma"> I would not get any dog food from Blaine's F&F or any big box store but as you said you have no holistic shop...adding in fresh food would be a good idea. Even when I fed kibble 14 or more years ago <since than have not fed any> I rotated through 3 or 4 brands of kibble such as the Nature's Variety you mention, Innova <there was no "grain-free" back then>, Wellness.... and added in other things. When looking at kibble or canned dog food, look for a named meat and/or a meat meal to be the first and second ingredients, or at least in the top 3. If you see <making up typical ingredient list>:"turkey, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice bran, canola oil, egg product..." - that's mostly potatoes and rice - mostly carbs, very little meat. Avoid it. Also, less sugary carbs such lentils or legumes are less negative for a pet carnivore than sugary, starchy items like potatoes. <and realize "egg product" is NOT the same as for-human-consumption-eggs you'd find the grocery store>. Avoid anything with corn, wheat or soy for variety or reasons. Like WDYS! suggested, avoid artificial colors, flavors and preservatives, all of which are potentially carcinogenic. If something is pink or turquoise or yellow - that's usually fake, not from a natural food dye. Don't look at pretty picture of bits of steak, carrots etc falling into or sitting next to the dog's dish. That's marketing hype and inaccurate to what -really- goes into "dog food". Read the ingredients label. as for your little Chi - you could try a few different things, in tiny increments, watching to see if there's a change in relation the new item. Try one new thing at a time. I would try the cottage cheese - or some other animal-based protein - regardless of stool - but again, tiny amounts. And realize that some dogs don't do well with dairy. I'd add in probiotics and enzymes with a new food item also if the dog is not used to eating fresh food or trying new foods - which actually is what the dog is designed to do. For crumbly stool specifically you could try: canned pumpkin <NOT pumpkin pie filling; can work for constipation or looseness....or small amount of fish oil < a supplement I suggest regardless because processed dog food is too high in omega-6 fatty acids, which promote inflammation and disease>....or again for the stool you could try the probiotics and enzymes. Any combination or single of the just-mentioned *may* help - but it may not a quick thing, especially if this has been happening for some time. Remember to just try one thing at a time, maybe for a week to 10 days - unless consistent and adverse effects - like, you now have runny or liquid poo that isn't resolving after a couple of days.

http://www.delish.com/food-news/a49230/canned-pumpkin-is-lie/ Libby canned pumpkin is a squash and has very little pumpkin in it. This made me wonder about the other brands of canned pumpkin . Does squash help dogs the same as pumpkin. This was just on the news recently , there is a shortage of pumpkins b/c of the drought so if might be best to buy a small pumpkin and cook it and blend in a blender them put it in an ice tray and once it frozen put it into a air tight container and back in the freezer. This way you know your dog is getting real pumpkin and not fake pumpkin that could have dye in it.

I didn't know about the pumpkin shortage. In the past when I used canned pumpkin I used Farmer's Organic canned pumpkin <http://www.farmersmarketfoods.com/products/organic-pumpkin/> because they allege no BPA in the can and it's organic<which means no dyes etc>; don't trust Libby's. But in terms of digestive/poop aids and plant-based items to try, you can also used sweet potato, or squash; I've used any of these canned or frozen. Just remember that if you have a dog with diabetes or cancer, I would not recommend the pumpkin or the sweet potato, but would go with a plain yellow squash instead. I personally enjoy fresh baked squash and have also used that with my dogs. I avoid white sugar and most sweeteners and so don't add those to squash if I bake it, so it works for the dogs too.

:) Rio, just as an aside - remember that "grain-free" does not equal carb-free. Still a lot of starch in a grain-free food.

I did that and found out my dog is allergic any feathered creature. I need to stick with salmon and bison. I do make own dog food sometimes and much healthier. I give her sweet potato, carrots, peas and some chucks of meat. She digs it!

:ty:Cappy! I enjoy discussing that kinda thing - that was my job at the holistic pet supply shop where I worked previously. Any other questions no problem to ask - much respect to you also :)

Rio - salmon and bison are nice choices. I know how much my girls love fish - we all enjoy canned sardines in water together; they also have had raw sardines. Smart of you to make your own dog food - we home cooked for some years with my first Rottweiler, who was dx w/renal issues/failure when she was 2 <years>. She lived to be 8 and 1/2 with good life quality. But that was how we got into species-appropriate nutrition and other holistic ways of doing things.

I didn't know about the pumpkin shortage. In the past when I used canned pumpkin I used Farmer's Organic canned pumpkin <http://www.farmersmarketfoods.com/products/organic-pumpkin/> because they allege no BPA in the can and it's organic<which means no dyes etc>; don't trust Libby's. But in terms of digestive/poop aids and plant-based items to try, you can also used sweet potato, or squash; I've used any of these canned or frozen. Just remember that if you have a dog with diabetes or cancer, I would not recommend the pumpkin or the sweet potato, but would go with a plain yellow squash instead. I personally enjoy fresh baked squash and have also used that with my dogs. I avoid white sugar and most sweeteners and so don't add those to squash if I bake it, so it works for the dogs too.
My dog love sweet potatoes , I guess the drought is the cause of the pumpkin shortage . I like baked acorn squash so I can give my dog some squash the next time I cook it . He been doing OK with his poop since I stop feeding him canned dog food , it was the natural dog food store but it just didn't agree with him.

@Rio, :ty: for the Canidae suggestion.
@dogmom, :ty: for all the tips!! When you mentioned Variety did you mean Natures Variety? I do not have a holistic store nearby, but my local Blaines Farm/Fleet has a large selection of dogfoods. I will look for those 2 brands soon. @dogmom , one more thing please...my youngest chihuahua almost always has a hard stool. Will adding cottage cheese help this situation, improve digestion issues? Thank you! :)
You are welcome. I used to give Porkchop Taste of the Wild . I switched to Canidae , English Bulldogs are recommended to eat grain -free it's really must on grain-free food.

All breeds are different and require a special diet or brand preference. I talk to other EBD owners and get recipes to make your own dog food. It can get costly, I always enjoy cooking for my baby. It's like bonding LOL

:ty:Cappy! I enjoy discussing that kinda thing - that was my job at the holistic pet supply shop where I worked previously. Any other questions no problem to ask - much respect to you also :)

Rio - salmon and bison are nice choices. I know how much my girls love fish - we all enjoy canned sardines in water together; they also have had raw sardines. Smart of you to make your own dog food - we home cooked for some years with my first Rottweiler, who was dx w/renal issues/failure when she was 2 <years>. She lived to be 8 and 1/2 with good life quality. But that was how we got into species-appropriate nutrition and other holistic ways of doing things.
English Bulldogs are high maintenance. They require a lot of attention. I enjoy making her dog food from to time. Beef , sweet potatoes, carrots with the beef natural juices . She loves it lol It's my way of bonding with her lol

English Bulldogs are high maintenance. They require a lot of attention. I enjoy making her dog food from to time. Beef , sweet potatoes, carrots with the beef natural juices . She loves it lol It's my way of bonding with her lol
Boy my dog would love to eat at your house ! LOL ! I haven't eaten red meat in about 48 years!

That's what my friends tell me all the time" can I eat at your place"? LOL
I was cooking stuffed red peppers one night and a neighbor from upstairs ringed my bell to tell me if wife said my food smell good ! LOL ! I only had 2 peppers one was for the next night .

I was cooking stuffed red peppers one night and a neighbor from upstairs ringed my bell to tell me if wife said my food smell good ! LOL ! I only had 2 peppers one was for the next night .
Your cooking smells good getting neighbors hungry haha

Jumped into the thread in the middle... and it's about cooking and human food... not pet food... heck of a wander from the OP...

when I had Finlay I brought him salmon dog treats and would bring some with us when we went to the park . One day there were a lot dogs at park and they were following me b/c they could smell the salmon dog treats in my pocket and some dogs were trying to put their nose in my pocket too ! LOL ! That was the last time I brought the treats to the park with me.

Back