Lawsuit Against Purina Beneful Dog Food For Death Of Dogs

:ty:/thanks for posting that, WDYS! Beneful is crap, always has been....

Oh...I do buy Purina Pro Plan. Especially the Savor, Bright Mind and Focus. I hope this is all okay. I wonder if @dogmom approves of these? I always have a tough time deciding on the best for my 2 doggies.

I don't buy any pet food from grocery stores , I go a natural pet food store to buy my dog's food. All of Purina pet food is crap !

Last edited:
:)Cappy and WDYS! I honestly agree that all of Purina is crap- am not a fan of kibble at all, actually, for routine feeding. I also do not recommend buying from "big box" or grocery stores, like WDYS! mentions. I recommend buying dog food from local, holistic pet supply shops <that do not sell animals> where the staff typically has had training in species-appropriate nutrition for our carnivorous dogs and cats.
Also - in terms of supplements or "add-ins" in kibble, like coconut oil or probiotics or whatever - there is usually too little in there to be effective and it's all been cooked to death anyway. High heat processing destroys nutrients and alters meat proteins, making kibble a very unhealthy choice to feed.

Canned dog foods didn't agree with my dog , I tried all kind of natural canned dog foods and Marty got the runs or constipation and I didn't want to feed him raw food b/c Marty had a habit of bring his food into the living room to eat on my w/w rug. GROSS ! I even tried Kosher canned dog food , this made him have constipation .

:)Cappy and WDYS! I honestly agree that all of Purina is crap- am not a fan of kibble at all, actually, for routine feeding. I also do not recommend buying from "big box" or grocery stores, like WDYS! mentions. I recommend buying dog food from local, holistic pet supply shops <that do not sell animals> where the staff typically has had training in species-appropriate nutrition for our carnivorous dogs and cats.
Also - in terms of supplements or "add-ins" in kibble, like coconut oil or probiotics or whatever - there is usually too little in there to be effective and it's all been cooked to death anyway. High heat processing destroys nutrients and alters meat proteins, making kibble a very unhealthy choice to feed.

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I really appreciate you sharing this! :ty:

You just added "species-appropriate nutrition" to my vocabulary. May I ask how that works? I mean how does a Mastiff require different food from a Jack Russell, or any other species?

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I really appreciate you sharing this! :ty:

You just added "species-appropriate nutrition" to my vocabulary. May I ask how that works? I mean how does a Mastiff require different food from a Jack Russell, or any other species?
Mastiff and Jack Russell are both the same species...

:ty:Botti and :)Muse- no, they are both carnivores. The Jack has a higher energy level than the Mastiff and will probably need more food, and/or fed more often, especially if competing in any sports. But they both require high-quality animal-based protein and fat as an optimal diet for long-term health.

:wave:Rio variety is also good....adding fresh meat or eggs or cottage cheese <if doing kibble> can be a way to get appropriate fresh protein and fat into the dog's diet.

:wave:Rio variety is also good....adding fresh meat or eggs or cottage cheese <if doing kibble> can be a way to get appropriate fresh protein and fat into the dog's diet.
:wave: Dogmom! My dog must eat grain-free dog food. I do treat her to eggs and bacon for breakfast once in awhile. My English Bulldog is very spoiled :lol:

@Rio, :ty: for the Canidae suggestion.
@dogmom, :ty: for all the tips!! When you mentioned Variety did you mean Natures Variety? I do not have a holistic store nearby, but my local Blaines Farm/Fleet has a large selection of dogfoods. I will look for those 2 brands soon. @dogmom , one more thing please...my youngest chihuahua almost always has a hard stool. Will adding cottage cheese help this situation, improve digestion issues? Thank you! :)

Interesting. I use Purina Pro Plan too same as some poster above. My dogs are 7 and 11 years old, and seem to be doing well, so I wasn't worried about the dog food. Dogmom, you are on my FB so you have seen the pics of my dogs.

@Rio, :ty: for the Canidae suggestion.
@dogmom, :ty: for all the tips!! When you mentioned Variety did you mean Natures Variety? I do not have a holistic store nearby, but my local Blaines Farm/Fleet has a large selection of dogfoods. I will look for those 2 brands soon. @dogmom , one more thing please...my youngest chihuahua almost always has a hard stool. Will adding cottage cheese help this situation, improve digestion issues? Thank you! :)
You could see you can buy the dog food on line or see if the store you shop at would carry the brand you want. More people are feeding their pets natural pet foods.
I don't buy and dog food or treats that come in pretty colors and cute shapes. My dog doesn't care what his food look like and his treats looked like rabbit
poop he would love that ! LOL !

Cappy, no I meant variety as in- all kinds. "One food for life" is a myth designed to promote brand loyalty at the least and possibly has more...concerning intent < no I don't trust Big Dog Food - "Big" as in same idea of "Big Pharma"> I would not get any dog food from Blaine's F&F or any big box store but as you said you have no holistic shop...adding in fresh food would be a good idea. Even when I fed kibble 14 or more years ago <since than have not fed any> I rotated through 3 or 4 brands of kibble such as the Nature's Variety you mention, Innova <there was no "grain-free" back then>, Wellness.... and added in other things. When looking at kibble or canned dog food, look for a named meat and/or a meat meal to be the first and second ingredients, or at least in the top 3. If you see <making up typical ingredient list>:"turkey, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice bran, canola oil, egg product..." - that's mostly potatoes and rice - mostly carbs, very little meat. Avoid it. Also, less sugary carbs such lentils or legumes are less negative for a pet carnivore than sugary, starchy items like potatoes. <and realize "egg product" is NOT the same as for-human-consumption-eggs you'd find the grocery store>. Avoid anything with corn, wheat or soy for variety or reasons. Like WDYS! suggested, avoid artificial colors, flavors and preservatives, all of which are potentially carcinogenic. If something is pink or turquoise or yellow - that's usually fake, not from a natural food dye. Don't look at pretty picture of bits of steak, carrots etc falling into or sitting next to the dog's dish. That's marketing hype and inaccurate to what -really- goes into "dog food". Read the ingredients label. as for your little Chi - you could try a few different things, in tiny increments, watching to see if there's a change in relation the new item. Try one new thing at a time. I would try the cottage cheese - or some other animal-based protein - regardless of stool - but again, tiny amounts. And realize that some dogs don't do well with dairy. I'd add in probiotics and enzymes with a new food item also if the dog is not used to eating fresh food or trying new foods - which actually is what the dog is designed to do. For crumbly stool specifically you could try: canned pumpkin <NOT pumpkin pie filling; can work for constipation or looseness....or small amount of fish oil < a supplement I suggest regardless because processed dog food is too high in omega-6 fatty acids, which promote inflammation and disease>....or again for the stool you could try the probiotics and enzymes. Any combination or single of the just-mentioned *may* help - but it may not a quick thing, especially if this has been happening for some time. Remember to just try one thing at a time, maybe for a week to 10 days - unless consistent and adverse effects - like, you now have runny or liquid poo that isn't resolving after a couple of days.

:)AC, yup, I remember seeing pic's of your gorgeous dogs <just decided to start a new post because the above got kinda long>.

:) Rio, just as an aside - remember that "grain-free" does not equal carb-free. Still a lot of starch in a grain-free food.

I just saw on the news that Libby's canned pumpkin is squash and not pumpkin . I not sure which news station I was watching and they don't always put everything on line. The squash isn't orange on the outside it grayish according to the news I will try to find it on line.

Back