Lawsuit against Gays/Lesbian High School

LeviathanC

Reaction score
NEW YORK (AP) -- A New York state senator and a conservative legal group have filed a lawsuit charging that a public high school for gay, bisexual and transgender students violates laws against segregation.

Bronx state Sen. Ruben Diaz and the Liberty Counsel filed the lawsuit Wednesday in state Supreme Court in New York City, arguing that the school breaks education rules barring discrimination based on sexual orientation.

School officials have said the school, Harvey Milk High, will be open to all students, regardless of their sexual orientation. Supporters say the school is needed to protect students who have been harassed.

Paul Rose, a spokesman for schools Chancellor Joel Klein, told the Daily News that the lawsuit was "a frivolous attack on a program that has helped children for many years."

The school is an expansion of a two-classroom program that began in 1984 and has been managed and financed by the Hetrick-Martin Institute, a gay-rights youth advocacy group.

Renovations are expected to be completed in the fall.

Here the link is:

Click here

"A New York state senator and a conservative legal group have filed a lawsuit charging that a public high school for gay, bisexual and transgender students violates laws against segregation"

I suppose they'll be filing a lawsuit to close the NY School for the Deaf (all of them) too.

LeviathanC said:
NEW YORK (AP) -- A New York state senator and a conservative legal group have filed a lawsuit charging that a public high school for gay, bisexual and transgender students violates laws against segregation.

Bronx state Sen. Ruben Diaz and the Liberty Counsel filed the lawsuit Wednesday in state Supreme Court in New York City, arguing that the school breaks education rules barring discrimination based on sexual orientation.

School officials have said the school, Harvey Milk High, will be open to all students, regardless of their sexual orientation. Supporters say the school is needed to protect students who have been harassed.

Paul Rose, a spokesman for schools Chancellor Joel Klein, told the Daily News that the lawsuit was "a frivolous attack on a program that has helped children for many years."

The school is an expansion of a two-classroom program that began in 1984 and has been managed and financed by the Hetrick-Martin Institute, a gay-rights youth advocacy group.

Renovations are expected to be completed in the fall.

Here the link is:

Click here

And your point? What will it prove?

"What will it prove?"

that this country is still full of narrow minded conservatives.

Bush_in_2004! said:
"A New York state senator and a conservative legal group have filed a lawsuit charging that a public high school for gay, bisexual and transgender students violates laws against segregation"

I suppose they'll be filing a lawsuit to close the NY School for the Deaf (all of them) too.

Why? There's even some hearing students who has taken classes at State sponsored deaf schools.

There's also no protection status for people with proper hearing skills.

About the time, I don't hate gay, but it needs to go, we don't need gay h.s. you know? we have millions h.s. what's wrong with them?

SG, they're arguing segregation. if that's the case, one could argue residential deaf schools segregate their students from the general population.

Bush_in_2004! said:
SG, they're arguing segregation. if that's the case, one could argue residential deaf schools segregate their students from the general population.

The reason there's a deaf school provided....is to meet special needs that hardly can be provided by a mainstreamed public school.

I recall reading somewhere where a hearing student wanted to go to the nearby deaf school. He didn't get turned down...also I've asked Lisa if there were any hearing kids that went to school and also been in dorms....Lisa said there were few.

Homosexual people only got special needs for "protection from dangerous behaviors coming from delirious hetrosexual people with their own views."

"The reason there's a deaf school provided....is to meet special needs that hardly can be provided by a mainstreamed public school."

Me: actually, there is no law that says a state must provide a separate segregated residential school for the deaf, however, there IS a law that says public schools must educated special needs students at a level equal to the rest of the students.

If you feel your mainstream school isn't up to par, hire an attorney -- the law is on your side. Parents/kids who bitch in forums instead of getting mainstream schools to comply have no one to blame but themselves.

now, getting back on topic . . . this lawsuit will be interesting to watch on so many levels. :!:

Bush_in_2004! said:
"The reason there's a deaf school provided....is to meet special needs that hardly can be provided by a mainstreamed public school."

Me: actually, there is no law that says a state must provide a separate segregated residential school for the deaf, however, there IS a law that says public schools must educated special needs students at a level equal to the rest of the students.

If you feel your mainstream school isn't up to par, hire an attorney -- the law is on your side. Parents/kids who bitch in forums instead of getting mainstream schools to comply have no one to blame but themselves.

now, getting back on topic . . . this lawsuit will be interesting to watch on so many levels. :!:

Right...no laws claim that you are required to go to deaf schools....same for gay schools.

All of state/federal schools are not allowed to discriminate based on sex, race, religion, and so on...

The suit contends the school is illegal because city funds are not supposed to be spent based on "sexual orientation" of students and that a separate educational facility for gays violates equal-protection guarantees in the Constitution....

The same suit claims the expenditure is an unlawful use of tax dollars to finance a LBGTQ school in light of the lack of funds for needy schools...the suit also points out that New York law guarantees the right to receive a quality public education, and the establishment of a homosexual-only school violates the equal protection rights of school children attending poor, failing schools and under-funded public schools.

Chancellor Joel Klein's office insisted yesterday that the school is not exclusionary, saying any student - straight or gay - is eligible to apply.

Go and figure. :p

comparing deaf and gay/lesbian school is like comparing oranges and apples :o

vvti low rolla said:
About the time, I don't hate gay, but it needs to go, we don't need gay h.s. you know? we have millions h.s. what's wrong with them?

What's wrong your millions of High schools you ask? Ask the gays and lesbians who suffer homophobic abuse, and then come back and tell me that those high schools are OK.

Sometimes we have no choice but to segregate.

The question you should be asking is WHY IS THERE SO MUCH RACISM, SEXISM, HOMOPHOBIA and PREJUDICE in the world, not why is there a seperate school for gays and lesbians. If you think about why we have racism, sexism, homophobia and prejudice seriously and deeply, you will find the answer to your question.

deafbrutha said:
WHY IS THERE SO MUCH RACISM, SEXISM, HOMOPHOBIA and PREJUDICE in the world

me: why? bigoted parents who teach their children to become bigots. a cycle that never ends.

Back