Largest Deaf Community

taurizs

Reaction score
I have been doing research about largest deaf community but not complete. Please correct me if this information is wrong.

1. Washington, DC Metro including Northern VA and Southern MD
2. Rochester, NY
3. Austin, TX
4. New York City, NY
5. Los Angeles, CA
6. Chicago, IL
7. Fremont, CA
8. Houston, TX
9. Clearwater, FL
10. Phoenix, AZ

Care to share some material for which you did your research with? Looks like an interesting subject to research.

I've heard the Clearwater area has a pretty decent sized deaf population but never saw anything official documenting it. I work in an area adjacent to CW, but only occasionally get any deaf folks. At which point I start cursing being mainstreamed and never having accessible sign language courses at school.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Care to share some material for which you did your research with? Looks like an interesting subject to research.

That's reason some people still have an argument about between Rochester, NY and Washington, DC both has largest deaf residents. some say Washington dc is number one and some say Rochester is number one. That's why I have to do is doing research more about largest deaf community.

I am sure you hear what they say Rochester or Washington has the largest deaf residents.

Why does it matter? No offense, but if I asked deaf cat if deaf cat are supposed to learn ASL faster than a deaf ferret, the deaf cat will say yes. If I asked deaf ferret if they're supposed to learn ASL faster than a deaf cat, the deaf ferret will say yes.

One town may be #1 in deaf population. Other town may be too. It's only a person's opinion.

It would take too much time to count the # of deaf people in each area.

From my experience, means i did socialize with people, i think washington DC is a large one. For example, gally, mssd, msd and federal govenmenr employees are where they are. Rochester is only rsd, and rit/ntid. That is it.

if you looking for deaf community worldwide then it not american go further south

What kind of information have you found about Las Vegas or Denver? Are there significant numbers of Deaf there?

Perhaps a better way to describe the largest deaf communities would be identifying those with the largest number of deaf folk (Going on that list, DC, NYC, LA) and those that have a high proportion/percent of deaf folks relative to national averages (Rochester, Clearwater).

On a related, historical note, when the earliest American schools for the deaf were being founded and organized, a large proportion of the earliest student bodies came from three areas in New England with historic deaf populations: Martha's Vineyard, Henniker, New Hampshire (Merrimack County), and the Sandy River area of Maine.

On a related, historical note, when the earliest American schools for the deaf were being founded and organized, a large proportion of the earliest student bodies came from three areas in New England with historic deaf populations: Martha's Vineyard, Henniker, New Hampshire (Merrimack County), and the Sandy River area of Maine.

Learn something new everyday, I've really only met a very few Deaf people from new hampshire though, guess they all moved back then. Does surprise me about nh though.

Perhaps a better way to describe the largest deaf communities would be identifying those with the largest number of deaf folk (Going on that list, DC, NYC, LA) and those that have a high proportion/percent of deaf folks relative to national averages (Rochester, Clearwater).

I didn't know that Maine had a Deaf population. Also did you know that in the 19th century Deaf= both deaf AND HOH?

Back