L.L. Beans Company is no longer made in America

webexplorer

Reaction score
I stopped and shopped at L.L. Beans in my town. I was really surprised that a lot of clothes and slippers are made in China. I mean China. Made in China is everywhere in most stores. L.L. Beans used to make things by American employees at the company in Maine for so many years. Now, that's something not right about it. That hurt many American people to see the labels.

What!! Oh Sheesh!!! I do love those clothes so now I guess i am not support L.L. beans! :(:(:(

Cheap labor in China, that is what is hurting us.

I can understand why the owner would do that, less labor more profit, and ability to sell for less. If made in USA, then they will have to increase the cost and pass to customer, and who wants to pay pricey clothes made in USA? That is the problem.

Could it possibly be that the MATERIALS are made in America but assembled in China - or even the materials are made in China but assembled in America. Some companies are doing things that way to keep hunky dory with America by saving (few) American jobs whilst outsourcing some of the production costs. I'd ask and see anyway. Ive always like Bean's clothing and I get their catalog on a regular basis.

Because the labors in China are much cheaper. It can decrease the costs..

I think Dixie has it.................it really does suck that we don't have factory work. I live in an area where there were historically a lot of textile factories.
There are a ton of old factories where I live.
I think maybe someone needs to do a Micheal Moore and maybe propose a way that we could have somewhat cheap labor, but still have it be a living wage, and support American workers. Back in the old days, a lot of the people who work in Wal and K Mart would have worked in factories.
I adore LL Bean. As a matter of fact, one of the outlets just opened near where I live.

That is true, the last textile union shut down few years ago. There are no more textile factory here in the United States. Shoe factory in the United state, the last one shut down during 90's. All due to what? labor being too expensive up here.

I think Dixie has it.................it really does suck that we don't have factory work. I live in an area where there were historically a lot of textile factories.
There are a ton of old factories where I live.
I think maybe someone needs to do a Micheal Moore and maybe propose a way that we could have somewhat cheap labor, but still have it be a living wage, and support American workers. Back in the old days, a lot of the people who work in Wal and K Mart would have worked in factories.
I adore LL Bean. As a matter of fact, one of the outlets just opened near where I live.

i never order LL beans but that stores very nice

im sure mostly people always missed that stores very much when stores got closed for more reasons because the store manager have problems like money or whatevers on families!

That's very disappointing news. :(

I will contact L.L. Bean and question them.

Their website is not very clear about that outsourcing. This is what I found:

Manufacturing
Continuing the tradition, L.L.Bean still manufactures old favorites such as Bean Boots by L.L.Bean® and the Boat and Tote® Bag, as well as newer items including fleece products and dog beds. The L.L.Bean manufacturing facilities, located in Brunswick and Lewiston, Maine, employ nearly 400 people. Over 400 products are manufactured at these facilities.

L.L.Bean is a leader in the manufacturing industry with regard to product quality, ergonomics and health and safety programs. The Brunswick facility has received the Margaret Chase Smith Quality Award for its commitment to quality. The L.L.Bean manufacturing division has been accepted into the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) Voluntary Protection Program at the Merit Level for facility safety, including strong employee involvement and managements' ergonomic focus.

Company president Chris McCormick remains committed to preserving the company's manufacturing foundation. He said, "Manufacturing is where L.L.Bean started, and our people take great pride in continuing this tradition, using the finest materials along with years of experience in quality craftsmanship."
L.L.Bean: Company Information: Background

Thanks, Reba for contacting them. Maybe they do some of both.

Oh, I never liked L.L. Beans, plus their clothes aren't my type.

Would I wear a whole outfit of LL Bean stuff? Probably not - too preppy for me - but I like the comfort and quality so I piece a Bean shirt with a nice jacket from JC Penny's, pants from Wal-Mart and shoes from the mall. I can look nice without losing my look.

My favorite shirt happens to be a Bean shirt.

I like to wear "country" clothes. Our nature country is slowly disappearing. The towns and cities are taking over the nature as we are developing apartments, malls, condos, and commercial properties for sales so rapidly. Our next children generations would never seen a real country, and they will go to a stuff animal museum to get the idea what's like the old days. The developers don't give a damn about the future, and where our clothes labels come from. They grab the money from their job.

Sadly, many outdoor employees do not know the names of trees and plants. Pine, maple, oak, cherry, sunflower, wild berry bush, etc. I asked my cousin to tell me where is north. He pointed up in the air. I said to him, "No, that's not correct." I thought he was kidding me. He wasn't. He is 17 years old. I asked a young man at an outdoor employee mall whether he knows what's that name of the two trees behind him. (He works as raking the leaves, cut some tree branches, etc.) He said that he doesn't know. He works for two years, and he still don't know so I told him that they are ginkgo and sycamore trees. Aren't they beautiful?

I would assume that our development buildings will be made in China. You know everything (things) in stores is already made in China. Funny, it's really true that our real Army, Navy clothes, and bullet vests are already made in China. It made me think that China is planting "poison" on our clothes to eliminate our population. I don't know how we prevent our government from buying things from China. I don't want to see "China" in our products in our country. I am sorry because it is way too much for us to see that. It hurt our feelings.

It used to be that people proudly bought products made in the USA. They didnt want anything commie-made or manufactured. Now our guns - something Americans are known for are slowly getting more and more Chinese made.

I think what we should do is go to our local wal-marts and try to find as many american made items possible and list them just to see really how much American made stuff is sold in America.

Once we tally it up then when we figure how many American items can be found in an American store - we should start pushing our lawmakers and what not to reconsider outsourcing jobs and manufacturing of products to China and other low-wage countries where workers have few if any rights.

I am betting that less than 50% of anything a person buys is made entirely in America.

one things for sure, the more products brought in from other countries just encourages cheap labour, unless it's under the fairtrade label I would advise you all to boycott the companies abusing cheap labour, whats the price of looking good? another family struggling to survive in another country? it's not about American companies trading to give you the best deals but trading to give themselves the best profits

Back