kindle fire...

SilentRider

Reaction score
Just learned they are coming out soon and offers good competition with ipad... What do u guys think?

Just learned they are coming out soon and offers good competition with ipad... What do u guys think?

NFB - National Federation of the Blind Condemns Lack of Access to New Kindle Fire

National Federation of the Blind Condemns
Lack of Access to New Kindle Fire
Baltimore, Maryland (September 29, 2011): The National Federation of the Blind commented today on the release of Amazon’s new Kindle Fire, which cannot be used by people who are blind.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: “Blind Americans have repeatedly asked Amazon to include accessibility for the blind in its Kindle product line. The feasibility of including accessibility in similar products has been demonstrated. The Department of Education and the Department of Justice have made it clear that Kindle devices cannot be purchased by educational institutions, libraries, and other entities covered by this country’s disability laws unless the devices are fully accessible. Despite all this, Amazon has released a brand new Kindle device, the Kindle Fire, which cannot be used by people who are blind. Enough! We condemn this latest action by Amazon and reiterate that we will not tolerate technological discrimination. The National Federation of the Blind seeks nothing less than equal access to all technology for blind people. It is one of the most critical civil rights issues facing blind Americans in the twenty-first century, and we will do everything in our power to see that this right is secured.”

Sir,

I know about the Kindle Fire has tv, movies, and etc.... But do they have a closed captions or not?

Deafbear

Botti, Can a totally blind person use a regular Kindle?

Yes, if they hear. I don't know if it is all books, but Kindle will read books aloud.

It is great for me though because absolutely everything can be really large print.

So even the regular Kindle wouldn't be good for a deaf person who was totally blind.

My mother wants to get my nephew the Kindle Fire for Christmas. I have a doubt on getting one for me if it can download Android apps like my Samsung Epic G4 does. I want to use it to play the games or working with apps and reading better.

I just ordered it for my hubby for his Christmas gift. I hope it is worth it. Anyone have one and how do you like it? I wish I could get him an iPad2 but too expensive right now.

I just ordered it for my hubby for his Christmas gift. I hope it is worth it. Anyone have one and how do you like it? I wish I could get him an iPad2 but too expensive right now.

One of my co-workers has one. She got it the first week they came out. It made me want to replace my older Kindle. I think he will probably enjoy it. It has a lot of features that the earlier versions don't have.

One of my co-workers has one. She got it the first week they came out. It made me want to replace my older Kindle. I think he will probably enjoy it. It has a lot of features that the earlier versions don't have.

He has always wanted a tablet to read his favorite books or written work while commuting to VA on the commuter train. Just learned that it has music as well so I am sure he will love that. I got him a MP3 player last year and he must have it with him on his commute since then. He commutes 2 hours each way. Ok ...I cant wait until he opens his gift! The tablet should arrive here sometime next week so I hope I will get it first so I can hide it from him. Ok...I feel better now.

I want the iPad2 so badly.

My hubby is getting the Nook Tablet for Christmas. He doesn't know it yet. :lol:

I think he also wants a Wii. He's not getting that unless he buys it himself!

Anyway, I think he will be very happy with the Nook.

My hubby is getting the Nook Tablet for Christmas. He doesn't know it yet. :lol:

I think he also wants a Wii. He's not getting that unless he buys it himself!

Anyway, I think he will be very happy with the Nook.

We got the Wii two years ago and have been happy with it since then. I always get the family 2 new games for the Wii each Christmas. I want the Wii "Just Dance 3" for Christmas but I am debating on whether to get it for the family or hope my hubby would get it for me. If not, I will just buy it later. No biggie. I have the Just Dance #1 and #2 and I love them.

Which games do you think your hubby would like to play?

We got the Wii two years ago and have been happy with it since then. I always get the family 2 new games for the Wii each Christmas. I want the Wii "Just Dance 3" for Christmas but I am debating on whether to get it for the family or hope my hubby would get it for me. If not, I will just buy it later. No biggie. I have the Just Dance #1 and #2 and I love them.

Which games do you think your hubby would like to play?

I'm not really sure, that's the thing. He's mentioned the Wii Fit; he said that looked like fun.

Back in the dark ages, we used to play Nintendo Zelda. In the store the other day, I saw a whole bunch of game cartridges with "Zelda" on them. He probably would have fun with those.

ETA: and the reason I saw those is because he was wandering around the Wii section at Target lookingly longingly at the hardware and all the games and such! But to try to get him to say right out "I really would like this, let's get it" is a challenge. He doesn't like to spend money frivolously, and in the end, I'm guessing this comes under the "frivolous" category in his thinking. He'd like it a lot better if it didn't cost so much, basically.

I just get confused when I go to the Wii site and try to figure it all out. I know they have come out with a new one, plus a revamped old one, and I can't tell what the difference is or why one would be better than the other or what.

I'm not really sure, that's the thing. He's mentioned the Wii Fit; he said that looked like fun.

Back in the dark ages, we used to play Nintendo Zelda. In the store the other day, I saw a whole bunch of game cartridges with "Zelda" on them. He probably would have fun with those.

I just get confused when I go to the Wii site and try to figure it all out. I know they have come out with a new one, plus a revamped old one, and I can't tell what the difference is or why one would be better than the other or what.

Google the games and check out the ratings. Mario Kart and Wii Sports are a lot of fun. I love those two.

Is the Wii Sports an active thing? Is that the one where you can "bowl" with the controller and such? He wants that sort of interactive gaming, not so much the "sit in the chair and punch buttons" sort of thing.

Is the Wii Sports an active thing? Is that the one where you can "bowl" with the controller and such? He wants that sort of interactive gaming, not so much the "sit in the chair and punch buttons" sort of thing.

Yes, the games are interactive. I get all sweaty and sore from playing tennis.

Back