Kim Jong II is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not the one that made the statement about Truman. You are. Why are you having such a difficult time explaining yourself?

already answered post #69

Not my problem if you can't read. But ... if I answered, you would ask for links ... so I went ahead and answered with links.

I already stated my opinion - You can blame Truman for this mess.

Well, I guess you could also blame Donald Duck, but you need to come up with a logical explanation of how and why. You haven't done that. You said you can blame Truman for all this mess, and then went about posting Wiki links. You have yet to explain exactly why or how you would lay all the responsibility on Truman.

Not my problem if you can't read. But ... if I answered, you would ask for links ... so I went ahead and answered with links.

No, you haven't answered anything. You posted Wiki links. Unless one of those Wiki links is an explanation of how Steinhauer thinks and what logic he is using to come up with his conclusions, your Wiki links explain nothing.

"Truman ignored George."

I'm interested in how you came up with that assessment

Kennan's influence rapidly declined under Secretary of State Dean Acheson, the successor of the ailing George Marshall in 1949 and 1950.[40][41] Acheson did not regard the Soviet 'threat' as chiefly political, and he saw the Berlin blockade starting in June 1948, the first Soviet test of a nuclear weapon in August 1949, the Communist revolution in China a month later and the beginning of the Korean War in June 1950 as evidence of his view. Truman and Acheson decided to delineate the Western sphere of influence and to create a system of alliances backed by conventional and nuclear weapons.

His proposals were discounted by the Truman administration and Kennan's influence was marginalized, particularly after Dean Acheson was appointed Secretary of State in 1949.

don't you think it was Secretary of State Acheson who ignored Kennan, not Truman? Does Kennan report directly to Truman?

"Truman ignored George."

I'm interested in how you came up with that assessment

don't you think it was Secretary of State Acheson who ignored Kennan, not Truman? Does Kennan report directly to Truman?

Right. Proposals were discounted by Truman administration, not Truman himself.

This policy was written as NSC-68, a classified report issued by the United States National Security Council in April 1950 and written by Paul Nitze, Kennan's successor as Director of Policy Planning.[42] Kennan and Charles Bohlen another State Department expert on Russia, fought over the wording of NSC-68, which emerged as the blueprint for waging the Cold War.[43] Kennan rejected the idea that Stalin had a grand design for world conquest implicit in Nitze's report and argued that he actually feared overextending Russian power. Kennan even argued that NSC-68 should not have been drafted at all, as it would make U.S. policies too rigid, simplistic and militaristic. Acheson overruled Kennan and Bohlen, backing up the view of the Soviet menace in NSC-68.[44]

Kennan opposed the building of the hydrogen bomb and the rearmament of Germany, which were policies backed up by the assumptions of NSC-68.[45][46] During the Korean War (which began when North Korea invaded South Korea in June 1950), when rumors started circulating in the State Department that plans were being made to advance beyond the 38th parallel into North Korea, a move that Kennan considered highly dangerous, he engaged in intense arguments with Assistant Secretary of State for the Far East Dean Rusk, who apparently supported Acheson's goal to forcibly unite the Koreas.[47]

Kennan lost influence with Acheson, who in any case relied much less on his staff than Marshall had. Kennan resigned as director of policy planning in December 1949 but stayed in the department as counselor until June 1950.[48] Acheson replaced Kennan with Nitze in January 1950, who was far more comfortable with the calculus of military power. Afterwards, Kennan accepted an appointment as Visitor to the Institute for Advanced Study from fellow moderate Robert Oppenheimer, Director of the Institute.[49]

Despite his influence, Kennan was never really comfortable in government. He always regarded himself as an outsider and had little patience with critics. W. Averell Harriman, the U.S. ambassador in Moscow when Kennan was deputy between 1944 and 1946, remarked that Kennan was "a man who understood Russia but not the United States".[50]

Truman ultimately made the decision to send troops. He is ultimately responsible for ignoring Kennan's warning. He attempted to drive the Soviets out of the Korean Peninsula altogether than drive them past the 38th. Kennan warned against doing that. He warned against forcibly reuniting Korea.

Yes, let the Koreans do it themselves.

Truman ultimately made the decision to send troops. He is ultimately responsible for ignoring Kennan's warning. He attempted to drive the Soviets out of the Korean Peninsula altogether than drive them past the 38th. Kennan warned against doing that. He warned against forcibly reuniting Korea.

Once again, you are talking about the Truman administration.. Acheson and Rusk, not Truman.

but... you're not making any sense. Are you saying that Kennan reports directly to Truman and Truman disregarded his assessment? All I see from your sources is that Kennan reports to Acheson and Acheson was the one who ignored him and continued to advise Truman without including Kennan's assessment since Acheson was the Secretary of State who reports directly to President.

that's fine. I respect your opinion on that issue.

Containment was a United States policy using numerous strategies to prevent the spread of communism abroad. A component of the Cold War, this policy was a response to a series of moves by the Soviet Union to enlarge communist influence in Eastern Europe, China, Korea, and Vietnam. It represented a middle-ground position between détente and rollback. The basis of the doctrine was articulated in a 1946 cable by U.S. diplomat George F. Kennan.

Containment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Per George Kennan, Truman misinterpreted, or misread, his policy of containment to mean the militarization and deployment of troops to stop the spread of communism.

It failed twice, in Korea and Vietnam.

Well, now; there's a well thought out reply.

Containment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Per George Kennan, Truman misinterpreted, or misread, his policy of containment to mean the militarization and deployment of troops to stop the spread of communism.
you are avoiding my simple question. Does Kennan report directly to Truman?

It failed twice, in Korea and Vietnam.
Truman wasn't the President during Vietnam War.

but hey in the end.... it turned out to be ok. Are you sure that you prefer that Americans should not get involved with Koreans?

Do you not realize that South Korea is America's most powerful and vital ally in Asian hemisphere - in fact.... the only one? and that Koreans were Americans' #1 most vital ally and asset in Vietnam War? and that Korea is more of America's best friend than British because we never burned down White House and we never engaged in war with America? and that Korea was the boon of significant technological advancement that benefits America like Samsung?

oh and kimchi?

On the news, they show many N. Korean individuals very upset and crying about his death. To what do you ascribe all the tearful emotion? Are the people really heartbroken that a beloved leader died? Or are they in high anxiety over what the new leader might bring to them? Or is it something else? What reaction do you get from your parents and their friends and relatives?

If they laugh or didn't cry, get shot.

At least, someone who used be N Korean, currently live in CA, he laughed...

On the news, they show many N. Korean individuals very upset and crying about his death. To what do you ascribe all the tearful emotion? Are the people really heartbroken that a beloved leader died? Or are they in high anxiety over what the new leader might bring to them? Or is it something else? What reaction do you get from your parents and their friends and relatives?

The people had to call Kim Jong 'Dear Leader' or they would had been 'dead' followers! The son is being called 'gift from Heaven'!! He should be called The Devil from HELL!! Did you see the photo of Kim Jong in a bed of flowers under a glass case and people are 'crying' ? It cry or dies~! It is all propaganda !

The people had to call Kim Jong 'Dear Leader' or they would had been 'dead' followers! The son is being called 'gift from Heaven'!! He should be called The Devil from HELL!! Did you see the photo of Kim Jong in a bed of flowers under a glass case and people are 'crying' ? It cry or dies~! It is all propaganda !

Kim Jong-il may become Eternal President of the Republic.

Do you know that North Korea is only country that running by dead? It make me wonder when they arrest the supreme leader. He said," I'm not actual leader, you're suppose arrest that president in grave!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back