Kim Jong II is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discuss away? In my opinion, It's kim jon il. not the second. not the ii.

Too bad he wasn't Kim Jong Healthy.

Must be from eating at the House of Flu

houseoflu.jpg

Of all the people most responsible for the Cold War, Truman was at numero uno.

Elaborate, please. Are you referring to the Cold War with Russia or the Korean War? How was Truman the most responsible for the Cold War?

Didn't the Soviets invade Korea leading to the Korean War?

sort of. Korean War was more like a proxy war by superpowers during Cold War - USA vs. USSR.

Elaborate, please. Are you referring to the Cold War with Russia or the Korean War? How was Truman the most responsible for the Cold War?

George F. Kennan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Soon after his concepts had become US policy, Kennan began to criticize the foreign policies that he had seemingly helped launch. Subsequently, prior to the end of 1948, Kennan was confident the state of affairs in Western Europe had developed to the point where positive dialogue could commence with the Soviet Union. His proposals were discounted by the Truman administration and Kennan's influence was marginalized, particularly after Dean Acheson was appointed Secretary of State in 1949. Soon thereafter, U.S. Cold War strategy assumed a more assertive and militaristic quality, causing Kennan to lament over what he believed was as an aberration of his previous assessments.

Kennan's influence rapidly declined under Secretary of State Dean Acheson, the successor of the ailing George Marshall in 1949 and 1950.[40][41] Acheson did not regard the Soviet 'threat' as chiefly political, and he saw the Berlin blockade starting in June 1948, the first Soviet test of a nuclear weapon in August 1949, the Communist revolution in China a month later and the beginning of the Korean War in June 1950 as evidence of his view. Truman and Acheson decided to delineate the Western sphere of influence and to create a system of alliances backed by conventional and nuclear weapons.

Paul H. Nitze and U.S. Cold War Strategy from Truman to Reagan

Truman ignored George.

Um... it's somewhat more complicated than that. During the World War II, there were quite a lot of tension between the nations. Russia had suffered a great deal of casualties compared to the USA. I believe it was something like 60 times the casualties of American military. As a result, the Soviets made sure that they would never be invaded again or weakened by any other rivals.

Also, all of the other rivals were greatly weakened or destroyed in the war. The USA and the Soviets were the remaining superpower countries. So it was hardly a surprise that the USA and Soviets became enemies. The Cold War has a complicated history, the history textbooks in both countries are grossly slanted.

what do you believe what should have been done? Truman should not get involved and let Koreans deal with it themselves?

I think you would be the best person to answer that question Jiro.

Because he knows more about it than anyone else here.

this is not about fact-finding. this is about your disagreement with Truman's decision.

so in your opinion, what should have happened? leave it alone and "not my problem"?

sort of. Korean War was more like a proxy war by superpowers during Cold War - USA vs. USSR.

Yeah. I believe it was called the first skirmish of the Cold War.

tl;dnr

Just spit it out. Jeeze We don't have time to go on a cat and mouse chase through wikipedia and teh internets. :roll:

I know. Why can't people just answer a question instead of constantly posting Wiki links? Oh, right...they don't have an answer.

I think you would be the best person to answer that question Jiro.

He's not the one that made the statement about Truman. You are. Why are you having such a difficult time explaining yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back