Kids Turned Away From Church....

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok *pat on your back*

you don't have to try so hard. just FYI - it's silly to engage in intellectual debate if your only defense is quibbling on little things. just to satisfy you - I'll reword it: "yea... like a few chapters while most of it was written in Hebrew"
He's not quibbling on a little thing. He's being accurate. You're the one that made a big deal about reading the original texts, yet you don't know what those original texts were.

God used languages that were common when He dictated the original text. Why? Because He wanted as many people as possible to have access to them.

For that same reason, He doesn't limit His Word to those original languages. He wants His Word translated (carefully, scholarly, and prayerfully) with Holy Spirit guidance into as many languages and dialects possible, so that it may be spread to as many people as possible.

God doesn't want His Word kept from people or restricted. It's not just for a select few people. It's for everyone.

P.s.

If you want to really get picky, there are also some transliterated Aramaic phrases in the Greek New Testament. :)

what? you should know that "original" means original. just because a person translated old Spanish folklore into English doesn't mean it's exactly same. The meaning and essence are lost in translation.

If Quran was originally written in Arabic language, then a follower/scholar should learn Arabic language to read the original religious text because it's the true verbatim of God.

So are you saying that a man should have to learn to read the original language to know what it really means? Nonsense! It was never intended that way. God confused the languages of the people at that time on purpose but He also wants His word to be read and known by all mankind which means that it must be translated into additional languages to be understood. Thus translations can be and generally are accurate if done by studied experts on the language. So therefore if it's translated it can "STILL" be the true word of God.

the original was written in Hebrew language.

I find it hilariously comical when one defends Bible and not know the original text.

I find it sad when one comments on something they think they know but do not! Embarassing in fact! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! :wave:

He's not quibbling on a little thing. He's being accurate. You're the one that made a big deal about reading the original texts, yet you don't know what those original texts were.
I'm simply pointing out that other major religions like Islam do not change any single word in their holy books because it would be a blasphemy to reword it. To reword it is to redirect it from its original meaning.

God used languages that were common when He dictated the original text. Why? Because He wanted as many people as possible to have access to them.
Sounds like quantity over quality.

For that same reason, He doesn't limit His Word to those original languages. He wants His Word translated (carefully, scholarly, and prayerfully) with Holy Spirit guidance into as many languages and dialects possible, so that it may be spread to as many people as possible.

God doesn't want His Word kept from people or restricted. It's not just for a select few people. It's for everyone.
as many people as possible? how unfortunate.... since most people misunderstood it. If there is so many controversy over biblical interpretations on various of issues such as homosexuality, then I question the validity of translation because it's so widely and sadly misunderstood.

bottom line - it's simply best left to educated.... monks.... and followers....

So are you saying that a man should have to learn to read the original language to know what it really means? Nonsense! It was never intended that way. God confused the languages of the people at that time on purpose but He also wants His word to be read and known by all mankind which means that it must be translated into additional languages to be understood. Thus translations can be and generally are accurate if done by studied experts on the language. So therefore if it's translated it can "STILL" be the true word of God.

says who? a man?

I find it sad when one comments on something they think they know but do not! Embarassing in fact! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! :wave:

ah yes... yes... and my tshirt says

rAdGS.jpg

To follow your line of augment would mean that both The Book of Mormon and the Quran are filled with errors since both have their foundation from the Old and New Testaments.

I'm simply pointing out that other major religions like Islam do not change any single word in their holy books because it would be a blasphemy to reword it. To reword it is to redirect it from its original meaning.
Translations aren't "rewording."

Rewording would be to make changes to the original text in the same language.

Sounds like quantity over quality.
Not at all. That's why it takes such a long time to get translations into more languages. It's done very carefully.

as many people as possible? how unfortunate.... since most people misunderstood it. If there is so many controversy over biblical interpretations on various of issues such as homosexuality, then I question the validity of translation because it's so widely and sadly misunderstood.
Even the people who refer back to the original languages disagree on their meanings. Not all people base meanings in an unbiased way or with the Holy Spirit's guidance. They selectively pick phrases out of context to fit their agendas.

Even since the beginning, the serpent Satan misquoted and misinterpreted God's Word in his temptation of Eve, and she fell for it, even though God spoke directly to her and Adam. Sometimes people hear (or read) what they want they want to, not what it really is.

bottom line - it's simply best left to educated.... monks.... and followers....
Monks? That would be rather limiting, and give control to a small group only.

Followers? Yes, that's more accessible. That's what most believers endorse. :)

Why not both? ;)

that's fine with me especially for those with common sense and intelligence but as for buffoons who believe praying fixes it all and misinterprets the meaning... what a waste.

To follow your line of augment would mean that both The Book of Mormon and the Quran are filled with errors since both have their foundation from the Old and New Testaments.

um... if you were to follow my line of argument.... then this is what you should have said - New Testament is full of errors.

Translations aren't "rewording."

Rewording would be to make changes to the original text in the same language.
God is perfect. His verbatim is absolute and perfect. Why change it?

Not at all. That's why it takes such a long time to get translations into more languages. It's done very carefully.
yea sounds like quantity over quality.

Even the people who refer back to the original languages disagree on their meanings. Not all people base meanings in an unbiased way or with the Holy Spirit's guidance. They selectively pick phrases out of context to fit their agendas.
exactly. this is what happens when a man translates the original Bible. what a mess... bloody mess....

Even since the beginning, the serpent Satan misquoted and misinterpreted God's Word in his temptation of Eve, and she fell for it, even though God spoke directly to her and Adam. Sometimes people hear (or read) what they want they want to, not what it really is.
there you go. that's why it's so widely misunderstood. what a waste.

Monks? That would be rather limiting, and give control to a small group only.

Followers? Yes, that's more accessible. That's what most believers endorse. :)
educated followers that is.

God is perfect. His verbatim is absolute and perfect. Why change it?
If the translation is faithful to the original source, then that isn't changing it.

God doesn't want to limit the reading of His Word to only those who can read Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek.

yea sounds like quantity over quality.
It sounds more like you are ignoring what I posted. That's not at all what I said.

exactly. this is what happens when a man translates the original Bible. what a mess... bloody mess....
It's not always the translation. It's the misuse of the Bible to intentionally fit personal and political agendas.

there you go. that's why it's so widely misunderstood. what a waste.
When God's Word is used intentionally to mislead it's more than a waste. It's a disaster.

educated followers that is.
If they are educated by the Holy Spirit, then there's none better. :)

If the translation is faithful to the original source, then that isn't changing it.

God doesn't want to limit the reading of His Word to only those who can read Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek.

It sounds more like you are ignoring what I posted. That's not at all what I said.

It's not always the translation. It's the misuse of the Bible to intentionally fit personal and political agendas.

When God's Word is used intentionally to mislead it's more than a waste. It's a disaster.

If the translation isn't faithful to its original souce, then it is lost in the process. It has been translated several times. If today's scholars cannot agree what the original language was used, something is screwy.
What you believe is fine with me and most of us in here, I am sure. Faith is irrational but I am a fan of irrationality. :giggle:

says who? a man?

Yes I know it's not what you said and I'm simply telling you what I think.

yes that typically happens when one translates a true meaning into something else.

:)

If the translation isn't faithful to its original souce, then it is lost in the process. It has been translated several times....
Some have been.

The best translations go back to the sources and make their translations from those rather than translating translations.

Actually, much of the Bible was oral tradition for years before it was ever written down. We all know how well that goes.

Moses: "Hey,Aaron, so I set this bush on fire by accident when I was cooking up the falafel yesterday, and I had this really good insight as I was trying to put it out. We should probably get the heck out of Egypt!"

Later . . .

THERE WAS A BURNING BUSH! AND IT WAS TALKING TO MOSES! AND GOD SPOKE TO HIM AND TOLD HIM TO LEAD THE ISRAELITES! AND . . . ! AND . . . !!!!!!

Actually, much of the Bible was oral tradition for years before it was ever written down. We all know how well that goes.

Moses: "Hey,Aaron, so I set this bush on fire by accident when I was cooking up the falafel yesterday, and I had this really good insight as I was trying to put it out. We should probably get the heck out of Egypt!"

Later . . .

THERE WAS A BURNING BUSH! AND IT WAS TALKING TO MOSES! AND GOD SPOKE TO HIM AND TOLD HIM TO LEAD THE ISRAELITES! AND . . . ! AND . . . !!!!!!

Well, at least you got the second part right! :ty: One out of two is better than none!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back