Keyless ignition problem

I have a 2015 Honda CR-V with a keyless fob that I've been guilty of leaving running twice. It's so quiet I feel no vibration or hear the pinging of the door when I open it. Fortunately I can see my car from my office window so when I see I left it running (only twice so far) I go right out and turn it off. But I can see how it'd be a problem leaving it running inside a closed garage. That hasn't happened yet.

Right but deaf drivers can't hear engine motors or beep. Some Seniors forgot to shutoff ignition. I think federal law may require to add auto-shutoff features in all vehicles if lawmakers or congressmen push. You should wear hearing aid or CP. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

That's what RPM meter for. Use your eyes on the RPM meter. No excuses.

I was at the bank awhile ago and saw a guy trying to open a SUV ,at first I thought he was trying to break into it. But he looked really pissed off and talking his iPad and trying t open the door . He was also banging on the window and trying to pry open one of small side window , not sure why.
It was too small to climb through . I watched him a few minutes and he was getting madder by the minutes . I wonder if he finally got it open.

Old school at best!

2011-dodge-avenger-express-steering-column.jpg

Old schools is better for old people only. :giggle:

AlleyCat and I plus a few others shared our stories in another thread about leaving our cars running. I did it once so far, left it running for over two hours. I think I would rather have a key starter rather than the push button. I'm definitely going to be more careful, I do not want to leave my car running in the garage. Hasn't happened yet for me either.

I have a 2015 Honda CR-V with a keyless fob that I've been guilty of leaving running twice. It's so quiet I feel no vibration or hear the pinging of the door when I open it. Fortunately I can see my car from my office window so when I see I left it running (only twice so far) I go right out and turn it off. But I can see how it'd be a problem leaving it running inside a closed garage. That hasn't happened yet.

AlleyCat and I plus a few others shared our stories in another thread about leaving our cars running. I did it once so far, left it running for over two hours. I think I would rather have a key starter rather than the push button. I'm definitely going to be more careful, I do not want to leave my car running in the garage. Hasn't happened yet for me either.

Soon or later, Factory will update the ECM to shut engine down if no key found for one minutes. Mostly newer semi-truck got auto shut down if engine idle for five minutes or less.

I can see how we'd rather have a key, but I think that eventually will not be an option. It wasn't for the car we just bought. But if the manufacturers are working on ways to have the engine shut down after so long, then good. But I wonder how that works with remote starters of which we have too.

Soon or later, Factory will update the ECM to shut engine down if no key found for one minutes. Mostly newer semi-truck got auto shut down if engine idle for five minutes or less.

I tries to PM you theres no say to pm you so can you please message me or can you please email me at civicproject06@hotmail.com i really need to speak with you very important. Email me ASAP! Thanks !! Anyone can tell him to please contact with me asap thank you!

Yes, I bought new 2016 Honda CR-V last two weeks ago. I almost forgot to shut off push-button start someday. I can't hear horn beep. (audible alerts) I heard that news reports have linked more than a dozen carbon-monoxide deaths to keyless ignitions. My friend told me deaf person found carbon-monoxide gas in closed garage when engine run. then quickly open garage door. He was lucky to be my life. Should contact Honda support to request updates software of auto-off system for deaf drivers? Or key required ignition and shut-off with the fob in the key? Should be key fob from a keyless ignition vehicle more than 10 or 20 feet away from the car will shut down the engine.

Last edited:
It is not car's fault.. DRIVER is responsible.

This is actually a product design problem. In my best understanding (I am not a designer--someone please correct me if I'm wrong!), this is a failure with the Gulf of Evaluation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_evaluation

Essentially, the entire system and its state should be immediately evident and intuitive to the person using the system. If a Deaf person doesn't get a visual signal that the engine is still running then they don't understand the engine is running, and thus this is a big Gulf of Evaluation issue.

It is the car's fault/ well designers at least...
When a car is stationary for a certain period the ignition should turn itself off. Here that's already the case in lots of cars. And a warning on the dashboard that the car is still running.

fob 1 |fäb|
noun (also fob chain)
a chain attached to a watch for carrying in a waistcoat or waistband pocket.
• a small ornament attached to a watch chain.
• (also fob pocket) a small pocket for carrying a watch.
• a tab on a key ring.
ORIGIN mid 17th cent. (denoting a fob pocket in a waistband): origin uncertain; probably related to German dialect Fuppe ‘pocket.’

Back