Keyboard Cleaning

ClearSky

Reaction score
How do you clean Keyboards? Also, do you like those air spray cans that clean between the keys?

Pluck the buttons out and clean the bottom of the under lays, it works that way, eh.

It's better to take the keyboard buttons out and clean it with q-tips and a soft towel with a little amount of green simple liquid on the keyboard. Don't forget where you put the buttons back in the right place.

Maybe, you might want to use a UV wand to eliminate the bacteria on the buttons after you clean up your fancy keyboard that might be worth a million dollar. hee hee.

I just run a piece of folded paper between the keys coz I can't be bothered plucking the keys out.

Pluck the buttons out and clean the bottom of the under lays, it works that way, eh.
That's what I do.

Strangely, my keyboard is designed in a way that if I spill water on it... it won't go through the keyboard completely. It's like the top part of the keyboard is full of mini-canals.

It happened to me twice... luckily, both times were when I really needed to clean my keyboard anyways. :)

I simply unscrewed the whole thing and took it apart (including plucking out the keys)... then poured out the water... then dried what I could with a paper towel... then used a Q-tip to clean up the small parts as well as the dirty parts.

Now, my keyboard looks like new. :)

Thanks. I didn't think of removing the key buttons.
Be careful though.

Some keyboards are designed so that it's hard to remove the keys.

Mine is tricky. I have to use tweezers to get mine out. No, it's not because it's small and requires pinching. It's because the shape of the holes that I have to poke to pop them out... happen to fit my tweezers perfectly. :)

That's what I do too. I pluck out the keyboard keys and clean it up. The air sprays only works if there's only dusts around. If you're the type of the person who likes to eat chips, and other things while you're on the computer, plucking it out will be much better because some of the time, the crumbs will get through where the air sprays often can't get at.

I always use air spray to clean out laptop keyboards. Do not remove any keys. I yelled to lost keys when my friend's two-years old son removed out some keys from my laptop. We were hard to replace them into it. that s not easy to replace than desktop s keyboard.

I always use air spray to clean out laptop keyboards. Do not remove any keys. I yelled to lost keys when my friend's two-years old son removed out some keys from my laptop. We were hard to replace them into it. that s not easy to replace than desktop s keyboard.

:lol: I don't blame ya that kids pluck out keyboard. I replaced my friend's laptop keyboard cuz their son did the same thing.. I easily found it in Ebay. There's plenty of them.

What I did with my laptop keyboard, I removed keboard entirely and kinda "bang" the bottom edge of keyboard on table (Keyboard kinda dribble a bit when I tapped on table little hard cuz it had metal on edge) to get all crumbs and debris out then use compressed air to blow more out. Finally it's clean then put it back into the laptop.

Catty

Thanks for all of the tips. I haven't cleaned it up, but I will. I just want to feel the keyboards clean!

That what I do is unscrew the keyboard and the buttons out then clean them up till all done? then put them all the keys buttons back in then the keyboard back in and TA-DA!!! :)

But first, take picture of it before taking it apart for cleaning - so that way you can identifying the keyboard buttons where it belongs to....

But first, take picture of it before taking it apart for cleaning - so that way you can identifying the keyboard buttons where it belongs to....

Not neccesary, can be done by following keyboard setup from another keyboard. I've done this before and played trick on my kids by mixing up the buttons :rofl: But my wife happen to use the system with mixed up keyboard and she got pissed at me. :giggle:

:topic:

I've played trick on friends and family with old desk SWBell phone with two "same" number (it came from my friend who gave it to me cuz he got new phone, he told me that other friend who fixed SWBell phone mess it up). When anyone tried to dial number, they ended up getting confused and couldn't figure out which is which for example :

regular button setting for phone

*0#

while the funny phone button setting was

*0#

:rofl:

Catty

Not neccesary, can be done by following keyboard setup from another keyboard. I've done this before and played trick on my kids by mixing up the buttons :rofl: But my wife happen to use the system with mixed up keyboard and she got pissed at me. :giggle:

:topic:

I've played trick on friends and family with old desk SWBell phone with two "same" number (it came from my friend who gave it to me cuz he got new phone, he told me that other friend who fixed SWBell phone mess it up). When anyone tried to dial number, they ended up getting confused and couldn't figure out which is which for example :

regular button setting for phone

*0#

while the funny phone button setting was

*0#

:rofl:

Catty
Some computers have a command that lets you convert the keyboard settings to other countries (that still use the same alphabet).

QWERTY is the standard American keyboard set-up.

I did it at my community college a couple times. When I went to the computer lab, I would change the keyboard. When people typed, they ended up with different letters than they typed. (Only 2 to 8 letters were switched around.) ;)

When I see my keyboard dirty, I buy new one, it's $5 at Wal-Mart.

When I see my keyboard dirty, I buy new one, it's $5 at Wal-Mart.

Really? They must be so dirty that you must have to buy a new one. I know it's 5 dollars, but if they are able to be cleaned, then many of us don't see a reason to buy a new one. I think it's polluting the environment to dispose of keyboards everytime they are dirty.

Really? They must be so dirty that you must have to buy a new one. I know it's 5 dollars, but if they are able to be cleaned, then many of us don't see a reason to buy a new one. I think it's polluting the environment to dispose of keyboards everytime they are dirty.

You think? Hmm. Ever heard of recycling?
I always buy new keyboard every 3 months, are you going to sue me for polluting the environment? :lol:

Pick up the keyboard and turn it upside then shake as the mess come out of the keyboard, same idea as toaster ;)

Back