Kentucky clerk refused have same sex marriages license!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh WOW ! 4 times is a lot of times to be married .

I don't know offhand if it was in this thread or elsewhere but I remember reading that she has had 4 marriages to 3 guys. She was married to the father of her son twice with one to someone else in between.,

I don't know offhand if it was in this thread or elsewhere but I remember reading that she has had 4 marriages to 3 guys. She was married to the father of her son twice with one to someone else in between.,
yes

Married #1
While married to #1, cheated and had twins by another man
Divorced #1, married #2 who adopted her twins
Divorced #2, married #3- who happens to be the biological father of her twins
Divorced #3 and married #4 who was also #2.

As far as I've read- apparently divorce(nor adultery) is not against her beliefs though I have heard that many Christians (I know Catholics do) do believe that divorce is wrong and should not be permitted/happen.

yes

Married #1

As far as I've read- apparently divorce(nor adultery) is not against her beliefs though I have heard that many Christians (I know Catholics do) do believe that divorce is wrong and should not be permitted/happen.

One thing to make clear tho is that according to her, that happened before she became a christian. While it may not matter to you, it does to Christians cause that marked a turning point in her life to try to straighten up her life and do right by God.

The doors should be locked so she can't go back to refusing gay people to get married ! It's none of her damn business who people want to marry .
The judge should never had let her out of jail b/c she never did say she was going to follow the court ruling .

The doors should be locked so she can't go back to refusing gay people to get married ! It's none of her damn business who people want to marry .
The judge should never had let her out of jail b/c she never did say she was going to follow the court ruling .

I'm agreed with you!!

It is the job of the county clerk to make sure that the people applying for marriage licenses meet the requirements of the state.

Probably not given the number of times she has been married herself. It would have to be a late change if that is now what she believes.
So there would be no reason for her to turn down divorced applicants unless she has stated otherwise.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/14/politics/kim-davis-same-sex-marriage-kentucky/index.html

Kim Davis, county clerk of Rowan County, Kentucky, returned to work Monday, saying she will not issue any marriage licenses that go against her religious beliefs -- but she left the door open for her deputies to continue to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, as long as those documents do not have Davis' name or title on them.

Her statement produced more questions than answers.

She acknowledged that she is not sure on the legality of licenses altered in such a way.

Davis spent five days behind bars this month for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses -- something she is legally obligated to do under state and federal law.

On her first day back at work, she read a statement calling for state authorities to find a solution to accommodate her religious beliefs.

"Effective immediately, and until an accommodation is provided by those with the authority to provide it, any marriage license issued by my office will not be issued or authorized by me," Davis said.

In the meantime, she offered an interim resolution, but it is unclear if it passes legal muster:

If her deputies -- who had been issuing marriage certificates to same-sex couples in her absence -- continue to do so, Davis said she will not stop them, but that those certificates must not have her name or title, and must instead state that they are issued pursuant to a federal court order.

U.S. District Judge David Bunning "indicated last week that he was willing to accept altered marriage license even though he was not certain of their validity," Davis said. "I, too, have great doubts whether the license issued under these conditions are even valid."

Davis was clear on one thing: She will not sign any marriage licenses for same-sex couples, and her deputies are not authorized to issue them either.

But, she added, if her deputies go against her orders and provide marriage certificates to same-sex couples anyway, she will not take any action against them -- apparently leaving a door open.

So, is Davis continuing to defy the order from the judge? Even experts weren't sure at first glance.

"I think that's what she said," Toobin said.

Toobin said that Kentucky law might allow for a deputy's signature to be valid on a marriage license, even without the clerk's consent. But if the documents are altered to remove Davis' name and title, a court may have to rule on their validity.

Since being released from jail last week, Davis has been lying low and opening boxes of letters sent to her while she was in jail.

"I am deeply moved by all those who prayed for me," she said in a statement. "All I can say is that I am amazed and very grateful."

Who is Kim Davis?

Davis' legal team has been busy on her behalf, filing motions that suggest her brief stint in jail did nothing to change her mind.

On Friday, for example, her defense attorneys asked Bunning for "injunctive relief," which essentially amounts to a request that she be exempt from having to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples until the matter is resolved by the Federal Court of Appeals. The judge denied the appeal.

What does it mean to be in contempt of court?

What does it mean to be in contempt of court? 01:24
Davis' attorney, Mat Staver, said a solution would be to remove not just Davis' name and office from the marriage licenses themselves but from the process entirely. Have the state issue them instead, he said.

Sounds simple enough, but under current Kentucky state law, the authority to issue marriage licenses rests solely with each of the state's 120 county clerks, meaning it would take an act of the legislature to transfer that authority. The legislature, however, doesn't convene until January 5, and Gov. Steve Beshear has said he has no intention of calling lawmakers back to Frankfort for an emergency session before then.

Legislation in the works
Kentucky state Senate President Robert Stivers told CNN last week that a legislative solution was in the works and it would likely pass quickly when lawmakers convene in January.

But that is still some three months away, three months in which Davis, who refuses to resign, will still have the authority to issue -- or to not issue -- marriage licenses in Rowan County.

"It's a very, very difficult decision that no one wants to have," said Staver. "Choose your job, or choose your faith."

"It's a very, very difficult decision that no one wants to have," said Staver. "Choose your job, or choose your faith."

Sometimes that's the choice one must make.

I saw this on the news tonight, a church that welcome gay people and I hope other churches will do the same. There are to many young gay kids that do not feel that they belong and they end up committing suicide.
I wonder if the gay people feel comfortable when the pastor preaches against sin, including homosexuality?

Not everyone in the congregation agreed; half the members left, according to the news report.

Murder was just a mere example. The idea behind that example is we are supposed to follow the law, and murder, burglary, rape, etc. are not legal, AS WELL AS defying the SCOTUS. This is a hopeless argument, I'm done.

Every one has the right to accsess the legal system. That includes this women. If she and her laywers wish to pursue a futile legal means contrary to the scotus rulling sobe it.

That in itself is not ilegal. It is whithin the bounds of the law. Sucks for you and others who seem to hold the idea this women has less legal rights to play the system like everyone else.
As to everyone has to follow the law. Im curious.
If the scotus decided against gay marriege. Would the lgbta movment meakly follow it? Did the lgbta moment and gays follow the anti gay laws snd anti sodomy laws when they where implace and enforced?

Or is this one of those "we didnt and dont have to follow the law but everyone else does when it suits you type of arguments"?

I have no problems with her not issuing them as is her "right" but I do have a problem with her not allowing anyone else in her office to issue them.

I don't know why there isn't a movement to remove her name unless it's a time consuming process to do so.

This is my position.
In a nutshell

This is my position.
In a nutshell

Thank you. That is EXACTLY what I'd been trying to say. She had no right to stop her entire office from issuing these licenses, but that's exactly what she did. I don't know you've failed to understand what I've been saying. :roll:

Probably not given the number of times she has been married herself. It would have to be a late change if that is now what she believes.

Apperently her divorces her divorces occured prior to her finding her present strict adherence to her faith which she converted too when she married her current husband.

yes

Married #1

See above post,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back