Kanso - thoughts?

Hockey94

Reaction score
So I thought I check out anything new with Cochlear and I saw that they have a new device called Kanso.

I am intrigued in getting one but wasn't sure on how it felt. Here are my pros and cons so far.

Pros:

No coil = big + for me there. #1 reason why my C.I's keep breaking down.
No earhooks = Hated N5 and N6 for this reason.
Rubbing against ear.

Cons:
No buttons = have to rely on remote?
requires batteries? - not too bad but unlike HA - have to order it online.
Magnet strength?
looks a little bulky and odd - looks like a pebble to me but meh I wouldn't care so much as I normally wear my hair down - but if I get a custom skin for it then would be nice.

Not sure if it's available for upgrades but my N5 is due for an upgrade and so I wanted to hear from others on their experiences before I talk to my audiologist about it.

Hi, just this past weekend we had a CI users meeting and I had the opportunity to try Kanso for a couple hours.
I'm currently using a N5 with magnet strength 5. With Kanso I used magnet #6 (the strongest one) and it was pretty ok, although I also used the hair clip to be sure it doesn't fall. I didn't try any stuff like running or standing upside down :D but I don't do this kind of things normally, so I think I should be fine with it. It's very comfortable not having anything sitting on the ear (especially when I have glasses as well), but at the same time I also feel that having a processor on my ear is safer.
The sound quality was a better than with my N5 - no wonders, it's a newer technology. In silence and mild noise it was recognizably better than N5, in big noise not that much. I also compared programs with and without SCAN, with it it was usually better.
I loved the wireless stuff - tried only the MiniMic 2+, but it was very cool to hear people very clearly even when they were far away. By the way, if I wanted to do phone calls, I would definitely need Phone Clip for that - using the phone with Kanso would be totally impossible for me, I couldn't find the correct location where I would hear the phone. Plus the phone kept "jumping" to the processor because of the strong magnet :D
Batteries are quite a big disadvantage, I'm used to rechargeables and don't really like the idea of buying and changing batteries.
It has one button - switch on/off and changing programs. I had the small remote to play with. Big remote isn't compatible with Kanso yet. Not that big issue, I don't change settings anyways, only sometimes programs - and I could do that even on the processor itself.
Size isn't that bad. Of course it's bigger than the N5/6 coil, but when you consider that there is everything what is in N5/6 processor and coil together, it's not that big.

But if I had to choose between N6 and Kanso, I would have a serious dilemma. Both have theirs pros and cons.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask - I'm not any expert yet since I had it only for a few hours. But I'll probably borrow it for a few weeks soon and test it more.

Wow Cochlear have advanced a lot. I think I heard someone talking about a processor with nothing on the ear coming out, so I think this is what it is.

I have a Kanso (free exchange from N6 due to recent surgery). It has the same internals as the N6. There *is* a button on it, so you can change programs without the remote. It does require disposable batteries. Mine last about 2 or 2.5 days - that will vary based on your program, skin thickness, etc. Size-wise, it's slightly larger than the N6 coil in diameter and quite a bit thicker. If you wear your hair down, I dare say it would be invisible under your hair. It is very nice to not have that earhook. The top of my ear thanks me. It does come with a hairclip tether (you put the clip in your hair and it's attached to the Kanso via a bit of fishing-line-type stuff. I use a number 1 magnet (as I did with the N6 coil). It feels to me as if the magnet is slightly stronger in the Kanso than in the old coil

I like it.

I have a Kanso (free exchange from N6 due to recent surgery). It has the same internals as the N6. There *is* a button on it, so you can change programs without the remote. It does require disposable batteries. Mine last about 2 or 2.5 days - that will vary based on your program, skin thickness, etc. Size-wise, it's slightly larger than the N6 coil in diameter and quite a bit thicker. If you wear your hair down, I dare say it would be invisible under your hair. It is very nice to not have that earhook. The top of my ear thanks me. It does come with a hairclip tether (you put the clip in your hair and it's attached to the Kanso via a bit of fishing-line-type stuff. I use a number 1 magnet (as I did with the N6 coil). It feels to me as if the magnet is slightly stronger in the Kanso than in the old coil

I like it.

Are you able to use a phone or does the phone mic end up too far away from your mouth for anyone to hear you? I have issues with my work phone currently if I'm using my t-coil with my hearing aid people complain that they can't hear me, it's a little frustrating. I'd imagine with the Kanso or Rondo you would have similar issues. I'm leaning towards Cochlear right now which is why I'm curious, it's not a deal breaker just looking for realistic expectations.

Are you able to use a phone or does the phone mic end up too far away from your mouth for anyone to hear you? I have issues with my work phone currently if I'm using my t-coil with my hearing aid people complain that they can't hear me, it's a little frustrating. I'd imagine with the Kanso or Rondo you would have similar issues. I'm leaning towards Cochlear right now which is why I'm curious, it's not a deal breaker just looking for realistic expectations.
I pretty much always use the phone clip for phone conversations, so it's not an issue for me. Furthermore, the side on which I have the Kanso is the ear that's been deaf for 46 years (and only implanted for a few months), so it's not yet useful for phone conversations. I did a little test with my mobile phone, and the mic ends up just below my ear on that side. The landline phone is basically at the corner of my mouth, so that doesn't seem to be an issue. If you use mobile phone a lot, I'd strongly recommend the phone clip - the sound is clearer to boot.

If you go to the cochlear website it tells you ALL about it, It uses regular disposable batteries same as N6 ( there are no rechargeables for the Kanso) there are different strength magnets for the Kanso and its basically the exact same processor in a puck just slightly bigger that the coil of the N6.

http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/us/recipients/kanso

If you go to the cochlear website it tells you ALL about it, It uses regular disposable batteries same as N6 ( there are no rechargeables for the Kanso) there are different strength magnets for the Kanso and its basically the exact same processor in a puck just slightly bigger that the coil of the N6.

http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/us/recipients/kanso

This is true :)
Sometimes it's nice to hear from someone who actually uses it though - I was able to talk to someone who had it before I made the decision to exchange my N6 (recent surgery) for the Kanso

I'm about 4 weeks from surgery and still haven't made up my mind on the Kanso. What is holding me back is concerns with wearing hats. I'm thinking of getting it and an over the ear model for other ear.

I'm about 4 weeks from surgery and still haven't made up my mind on the Kanso. What is holding me back is concerns with wearing hats. I'm thinking of getting it and an over the ear model for other ear.
The ones I know who got the Kanso (same electronics as the N6) loves them, they wear hats and attach a safety line to the hat so they dont get knocked off by accident and nothing on their ears. I would probly like those myself but Im not elidgeble for an upgrade yet

Any comments about Kanso from parents of kids with Kanso ? My son, currently 7 years old, implanted when he was 6 months old with N5, now is eligible for upgrading and Iam debating between N6 and Kanso. Same technology, different size and shape. My son wears his hear short and I am conserned about how stable it will be with the clips. I tried the clip on his hear and he complained it pinches and puls off his hair. Also, as it is thicker, how it works with hockey and ski helmets? Do I have to get a size bigger or his current ones need to be adjusted? And last, any issues with swetting under it?

Looks a lot like Rondo from MedEl. It slips all the time, even with the strongest magnet. I'm wearing it with the string attached to my hair, and I cannot jump or make rapid movements.
So when I need to play sports, I'm wearing it with headband.

In my case I own 2 Sonnet(behind the ear processors), and 1 Rondo(looks like Kanso). So I was not tormented what to choose. If I had to choose - I'd go with Sonnet.
I know people are annoyed of ear hooks, but they sit better.

Last edited:
So I thought I check out anything new with Cochlear and I saw that they have a new device called Kanso.

I am intrigued in getting one but wasn't sure on how it felt. Here are my pros and cons so far.

Pros:

No coil = big + for me there. #1 reason why my C.I's keep breaking down.
No earhooks = Hated N5 and N6 for this reason.
Rubbing against ear.

Cons:
No buttons = have to rely on remote?
requires batteries? - not too bad but unlike HA - have to order it online.
Magnet strength?
looks a little bulky and odd - looks like a pebble to me but meh I wouldn't care so much as I normally wear my hair down - but if I get a custom skin for it then would be nice.

Not sure if it's available for upgrades but my N5 is due for an upgrade and so I wanted to hear from others on their experiences before I talk to my audiologist about it.
They do have buttons. is actually just a tad thicker than the coil but nearly the same size. Magnets come in all strengths, not bulky at all. Seen them and they are small, would actually be really easy to lose these in a busy area or places with a lot of ...well, tall grass, beach, woods...ect. use the teeter cable for sure.

So I went to the Cochlear Convention in Florida and we all got a chance to try out the Kanzo. Personally, I didn't like it. it felt kind of unbalanced and my ears felt odd without something on them. Kind of tingly and whatnot. I think that the Nucleus 6's are much more comfy.

If you have a surgeon who orders a backup as well ( 2 processors ) you can get an N6 and Kanso, then wear whichever you like best and keep the other for backup... Ive heard from a ton of people recently they love the Kanso better, I'm waiting for my upgrade to roll around.

So I went to the Cochlear Convention in Florida and we all got a chance to try out the Kanzo. Personally, I didn't like it. it felt kind of unbalanced and my ears felt odd without something on them. Kind of tingly and whatnot. I think that the Nucleus 6's are much more comfy.
everything feels "funny" until you get used to it, weither its a different processor or new shoes.

Back