Kanso - thoughts?

I have the med el rondo,it fits pretty good and doesnt fall off, unless i run my fingers through my hair,or stick my sun glasses on my head,stuff like that. I dont wear hats or anything so i dont have that problem,and i have long hair so it doesnt stick out or anything. I wear my hair in a ponytail and what not and never falls off. Yeah you have to get used to the feeling ( i wore bte for yrs so it was different,but me personally i love it!

I have the med el rondo,it fits pretty good and doesnt fall off, unless i run my fingers through my hair,or stick my sun glasses on my head,stuff like that. I dont wear hats or anything so i dont have that problem,and i have long hair so it doesnt stick out or anything. I wear my hair in a ponytail and what not and never falls off. Yeah you have to get used to the feeling ( i wore bte for yrs so it was different,but me personally i love it!
Ball caps tend to move my coils but my safari hat is fine... Been running Day Camp all week and the 100 degree sun is blazing out there !IMG_4519.JPG

Guess it sits a little higher up than a baseball cap huh? Oohh be careful out in that heat,real feel has been really high here 101-104 yuck!
No it actually sits over the coils too, but for some reason it doesn't knock them off? Yeah we were cooking out there. Making the kids drink water and dunk their cooling towels often. Had 2 kids get sick and leave and one rushed to the hospital due to Seizure Attacks ( he was prone to them ) back home recovering now.

No it actually sits over the coils too, but for some reason it doesn't knock them off? Yeah we were cooking out there. Making the kids drink water and dunk their cooling towels often. Had 2 kids get sick and leave and one rushed to the hospital due to Seizure Attacks ( he was prone to them ) back home recovering now.
Lol,yeah that is weird,but guess its a good thing!! Oh my hope they are all ok now? Yep i get out early in the morning or late afternoon to mow grass and what not,its aweful! Kids play so hard and dont think about the heat so you did well taking care of them like that!

Kanso will rock if it receives a Nucleus 7 upgrade which will mean smaller, longer battery life and direct iPhone streaming.

I had my CI surgery back in April 2017 and processor activated on May 2017. I have both the Kanso and N6. Initially my audiologist activated the Kanso and I wore that for a month due to Cochlear sending the incorrect N6 processor color.

Now my experience, was severe profound hearing loss, wore Resound Link hearing aid (have been wearing hearing aid since 5yrs old)...

It is AWESOME! Slightly thicker than the coil on the N6 in terms of size.

Pros:
- small and doesn't sit on my ear
- sound quality is exceptional and same as the N6
- there is a button you can use to change programs, volume and turning it off and on but remote is nice
- can get wet and is a tough piece of equipment - I have knocked it off several times and it's dropped from my head standing to concrete and asphalt with no issues

Cons:
- easy to knock off without thinking. Scratched my head and accidentally knocked it off. Magnet strength isn't as good as coil magnet on N6
- if you're an active person you may want to consider accessories such as hair clips and head bands
- phone usage... you'll definitely need the wireless phone clip. It's just awkward and hard to hold phone to it and talk
- battery life is about 2-2.5 days but easily switched out
- wearing hats is a bit tricky depending on exactly where your ENT implanted the implant. For me, I can't wear standard ball capshats it

All I all, it's a GREAT little machine. Does the job and is extremely discreet and powerful. I would highly recommend it but it's NOT for everyone. I would really talk with your audiologist and see if you can try it before you upgrade.

Good luck
Michael

N7 has been announced and is set for delivery in Sept/Oct 2017
Yup and it wont work with any accessories from the past models and is geared to work with the iPhones directly with no accessories to carry like the remotes , phone clip and mini mic. YEAH !!!!!!!!! Bad news is I hate BTE and unsure about the Kanso. There is talk of a totally implantable CI with no exterior processor again.

I had my CI surgery back in April 2017 and processor activated on May 2017. I have both the Kanso and N6. Initially my audiologist activated the Kanso and I wore that for a month due to Cochlear sending the incorrect N6 processor color.

Now my experience, was severe profound hearing loss, wore Resound Link hearing aid (have been wearing hearing aid since 5yrs old)...

It is AWESOME! Slightly thicker than the coil on the N6 in terms of size.

Pros:
- small and doesn't sit on my ear
- sound quality is exceptional and same as the N6
- there is a button you can use to change programs, volume and turning it off and on but remote is nice
- can get wet and is a tough piece of equipment - I have knocked it off several times and it's dropped from my head standing to concrete and asphalt with no issues

Cons:
- easy to knock off without thinking. Scratched my head and accidentally knocked it off. Magnet strength isn't as good as coil magnet on N6
- if you're an active person you may want to consider accessories such as hair clips and head bands
- phone usage... you'll definitely need the wireless phone clip. It's just awkward and hard to hold phone to it and talk
- battery life is about 2-2.5 days but easily switched out
- wearing hats is a bit tricky depending on exactly where your ENT implanted the implant. For me, I can't wear standard ball capshats it

All I all, it's a GREAT little machine. Does the job and is extremely discreet and powerful. I would highly recommend it but it's NOT for everyone. I would really talk with your audiologist and see if you can try it before you upgrade.

Good luck
Michael
Mike, just curious. Which one do you prefer?
Do you wear one (since you have one of each) for different occasions/reasons?
Thinking about doing the same thing later this year...

Mike, just curious. Which one do you prefer?
Do you wear one (since you have one of each) for different occasions/reasons?
Thinking about doing the same thing later this year...
I only have the N6, only seen the Kanso so I don't really know how the Kanso will feel but I would like to try it as I hate everything hanging on my ears. Even the N6 gets knocked off once in awhile so I am very curious at how well the Kanso will hold on being it is stand alone with no secondary support (unless you wear the safety lines clipped to your shirt or hair clip) But everyone I know who has the Kanso says it hold really well ( of course they are older folks, who am I to say older folks I'm 49...lol ) but what I mean is I am more active than most so compared to pushing their walkers and working on a car I'm curious. The new N7 is an upgraded N6 that doesn't need all the assessories as it will work with the iPhone in place of them through apps which is a plus in my books as I don't carry all that crap with me and been times I needed them to adjust settings besides not being a woman I don't carry a "Man Bag" lol But still the N7 hands on the ear and slightly smaller by not much.

The talks returned to Cochlear again working on the fully implantable processor....that's another story in itself and I would like that idea.

So I thought I check out anything new with Cochlear and I saw that they have a new device called Kanso.

I am intrigued in getting one but wasn't sure on how it felt. Here are my pros and cons so far.

Pros:

No coil = big + for me there. #1 reason why my C.I's keep breaking down.
No earhooks = Hated N5 and N6 for this reason.
Rubbing against ear.

Cons:
No buttons = have to rely on remote?
requires batteries? - not too bad but unlike HA - have to order it online.
Magnet strength?
looks a little bulky and odd - looks like a pebble to me but meh I wouldn't care so much as I normally wear my hair down - but if I get a custom skin for it then would be nice.

Not sure if it's available for upgrades but my N5 is due for an upgrade and so I wanted to hear from others on their experiences before I talk to my audiologist about it.
I have a N7 and a Kanso and love them both. I use Kanso one day and N7 the next as my ear gets sore from the N7 and the Kanso relieves it. The Kanso does require the phone clip for phone conversations as we'll as a remote assistant for use with streaming from the mini mic. I'm not too great at the phone yet as voices still sound like Mickey Mouse and are difficult to understand even though the sound is coming through. The remotes are small and easily carried in a pocket. With the N7 I only carry one and have an iPhone so I don't really need the remote. I use an app on the iPhone. With the Kanso I have to carry at least one remote and the phone clip.

OK, I am going to add something here for future readers.

I have been activated for just over 2 weeks. I have the N7 and the Kanso.
On the initial activation the audiologist told me to use the N7 only to get used to it.
She had to bump the power up quite a bit (because of my thick head :) ) and the computer stated that the Kanso may not work...
I went back after a week to check on my progress and she adjusted it again. We started to program the Kanso so I could start using that.
Low and behold the computer stated that most of the Kanso accessories would not work because of the power requirements. :(
After talking it over I made the decision to forgo the Kanso and turn it back in for another N7.
This decision saved some accessories. Did not need the Kanso remote & phone clip. so I got some other goodies... :)

My audiologist said that this happens about 1/3 of the time, so I really don't feel bad about it.
Just a thing...

OK, I am going to add something here for future readers.

I have been activated for just over 2 weeks. I have the N7 and the Kanso.
On the initial activation the audiologist told me to use the N7 only to get used to it.
She had to bump the power up quite a bit (because of my thick head :) ) and the computer stated that the Kanso may not work...
I went back after a week to check on my progress and she adjusted it again. We started to program the Kanso so I could start using that.
Low and behold the computer stated that most of the Kanso accessories would not work because of the power requirements. :(
After talking it over I made the decision to forgo the Kanso and turn it back in for another N7.
This decision saved some accessories. Did not need the Kanso remote & phone clip. so I got some other goodies... :)

My audiologist said that this happens about 1/3 of the time, so I really don't feel bad about it.
Just a thing...
Yes, Your skin flap thickness can play a factor in power consumption. The Kanso are light and off the ear but again you have to have a purse, manbag or fanny pack to carry all the crap with you. I have N6 and can hear fin on the phone and all so I sold most of my accessories, Id like to upgrade to the N7 as I have an iPhone but when I'm eligible in 2020 there will probly be 2 or 3 new Cochlear processors out by then , better and more powerful? So, until then just keeping up with the breakthrough. This is my 3 year anniversary and so far it has been an awesome experience. A couple people I have met here in the past are now Bi-Laterally implanted and love it.

I have N6 and can hear fin on the phone and all so I sold most of my accessories, Id like to upgrade to the N7 as I have an iPhone

I am still learning to use this CI (Newbie). But TODAY I realized that I can hear better holding the cell phone up to my ear, rather than use the iPhone app. Tomorrow this may change. Everyone still sounds like they are in witness protection.. :)

I am still learning to use this CI (Newbie). But TODAY I realized that I can hear better holding the cell phone up to my ear, rather than use the iPhone app. Tomorrow this may change. Everyone still sounds like they are in witness protection.. :)
exactly, so phone clip was a useless $$$$ spent, so I sold it along with Tv Streamer and other crap I didn't need. I heard from a birdie, Cochlear has something awesome in the making better than anything before, so hopefully the next couple are extremely advanced. A trusted source said that the implants are not maxed out as most people think, the implant with todays N7 is only using about 20% of the electrodes full capacity so there is tons of room for cochlear processor upgrades and advancements .

Back