Just saying hello

Terence Bates

Reaction score
I'm a new chap around here and thought I'd do an intro. I'm in my 70's now and I've been hard of hearing for most of my life, having lost the hearing in my right ear when I was three due to TB. However, I've led a full and interesting life, having worked in the manufacturing industry as an engineer and moved into training and consultancy which enabled me to travel to many parts of Europe and a few parts of Africa and Asia.

In my leisure time, I've been an auxiliary fireman (I drove the green godesses), refereed football, umpired hockey and taught ballroom dancing! When people talk about deafness being a handicap I say "It wasn't for me!" but maybe I was fortunate in having partial hearing.

The hearing in my left ear deteriorates with age and my hearing aid needs adjusting from time to time. I find listening to people in large gatherings rather tricky these days and my lip reading skills are pushed to the limit.

If anyone would like to hear more about my exploits in training around the world, or any other facet of my life with regards to deafness, then I'd be pleased to expand. My hearing may have receeded but my memory's fine!

Back