Just reaching out

lovlee

Reaction score
Hi i just need I am a partner to a deaf/ hard of hearing person, I struggle some days with the loudness of mine and daz's life and his and gets depression over the whole situation he wasn't born deaf he has gradually gotten deaf over the past 8yrs and is now been told he is totally deaf @43yrs old , he wears hearing aids and they help a little bit , he is a mechanic by trade and he is great at his job BUT the hearing is now letting him down and he is struggling to get a good job he loves being a mecho .all of the mechanical industry in Australia, when applying for these position they send you for a medical and as soon as they do the hearing test BAM not for you sorry its so depressing he is trying to step out of the trade but its all he knows .
im sorry for spilling to the forum but im new at this and i dont have anyone to talk to i cant find any organizations to help me

Welcome :) Has he looked into getting a cochlear implant? Just an idea, it seems to help a lot of people who go deaf later in life.

lovelee-
I have been told it is relatively easy to get cochlear implant in Australia. Still, I cannot see how being deaf would be a big problem for a mechanic. Is there any disability rights organization you 2 could consult. It is natural and logical you both would be depressed about this, so you need someone in your corner. I hope we can help.

My own hearing loss is a lot like that of your partner.

Back