Just Joined

Walks With Nature

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is David. I have been lurking here for awhile and thought it was time to sign up. I starting having hearing problems in my later teen years,
I am now 65.I have profound bilateral sensorineural hearing loss,
I also have tinnitus, which I have had for quite some time. My last audiogram showed that I have a 120db hearing loss and 0% Speech recognition.
I stopped wearing my hearing aids about two years ago. They didn't help any more. I have read alot of the post here and found alot of answers to
questions that I had. I am hoping to learn ASL just for my own benefit. There is no around my area that teaches it so I will have to learn on my own.
I am still researching the best sites to learn. It looks like Lifeprint and StartASL are the ones talked about the most, so I will be looking into those. Any other information would be helpful.
Again, this forum has really helped me come to terms with my hearing loss.
David

Greetings from old analog, same, loss started late 20's 55 bad geen turned on, years later, finely, got my condition under control, losing 5-10 db/ year, now at 55-60, most concenents gone, doing pretty good filling in the blanks with lip reading, did the start ASL, many YouTub videos, good start but can remember better when in person, you live where, rual city, what region, many city and regional helps rual not so much, when I was rual my best resource was local librarian through her found another deaf, post where your at to get local or regional help ;)

Thanks for the welcome. I had computer problems, so I haven't been on line.
I live in the country, so no deaf community around and no one teaches ASL in my area. I have heard about Lifeprint and StartASL. They seem to be the most talked about that I have seen so far.

If your loss is SN I don't think CI work, my loss SN , yah tinnitus sucks lived with it all life didn't know it was a problem, was normal to me :! If you had any sound background noise would help but without any sound, hate to say looks bleak short of brain surgery to kill the resepter cells then who knows what the brain might switch to, most time my tinnitus just anoieing, but last couple years I've been getting sharp pain like a needle in ear thankfully it don't happen often if it did I'd consider the surgery

Back