Just got Purple IP relay and I have stupid questions

ambrosia

Premium Member
Reaction score
I need to make some phone calls, and I'm going to admit I'm a bit nervous about trying this. But I was checking it out last night and in the settings you can set a greeting? How does that work? Because you type in the text, does the operator say your greeting or something? Is it a computerized voice? What the heck should I be saying there, warning them that there will be a delay?

Also voice mail, I can leave a message for if I don't pick up, but if they leave a message with my relay phone number will I be able to check it and it will be printed out for me?

I need to make some phone calls, and I'm going to admit I'm a bit nervous about trying this. But I was checking it out last night and in the settings you can set a greeting? How does that work? Because you type in the text, does the operator say your greeting or something? Is it a computerized voice? What the heck should I be saying there, warning them that there will be a delay?

Also voice mail, I can leave a message for if I don't pick up, but if they leave a message with my relay phone number will I be able to check it and it will be printed out for me?

The greeting goes like this...

The VI will relay the first part of your greeting which is TYPED in your settings. THEN it goes to the second part of your greeting which is signed... AND YEAH THERE ARE DELAYS!!!!! CONFUSING DELAYS!!

For my business... this is ultimately confusing so I have switched to ZVRS as they have taken on a new task for me regarding answering machines. ZVRS does NOT offer a personalized greeting for the public yet but I would DEFINITELY keep my eyes peeled for changes soon.

It's not working anyway. They are driving me crazy. When I try to make a call they still tell me I need to register to get a phone number from the FCC, even though they've given me 2. I think that's because I switched phones, I had a droid and now I have an iphone, so I have number with purple IPrelay and one with i711?? I imagine that one is for the iphone....but it's the same stinking app, but it's 2 different websites with two different passwords to log in.....I am so confused.

It's not working anyway. They are driving me crazy. When I try to make a call they still tell me I need to register to get a phone number from the FCC, even though they've given me 2. I think that's because I switched phones, I had a droid and now I have an iphone, so I have number with purple IPrelay and one with i711?? I imagine that one is for the iphone....but it's the same stinking app, but it's 2 different websites with two different passwords to log in.....I am so confused.

Are you logging in with your purple account and using the purple number to have others call you? your cell phone number is NOT the relay number to call. Since you have a purple account - its the same number you use on pc/apple/tablet/phone. when you log in with the same account.

With Z - its all seperate but you can connect them to flash from primary number.

Are you logging in with your purple account and using the purple number to have others call you? your cell phone number is NOT the relay number to call. Since you have a purple account - its the same number you use on pc/apple/tablet/phone. when you log in with the same account.

With Z - its all seperate but you can connect them to flash from primary number.

Yes I know, I'm actually trying to make a phone call but it won't let me, it tells me I need to register with the FCC to get a phone number, butI've already done that and activated the number. I actually tried it on my comp and called my sister, that worked, I couldn't talk though, I typed and the operator said what I would say, and then they would type what y sister said. I just don't understand why it won't let me do it from my phone. I've emailed customer support they still haven't gotten back to me yet.

you mean you trying to type from your phone with app or aim?
hmm I dont see why not though.

I wonder if you have limited data usage on your phone or something?

you mean you trying to type from your phone with app or aim?
hmm I dont see why not though.

I wonder if you have limited data usage on your phone or something?

Yeah I'm using the dialer keypad to try to call my sis. I wanted to try it out with her before I made an important call, like a trail run, but then it will want me to register (which I've already done) and it sends me to the website to log on, so I do that and then I get a message some error, now I can't remember what it says and to contact customer support.....who btw never emails me back!

Oh and I have 4g's data to share between 3 phones, but I barely touch the data, what with not streaming music or video being deaf and all and I told my kids not to either, one has a tablet and the other an ipod they can use those for that. I need the text relay service not video, I don't even know ASL anyway so it wouldn't help lol. I'd be just as lost as trying to listen to someone.

Should I assume the Sprint one is only for Sprint? :D SO I should try the other one?? I have Verizon could I still use the Sprint? oh wait I think it will only work with Android anyway, the other one has an app for iphones!

ambrosia
Since you talk you might prefer one of these instead.

Wireless CapTel by Sprint | Sprint CapTel

Hamilton CapTel: Smartphone

Look them up with your computer before trying either or both for your phone.

Should I assume the Sprint one is only for Sprint? :D SO I should try the other one?? I have Verizon could I still use the Sprint?

Using Verizon does not keep you from using the Sprint app.

Look at both, preferably on your computer because of the bigger screen, and then feel free to ask questions. They explain things pretty well; but if I tried to think of what you might still want to know I would probably not think the same way you do!

oh jeez since I haven't bought any captel phones I have to get professional certification to use the service. They have forms you can download for an audiologist to fill out and sign. Well, I made an appointment for the 1st anyway to get my hearing tested again because I think I have lost more anyway.

Nothing is every easy is it?

oh jeez since I haven't bought any captel phones I have to get professional certification to use the service. They have forms you can download for an audiologist to fill out and sign. Well, I made an appointment for the 1st anyway to get my hearing tested again because I think I have lost more anyway.

Nothing is every easy is it?

Where did you find something about professional certification! I think you are reading about the landline phone rather than the section about an app you download for your smartphone.

Where did you find something about professional certification! I think you are reading about the landline phone rather than the section about an app you download for your smartphone.

Maybe but when you're in the smartphone section is has a button to click " register now", its part of the registration process, figured it was part of getting a Call Me #. No ?? It was at the bottom of the page where you set up your user name and password, I couldn't finish setting up.

Maybe but when you're in the smartphone section is has a button to click " register now", its part of the registration process, figured it was part of getting a Call Me #. No ?? It was at the bottom of the page where you set up your user name and password, I couldn't finish setting up.

I don't remember having to have professional certification. Do you have a way to make a call for their customer service? Use 855-871-8429. Or email to [FONT=&quot]wcshelp@sprint.com.
[/FONT]I have found Sprint to be responsive to my questions.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Just talked to Sprint customer service. The thought is that going to sprint800.com and then click on wireless captel by sprint and then watch the video will help you understand. Neither of us can figure out where you are getting anything about needing professional certification.

Thanks!!! these purple peeps are killing me!!

It took Purple over 2 weeks to reply to my email. You need to call Customer Care instead.

CapTel is a VERY real option for you and you might like it better but just an FYI... there is a longer of a lag than using VRS in between messages. It's only a second or two but it can become frustrating for your customers.

Just did some more looking. I have been assuming that you started with the Sprint one and have been answering with that in mind.

Now I looked at Hamilton's site after not really following it closely for quite some time and find they make reference to a "call me #" (call me followed by the pound sign) which Sprint makes no mention of stated that way (call me #).

So. . . just where did you come across the need for "professional certification"?

Im not sure exact what you are trying to do. I am not 100% clear on what you mean. Yes, it can be confused and I WAS confused with mobile, but got it.

Question, did you try port the number during registration?

If YES, it can take up to two weeks if I recall right
If no, then usually when you register and they (Relay provider offered or assigns you a number for you to use and you can use it right away.

I believe if it is IP relay (Text based), then you need call Customer service to prove your Deaf. It is not that hard, just call though video which will be easier to prove you use signs and have reason need of relay.

There are different kinds of relay services available and I am STILL not sure what you are trying to do?

Video relay call with or without VCO
Text based Relay call with or without VCO
Caption call or similiar type of relay

Which one of above 5 different kinds are you trying to use?

Back