Just got a letter today from......

Looks to me like it is from a division of a hospital? Not any one manufacturing company. Doubt that the hospital needs to advertise their existance. Looks more to me like a follow up letter to someone that was inquiring and a reminder that they may want to look again and see if there has been any improvments.
Rampratt

I just wonder if 200,000 AROUND the world is accurate?

or is it their brand name they are talking about.

Based on the letter it doesn't appear that it would be free. Looks more like a solicitation letter to me.

It's normal for businesses to want to increase their customer base.

That particular letter seemed pretty low-key, no pressure, to me.

After all, it's a follow up to a visit that you originally initiated, right?

I totally agree. It seems very low-key and we all know that business is business. CIs companies will want to make a profit. It is the audiologists and doctors who are the ones who make biased judgements against ASL not the CI companies.

I don't know the entire story but there is another possible reason this might have happened. When you went in in 2005 what did they tell you (If anything). I'm asking because if they at the time said or felt the CI wouldn't be right for you. Many advances have been made since then so I just wonder if they decided to say, "Hey, the technology has advanced and it might work for you now".

I'm only suggesting another reason it might have happened the way it did.

Ron Jaxon

Wow I consider myself lucky then because my audiologist let me make the choice to have 2nd CI and there was no pressure at all. She made sure I have the interpreter in case if there is anything I couldn't understand. She does use sign language also and she is a very nice lady. I haven't met an audiologist that doesn't know ASL.

I totally agree. It seems very low-key and we all know that business is business. CIs companies will want to make a profit. It is the audiologists and doctors who are the ones who make biased judgements against ASL not the CI companies.

I haven't met an audiologist that doesn't know ASL. <----- really? I found that the opposite. I haven't met an audiologist that does know it. I asked them out of curiousity, and they said they don't know ASL. I guess time have change.

I haven't met an audiologist that doesn't know ASL. <----- really? I found that the opposite. I haven't met an audiologist that does know it. I asked them out of curiousity, and they said they don't know ASL. I guess time have change.
i have the same experience as lighthouse

Same here. The only audiologist i know who know ASL is a CODA; no one else I met in the audiology field knows ASL.

I'm in australia .. that letter sounds dodgy. it doesnt address your name thou. i;ve checked out the website and it looked like its just setted it up and updated recently. Also website looks unprofessional and poor design.
All i know you get letters from audiologist first then it will process thru to your surgeon and hospital confirmation for op booking date. thats it.

when was your last audiologist test?, has she /he say youre qualified for CI?

if not then its all spam. Or ring up the number on the letter and ask how do they have your information from etc etc. they might be fraud etc.

im sure its against the law here to hand out things like that without approvel from your dr or surgeon or you audiologist.

i'd take that letter to your audiologist and show it to him/her and see what they say about that. they may report to fair trading or something higher.
regards

I don't know the entire story but there is another possible reason this might have happened. When you went in in 2005 what did they tell you (If anything). I'm asking because if they at the time said or felt the CI wouldn't be right for you. Many advances have been made since then so I just wonder if they decided to say, "Hey, the technology has advanced and it might work for you now".

I'm only suggesting another reason it might have happened the way it did.

Ron Jaxon

Actually, in 2005, they said I was eligible for CI and if I want it then they'll give it to me. I decided not to go for it back then. I wouldn't want it unless they have a hybrid model that works better.

I'm in australia .. that letter sounds dodgy. it doesnt address your name thou. i;ve checked out the website and it looked like its just setted it up and updated recently. Also website looks unprofessional and poor design.
All i know you get letters from audiologist first then it will process thru to your surgeon and hospital confirmation for op booking date. thats it.

when was your last audiologist test?, has she /he say youre qualified for CI?

if not then its all spam. Or ring up the number on the letter and ask how do they have your information from etc etc. they might be fraud etc.

im sure its against the law here to hand out things like that without approvel from your dr or surgeon or you audiologist.

i'd take that letter to your audiologist and show it to him/her and see what they say about that. they may report to fair trading or something higher.
regards

The letter did address me by my name but I edited it before I posted it here. I believe my last audi test was last year and they didn't push CI on me. I've been told by Audi and CI doctors that I qualify for a CI if I like to get one.

Haven't thought about taking it to the audiologist and show them the letter. I'll think about it. Thanks for your suggestion

Back