just found out my 5month old is deaf

happyfrog

Reaction score
I just found this forum thru a google search.

Hope it's ok if I lurk here and learn from ya'll.

My 5 month old (will be 6 months old on the 16th) is severe to profoundly deaf. I and my family plan to learn ASL and make that our primary language at home so that he will learn his language and become bilingual with both ASL and English (not sure of all the right terminology). I also want to learn as much as I can about the deaf culture and want to find out where to meet up with other deaf people (in regular meetings, etc) so that I and my family can become more proficient in the use of sign and also so that my son will have exposure to his culture.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

It's hard for me to have online time as I have 2 young children. I will try to be online as often as possible, though. :)

Sincerely,
BettyAnn
Mommy to the two cutest, most adorable mud monsters ever!
http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com

hey welcome to alldeaf

i am deaf
i was raised in sign language it was best!!!!
believe me

Welcome to AD! My daughter is 5 mos old too. But I'm deaf and my kids are hearing. Thats biggest change in ur life with ur deaf kid. I'm sure u learn alots things. My parents been took it so hard when they found out i was deaf. They learned in jorney, its take things easy and flow. Most counts on to have happy kids, i'm sure u want that too. I hope u learn or look from us this forum. :)

Learn ASL... meet deaf people .at club...at sign langauge classes...etc.. No See sign langauge.. it is important to learn ASL and PSE...

Welcome to AD...
SxyPorkie

:welcome: to this forum and enjoy your stay here.

By the way, your children are really cute! :)

Welcome! It's nice to see a parent so open to something like this!!!!! :)

That's Wonderful News ! I'm sure that
you already knew it's our Good Lord's plans
for you and your family He chose you to
be the parents of a deaf child.

Welcome Aboard !

Welcome to ad. So please learn ur child' asl language will pleased ur life with. Cuz my life with my hearing parent was very difficult not to learn my language and caused my life lost in a touch with. So please accept ur child's language is most important to communicate. Wish u the best.

Welcome to AD!! Hope u will enjoy the stay with us! Good Luck with finding what you are looking for right here in AD forum! :)

Welcome. I'm a Hearie with a Deaf toddler. I also have a bf in Ohio who is HOH. You can learn a lot here. Beware sometimes ppl have hot debates over certain issues, but most ppl here are very nice and will welcome you.

G'day happyfrog,
Welcome to AD. Hope you'll enjoy your visit. Glad your baby will learn ASL as well the family.
Cheers :wave:

Hi BettyAnn!
Wow....it's fairly unusual for hearing parents to decide on ASL as the primary language! Usually DODAs (deaf of deaf adults) chose ASL only....Although I do know of two young women in my area who are Sign monolingal, and are from hearing families Just curious, are you gonna supplement that with speech and hearing aids or CI?
Saw also that your two year old is using Sign as a primary language. Are you guys near a good Deaf school or Deaf mainstream program? Definitly contact your state's NAD and your state's School for the Deaf . Also google the American Society for Deaf Children. That's THE organization for dhh kids who Sign or TC or are bilingal.

welcome to AD from Ireland!! I have 3 daughters who are Deaf. One age 9, 3 and 18 months old. They are all wearing hearing aids. They all have Irish sign language and oral too. We as a parents are Deaf too. So it make it easy for us. For parents who are hearing and having Deaf child it harder but they learn as they go along and it will get easier. Cheers :cheers:

Welcome. I also have a 5 month old who is deaf. You can learn a lot from this site and you will meet a lot of nice people.

Here experiences will find your need and welcome to alldeaf and enjoy your stay with us!

That's great that you're taking the opportunity to learn ASL for your kid. :)

Welcome to AllDeaf! Enjoy your stay! :thumb:

Back