Just Another 'Terp Student

facadepapergirl

Reaction score
Hello! I'm between jobs AND schools, but when I'm not, I'm an ASL interpreter student. Just because I'm not in school, however, doesn't mean that I want to stop learning. After all, if you don't use it, you lose it, and I want to ace ASL 2 (yes, I only managed to get a single semester in). That's not why I'm here, though. I'm here because I really want to know more about Deaf people and Deaf culture, ASL, and hopefully make some Deaf, HoH, interpreter or student interpreter friends.

A common question that I was asked in school was 'Why? What made you want to become an interpreter?' And I think that the answer is a bit embarrassing. I don't have family that is Deaf, I'm not hard of hearing (though my hearing is bad, it doesn't qualify as HoH. Learning to sign with my friends does help, though!), I don't have Deaf friends or any of that. I watched an episode of Switched at Birth, and I immediately thought that it was the coolest thing ever.

You have to understand, though: I love language. I love the little nitty bitty bits that make it language, and studying language. I want to be a linguist. But it is not only that. I am in love with other cultures. I love learning about people. I love the culture that a language is connected to, and I want to learn languages in order to communicate with its speakers. So, when I fell in love with Switched at Birth, when I thought that it was cool, it was because it opened a door to a whole new culture and lifestyle, right at my back door. And I never get bored of it. Every time I communicate through sign (not often. Even in school in Austin, I was too scared to talk to Deaf students, and I was unable to go to where i would actually meet some) or watch a movie in ASL, I feel a slight thrill. Admittedly, I feel mostly the same way about most languages, but for some reason, I'm more passionate about ASL than, say Japanese, even though I love Japanese culture (and, of course, anime. But not just anime).

Anyways, I've been rambling/essay writing, and I apologise. So, hello, and it's nice to meet you all!

Just another terp student... :laugh2: At least this one gets it and posts it out there. :D

:welcome: :wave:

I don't know about you, but that is something you have to learn about us while you are here.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. See you around here. :wave:

Thank you all.

I don't know about you, but that is something you have to learn about us while you are here.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. See you around here. :wave:
Bebonang, I don't understand what you mean. I feel that you're answering a question, but I don't know what it is, so I'm confused.

Thank you all.

Bebonang, I don't understand what you mean. I feel that you're answering a question, but I don't know what it is, so I'm confused.

If bebonang can correct me. We don't know you but we know you are here and learn each of us and learn from you at the same time.

So welcome

:)

Back