Joined the Gym

sonocativo

Reaction score
Well, I joined the gym tonight with a buddy who has already been going there a few years. Im not new to the gym as I was a personal trainer at one before Golds Gym took over. Anyways this club has a special going til the end of the month $10 a month, so I figured why not, I miss the gym and need to get back into shape. So since tomorrow is gonna be in the 20's and probly too cold to cut trees, figured Ill go to the gym and get some fitness in before I have surgery again wednesday.

I work out 5 days a week and it really does make a difference as to how you feel.

Good to see you are getting back into it.

Wirelessly posted

Awesome! You are on your way to a healthier you and I hope your surgery goes well.

Ive changed my diet again, earlier this year I was pushing around 260 and Im only 5'8" tall, over the summer I dropped to 188 and felt great but had gallbladder surgery and since august I jumped back to 198....
So for the past week I have been eating a ton of broccoli and other veggies but I need to get off the soda ( Im a diehard Pepsi drinker, better than being an alcholic I guess ) but I never liked alchol anyways, cant even spell it...lol...
I still have the bodybuilder shape just too much body fat, but I am a quick loser of body fat and pump up really fast when I work out, my old workout partners named me Blowfish because I lift heavy and look twice my size almost instantly, and I feel like I cant hardly move, all ballooned up,,,,lol
Anyways, hope to get some before/after pictures just so I can document my progress.
Great2013, that is true... I thought going for awhile and let my cash build up then hit the house hard and heavy at once, since being at the gym I will be concentrating on me and not all the problems. So now I got my MP3 and gym clothes ready to bust hump. My buddy asked me tonight if I was gonna go all Arnold on him, lol, I said we will go all out but light on weights, i know Im gonna get sore since I havent done anything in years, but I do love lifting and I am very stubborn and hard headed, Feel the pain, the burn, then numb.... oh, not gonna be good the next day...lol
Actually, I need to take measurements tonight so I can compare in a week or so.

My advice is: Get the Body for Life Cookbook, but stay away from the shakes(they work, but are expensive and you don't know what is in them). Also, pick up a steamer for vegetables and a George Forman Grill for Salmon. I also have a Zojirushi rice cooker for making gaba brown rice.

You should be able to lose 30lbs each three months, but it might even come off quicker in the beginning.

My advice is: Get the Body for Life Cookbook, but stay away from the shakes(they work, but are expensive and you don't know what is in them). Also, pick up a steamer for vegetables and a George Forman Grill for Salmon. I also have a Zojirushi rice cooker for making gaba brown rice.

You should be able to lose 30lbs each three months, but it might even come off quicker in the beginning.

My wife was a Pampered Chef consultant, so we have a ton of cookware, I steam all my veggies (broccoli, peppers, onions) but I eat carrots/celery raw as well as some broccoli. I have the store to lemon pepper and broil the salmon there, its free.
My main issue is cutting out the pepsi, I hate water, I will drink it but pepsi- water intake is 100/1 ....lol
I dont drink milk, it makes me sick so, pepsi it is, although I do drink it alot, I still dropped 40 pounds before just cutting back on it and filling up with more veggies, chicken and fish.
I trained as a personal trainer and still have my books somewhere on the foods to eat for calories/protien...ect...

My buddy and I worked out for 2-1/2 hours today, he likes the threadmill, I dont but I did it just to talk and get the cardio going, He hasnt really done anything but that since he is out of shape, but I did show him the ropes and I was amazed and how much upper body strength I have retained, but due to my injuries I dont realize my actual strength.

3 sets of 30 reps rowing @ 80#
3 sets of 30 reps tri pulldowns @ 120#
3 sets of 40 reps Lat pulls @ 175#
3 sets of 20 reps inclined and flat bench press @ 150#
3 sets of 20 reps shoulder press @ 150#
60 set ups on the machines @ 40#
80 back extensions @ 20#

My back and stomach are weak, my legs were actually shaking so I never got to the leg sled, but we plan to hit the gym tuesday night before I have surgery wednesday, I feel everything I did today and it actually felt great being back in the gym. Found out today they are building a club closer to me so when they get it opened I will transfer so we dont have to drive so far, right now it is 30 minutes out, where the new gym will be 15 minutes or less travel time.

Dude, you have to think of your target, what do you want to do? Do you want to be bulked and jacked or just back down to normal weight?

As for the milk, use fat free half and half in your coffee, you need calcium so you don't neglect your bones.

As for the exercise, if you can do it fine, but don't spend every waking minute in the gym if you don't need to. I do an hour in the gym, but I'm also active as I'll walk to the library, etc. Once you get down to weight, you don't have to concentrate so much on it.

Sounds like you have all the tools...

Either way, you'll be taking major pressure off your body once the weight drops.

Dude, you have to think of your target, what do you want to do? Do you want to be bulked and jacked or just back down to normal weight?

As for the milk, use fat free half and half in your coffee, you need calcium so you don't neglect your bones.

As for the exercise, if you can do it fine, but don't spend every waking minute in the gym if you don't need to. I do an hour in the gym, but I'm also active as I'll walk to the library, etc. Once you get down to weight, you don't have to concentrate so much on it.

Sounds like you have all the tools...

Either way, you'll be taking major pressure off your body once the weight drops.

I am wanting to get down to 175-180 ( lose bodyfat ) and gain my muscle mass back, I would love to get my size back from when I was heavily into the gym when I worked there, but at my age now 44, Id be happy just getting down to 175 and toned ( always dreamed to be a body builder, had thetraining but not the mass since my metabolism was so high back then) Now I got the mass but need the training to shape it. I had people off and on over time ask me if I was a body builder at one time, they said they could tell by the shape of my back since it has the definate "V" shape, the traps and the cannonball shoulders, which really needs to be defined again from years of neglect, but a few weeks in the gym will remedy that, but will take a good few months or so to get rid of the spare tire, gut and whatever other hidden fat I have...lol

Target, yeah, I was just messing around with all the new equipment to see how it feels ( new machines Ive never seen before ) I usually do free weights but because of my injuries I am not so confident with the free weights and look at the machines to be a safer alternative until I know my limits, I did have some discomfort with my rotator cuff for some reason in my left shoulder, hopefully thats not gonna turn into another surgery... just my luck.

I am wanting to get down to 175-180 ( lose bodyfat ) and gain my muscle mass back, I would love to get my size back from when I was heavily into the gym when I worked there, but at my age now 44, Id be happy just getting down to 175 and toned ( always dreamed to be a body builder, had thetraining but not the mass since my metabolism was so high back then) Now I got the mass but need the training to shape it. I had people off and on over time ask me if I was a body builder at one time, they said they could tell by the shape of my back since it has the definate "V" shape, the traps and the cannonball shoulders, which really needs to be defined again from years of neglect, but a few weeks in the gym will remedy that, but will take a good few months or so to get rid of the spare tire, gut and whatever other hidden fat I have...lol

With supplements, never mind steroids, you can do that. Designer supplements are just completely different today. You can easily get a 44 year old body to that point. I took muscle milk at 45 and gained 15 lbs.

However, I honestly don't trust what they put in those things anymore. Seriously, it's a huge difference today.

As far as the new gym, the real work is in PT training and even things like PX90 or Insanity, it's down to a science. I did Body for Life twice and that's old news today.

Look up chang on youtube for good workouts. He has some killer sets, especially the chest workouts and shoulder. I got the bowling ball shoulders so can attest to its
effectiveness. Lots of fresh ideas from youtube for when you switch up every 6 weeks.
Youtube keeps things fresh if you work chest, back, shoulders legs and biceps and triceps on seperate days. I had to change gyms since I out grew the old one

Look up chang on youtube for good workouts. He has some killer sets, especially the chest workouts and shoulder. I got the bowling ball shoulders so can attest to its
effectiveness. Lots of fresh ideas from youtube for when you switch up every 6 weeks.
Youtube keeps things fresh if you work chest, back, shoulders legs and biceps and triceps on seperate days. I had to change gyms since I out grew the old one

Ive never done roids, but knew people who did... just cheating their way up. I only take vitamins and amino acids, Creatine never seemed to do anything for me so its just a waste of money.
Realacore and Hydroxycut fat burner worked for me, I tried ThermoBurn and it made me all jiggy so it seems too strong or something. I used to take all the stackers and stuff when I was at the gym, since everyone was trying products to give feedback to the companies, I never really cared much for them, but the ones that seemed to work, my buddies and I would pitch in to buy in bulk and split them since they are so expensive.
There are some I want from GNC but so ungodly expensive into the $100 range for a small bottle, but is guaranteed to produce results.
Mega Men Vitamins are great but they are strong, I take what I need to replenish the used vitamin/minerals for the muscles.
#1 thing is to workout on an empty stomach as I did today, so you burn and use the the fat storage before burning food you ate instead. Chitosan is an awesome suppliment I am out of and costs about $35 at GNC works great.

I am eating a poptart while reading this thread. Bad, bad!!

I am eating a poptart while reading this thread. Bad, bad!!

Well, at least its a "low cal" snack huh...lmao
I just couldnt resist, but I just cooked 3 pounds of sirloin today to make Fajitas and ended up finnishing it all off tonight, including the 6 green peppers and 2 large onions that were in it. Yum Yum. but not so bad...lol

You guys are doing just fine. Sonocativo: these reps and weights that you are doing is good but rowing.. you have bad back? You have stable upper body muscles.. how about your back besides the lats? How about your legs? It is good idea to do compound training for someone who chops down trees every day if that is what you do.

For shakes: I rather make them myself. If you guys dont trust ready-make shakes, then dont. It is expensive to get the stuff to make shakes but cheap in the long run. I love to make myself high protein shakes with some fiber added.

Best to avoid is processed food, and stuff that runs high carb with high calories/fat... always low-high on end not both. Know what I am saying?

joining gym myself as i given up smoking..my friend so intent she ripping muscles wants do body building.i just want be normal back to size ten...sono why not do swimming

Well, at least its a "low cal" snack huh...lmao
I just couldnt resist, but I just cooked 3 pounds of sirloin today to make Fajitas and ended up finnishing it all off tonight, including the 6 green peppers and 2 large onions that were in it. Yum Yum. but not so bad...lol

Yea, you forgot about the frosting... :wave:

P.S. Top round steak has less fat and it's what I eat.

You guys are doing just fine. Sonocativo: these reps and weights that you are doing is good but rowing.. you have bad back?

That is a very good point. He's going to need to carefully work his core. In fact, I wouldn't start off with the other sets until you take care of it.

That is a very good point. He's going to need to carefully work his core. In fact, I wouldn't start off with the other sets until you take care of it.

My neck is fused at the c3-c4 and the c6-c7 level ( pretty much at the base of the skull and another just a few vertibreas down )
Then I have 5 vertibreas in my mid to lower back that are screwed up but dont need medical attention yet, but the lower one I guess its at my pelvis because thats where the pain is, thats the one that really bothers me.
There were a few exercises I started to do ( dont remember which machine it was ) but before I started I would do one slow pull first to see if the weight was ok and if anything hurt, there were a couple that did hurt so I didnt do those and moved on. I didnt try the squats yet, and I think it may be hard on me only because I think the weights resting on the back of my neck will create too much pressure where I have plates and screws, I may have to use dumbells and do lunges?

Today Im not sore like I thought I would be, a little aches in my shoulders/pecs, and thats it. The only thing that really bothered me yesterday was the threadmill... as I walked I kept getting a cramp where my gallbladder was, I was never big on the cardio stuff anyways, but we did (2) 20 minute sessons ( before and after ) just so we were working alongside eachother, but me, Id rather just stay on the weights.
Maybe if I get built back up, get off disability and into the work force again, dont know if Ill ever get rid of the pains ( and most employers wont let you take pain meds on the job as mine didnt and just made matters worst )
No I dont cut trees for a living or anything, just having friends help cut the overgrowth on my property that was never really maintained, too many close to the house, leaves clog gutters and danger of storms blowing the monsters over onto the house. I am basically pointing out the stuff to cut down and might help run a saw through smaller stuff thats down, Hiring a pro for the monsters since they are over powerlines and the house.

Back