It Happen again! Mother left kids hot car to get hair cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you leave the A/C on with engine off, it will drain the battery very fast. If you leave the A/C on with engine running, it will use up a lot of gas anyway.

With Mazda car, you can't use AC without running engine.

Use a lot of gas? Not really, it will take many, many, many hours for gas to hit E after idling.

Good point. It is the babies and pets who are trapped.

It is ridiculously moron to left baby in car because they cannot get out on their own.

I really would like to know how others feel about the change to putting kids in the back seat and leaving them in the car by accident relate to each other.
That may be a factor for some of the accidental leavings.

However, as noted in this thread, many of these incidents are not accidents at all. These children (and sometimes elderly and disabled adults) are intentionally left in cars while the drivers run errands or take care of personal stuff (tanning, haircuts, drug deals, getting a drink, etc.).

Even with the kids sitting in the back, it's very easy to establish a routine that would overcome that "forgetting." The simplest is to put whatever the driver needs (purse, backpack, iPad, cell phone) in the back seat, or have something of the child's (diaper bag, toy) in the front seat. Or this:

Kid invents gadget to prevent hot car deaths - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

(captioned)

Here's the thing. My kids are smart enough to get out of the damn car if it's that hot. They'd come find me or another adult and go... " it's ****ing hot! What's taking you so long? "

Seriously, why didn't the kids just get out and find their mom?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app
Some kids can but the infants and toddlers can't. Even if a toddler can get out, how is a toddler wandering around a parking lot, mall, or street in a safe situation?

The responsibility should never be put on the kids. That's what the parents are for. Sadly, the parents aren't fulfilling their responsibilities. :(

With Mazda car, you can't use AC without running engine.

Use a lot of gas? Not really, it will take many, many, many hours for gas to hit E after idling.
Not everyone has a Mazda.

You're assuming that the car is starting with a full tank.

You're also assuming nothing mechanically or electronically goes wrong.

One question that's been unasked:

Why on earth would you want to leave your children alone in a car? What could possibly be so important that you would do that?

At the pet supply shop we have reminder signs posted about leaving pets in a hot car.

One time my husband and I went to eat with my folks and we came back and there was a young baby in a baby seat in back seat of the car parked next to us...car locked..windows up...my dad, who worked security before he retired, noticed it first actually and became very upset and wanted to do something, he was considering breaking in, calling police etc...as we all peered in, I realized that it was VERY lifelike- baby doll strapped in a similarly lifelike baby seat - NEXT to an actual <for use> baby seat. In the back.

Once I was at the a store near the shelter where I volunteer. People at that store know that I volunteer at the shelter. Someone came to get me because they were concerned about a small dog in the back seat of a parked car. They wanted to know what should we do? We looked in and I noticed that all the windows were cracked and the car was parked in the shade; dog did not appear in distress and the day was not "hot and summery", but actually a cool Spring day.
Considering all this, I thought that the dog was fine where he was. But that was mostly because the temperature was not at all seasonal for the area and all windows were open some.

That said, in terms of temperature I personally wouldn't leave my dog in a parked car during anything other than Winter. Someone would be very stupid to try and mess with my car with one of my girls in it but for behavioral as well as safety reasons I generally wouldn't do it.

There's been a couple of times I stopped for gas on the way back from the vet's because I was very low, and I had to use the bathroom so I literally ran in and out.

If you can stay then stay and watch till law enforcement shows up but do it from a distance to avoid confrontation its hard to tell if someone is violent or carrying a weapon now days but get the tag # and make/model/color of vehicle and keep then watch from a safe distance. If the police show up flag them down and show them where it is sometimes (like in Walmart parking lot) it will be hard to find the vehicle or if the person leaves call back in and inform them they left and give the vehicle info so a cop can pay them a visit.

EDIT: if anyone sees a small child in a vehicle alone use 911 and if the child is in distress by all means break a window~

I was told by the ACO of my city if I see a dog owner doing something wrong I should call him and not to confront the person for my own safety . I have gotten to heated arguments with people leaving their dog in a car during the summer.

I have similar feeling too, but I do agree that kids are under 10 years old shouldn't left alone in car, even in cooler temperature or AC running.

I live in rural area that where crime is non-existent, except for traffic citation and some DUI cases, also LEO are very lax over minor stuffs.

Slaying stuns rural N.H. town - TODAY News - TODAY.com

Don't be so naïve , crime can happen anywhere especially today. This poor mother was killed in cold blood and she lived a rural area . Her daughter is very lucky to be alive.

Not everyone has a Mazda.

You're assuming that the car is starting with a full tank.

You're also assuming nothing mechanically or electronically goes wrong.

One question that's been unasked:

Why on earth would you want to leave your children alone in a car? What could possibly be so important that you would do that?

Most vehicles - you need run the engine to get AC completely working, especially Honda Accords, Chevy truck and Ford truck.

No, I idled my car for 3 hours at camp and didn't see much difference with gas, just very little.

See #35 - I will NOT leave my kid under 10 years old alone in vehicle for safety reason, also I REFUSE to leave my kid, regardless on age in urban/suburb. The rural area is safest place, in my experience and I know some parents left kids in car with AC running as they get fast shopping at store. Some places don't allow children, especially liquor stores.

Do you understand now?

Slaying stuns rural N.H. town - TODAY News - TODAY.com

Don't be so naïve , crime can happen anywhere especially today. This poor mother was killed in cold blood and she lived a rural area . Her daughter is very lucky to be alive.

Same goes to you too - don't be naive.

Urban and suburb have far more crime than in rural communities and most of crime on news occur in urban/suburb, so rural communities are safest place to live in, of course in my experience because I'm currently live in rural.

The probability of crime is very low in rural so you are more likely to be victim of crime in urban/suburb, but a lot worse in bad area that where probability is very high.

I really would like to know how others feel about the change to putting kids in the back seat and leaving them in the car by accident relate to each other.

Someone on TV said parents should put their babies diaper bags on the
front seat so it will remind them that their baby is the back seat of their car. Parents could put note on the seat too reminding they have to drop their baby off at daycare. Maybe hospitals should start giving new parents
instructions on how to care for their new baby and the danger of leaving their baby in a car or in alone in any water it only take a few inches of baby to drown a baby if they fall face into the water.

Here's the thing. My kids are smart enough to get out of the damn car if it's that hot. They'd come find me or another adult and go... " it's ****ing hot! What's taking you so long? "

Seriously, why didn't the kids just get out and find their mom?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Hello ! We're taking about babies and small kids being left a hot car. I think some cars doors will not open until you use the remote , parents could have the child safety lock on so their kids can't open the door.

Same goes to you too - don't be naive.

Urban and suburb have far more crime than in rural communities and most of crime on news occur in urban/suburb, so rural communities are safest place to live in, of course in my experience because I'm currently live in rural.

The probability of crime is very low in rural so you are more likely to be victim of crime in urban/suburb, but a lot worse in bad area that where probability is very high.

Crime rate is going up everywhere if you think you 100 % safe living in a rural area you're naïve .

Crime rate is going up everywhere if you think you 100 % safe living in a rural area you're naïve .

No, you are mistake about crime rate - it is up and down, depending on area so you need see FBI statistic below.
FBI &mdash; Table 1

You don't understand my statement and you need look at definition of probability. The probability of crime in rural area is extremely low, compare to urban and suburb, so it means you are more likely to be victim of crime in urban and suburb. I had conversation with police chief and he said that crime in my area is nearly non-existent, except for traffic citation and some DUI so they only send 2 police on duty. Many kids are running happily in my area and it is great area for kids to raise.

Your statement shows me that you are naive as well and you don't live in rural communities. I'm not worried about crime and I'm just happy citizen living in rural area.

Some places don't allow children, especially liquor stores.

Do you understand now?

No, I don't understand.
If you need beer and can't take your kid in you are not excused. Get someone to watch your kid, send someone else, go to a grocery store or just drink water!

I would call 911 even if the kids were locked in the car with AC, in the parking lot of a rural police station on a cool day - they still arent safe!

No, I don't understand.
If you need beer and can't take your kid in you are not excused. Get someone to watch your kid, send someone else, go to a grocery store or just drink water!

I would call 911 even if the kids were locked in the car with AC, in the parking lot of a rural police station on a cool day - they still arent safe!

Do you see full statement? I'm not talking about myself, but some adults left kids in car when they go to liquor store that where children aren't allowed, even some businesses don't welcome children.

It is not illegal to left kids unattended with AC running in my state so it means you are wasting of police resource for not breaking the law, but you can call police if child is in distress and desperate to get out of hot car.

Let me repeat my statement - I WILL NEVER leave my young child in car, period but I'm speaking about other parent, not mine.

The world isn't perfect and not all parent are perfect, anyway.

:( i couldnt believe that they leave kids or animals in the car,who can't open the door. Ugh.

State laws about leave kids unattended in a vehicle, but you can't leave kids in hot weather, regardless on state laws.
State Laws

In Texas, it is crime to leave child that younger than 7 years unattended in a car in more than 5 minutes.
https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/child_protection/about_child_protective_services/faqchildalone.asp

Leaving child alone in car not illegal in Arizona - CBS 5 - KPHO

Leave kids in hot car with no AC running is absolutely worse than leave kids in car with AC running or cool temperature, only two situations - which is worse. You could get charge with murder if you intently leave child in hot car like GA case last week or two.

. . .No, I idled my car for 3 hours at camp and didn't see much difference with gas, just very little.
Doing your share for the environment?

. . . Some places don't allow children, especially liquor stores.

Do you understand now?
Yeah. Liquor store purchases are more important than the safety of kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back