Isl vs asl vs bsl

Redpip

Reaction score
I live in Dublin, Ireland so ISL is my forte, so wondering if anyone likes the difference in the ISL/BSL/ASL signs as making SL universal especially would benefit all when we "speak" English...Last year on hols, I was away with my family & came across a deaf lad from Scotland & had a little difficulty trying to understand his BSL, could see his frustration as he was able to follow my moderate ISL (I don't use ISL everyday as am well spoken due to my level of deafness/hearing & my hearing environment at home & work) but we eventually got there...I told him that & he understood so was patient with me then we hit it off for the rest of the night with both our families...My wife was amazed that we couldn't get a grip with other at the start as I wasn't used to the BSL whereas he was familiar as had a deaf ex-girlfriend from Ireland.
He was way too fast especially when he using the spelling with his vowels on his fingers! :)
Have to say, just thinking back on our differences, the BSL way of spelling using the vowels on the fingers was clever made our discussion a little quicker once I got use to it as he was able to lipread me when I was stuck in my moderate ISL. Lovely chap!

Must have been cultural differences, same way as hearing people have different speaking accents in all speaking languages.

Just my tuppence for the day!

Hey,

I'm from the UK but live in the US now. My Aunt and Uncle are deaf and so I know some BSL. When I first started learning ASL I found the switch confusing because I kept going to sign the BSL version. I get tripped up on the alphabet because in ASL it's all with one hand where as BSL you use both. My biggest worry is that someone will think I'm being offensive or rude and that I'm just making up signs if I accidentally sign something in BSL rather than ASL...

I was wondering the same thing. I know asl but want to move to Ireland but noticed isl was different than asl. we need usl (universal sign language)

Back