iSearch Project: "How Hearing People View the Deaf"

Mirfain

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a junior in high school with a Cochlear Implant and have had Cochlear Implants since I was three. I'm doing a project for English and basically what I'm researching is "How does my hearing loss affect how other people view me? How did it change after they got to know me?"and I want to know other people have to say about this topic.

How do people who don't really know you treat you differently than the people who do?

What did your friends think about you before they got to know you versus what they think about you now?

Do you feel like people assume certain things when they learn you have a hearing loss? Explain.

What do you think deaf people are stereotyped as? Why do you think that is?

How often do your friends talk about your hearing loss?

How well do you think your friends understand your hearing loss?

If you have any other comments related to the topic, they would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Well, a good start would be not terming it "Hearing Impairment." Many people take offense to that, since it implies you're "lesser" because of your hearing loss. "Hard of Hearing" (HoH) is considered acceptable, since it really doesn't imply that you're impaired.

Well, a good start would be not terming it "Hearing Impairment." Many people take offense to that, since it implies you're "lesser" because of your hearing loss. "Hard of Hearing" (HoH) is considered acceptable, since it really doesn't imply that you're impaired.

yeah or Deaf is acceptable as well.

It sure would had been nice if you told a little about yourself before asking us all kind questions about our self.

try to go to library to learn about deaf/hearing impaired world.

Hello! I'm a junior in high school with a Cochlear Implant and have had Cochlear Implants since I was three. I'm doing a project for English and basically what I'm researching is "How does my hearing loss affect how other people view me? How did it change after they got to know me?"and I want to know other people have to say about this topic.

How do people who don't really know you treat you differently than the people who do?

What did your friends think about you before they got to know you versus what they think about you now?

Do you feel like people assume certain things when they learn you have a hearing loss? Explain.

If you have any other comments related to the topic, they would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

It sound like you are trying to have us do your homework for you. That's a lot of questions to ask about this. It does not matter if you are hard of hearing, deaf, or normal hearing, most students want(ed) to ask questions for their homework which their ASL teachers who probably happen to be hearing, not Deaf, give you assignment. I don't know about your questions as this is complicate trying to understand your questions before answering them. :hmm:

Thank you all for your comments. I would like to explain that asking questions is part of my homework to write a research paper by holding interviews and surveys and asking questions.

Do you realize how many people had used this forum to get their homework done ??? They tell nothing about their self and want us to tell our whole life story about growing up deaf or hoh then they never come back . I think you had answer your own question about how "hearing people view the deaf"

Mirfain: As for your essay re: "deafness" you can use your own experience. Consider how YOU would interact WITHOUT having a Cochlear Implant?

Also have any "voice off" deaf persons interacted with you as to why YOU have an Implant? Have "they" suggested YOU aren't "real" deaf as YOU use a Cochlear Implant?

aside: YOU probably are aware the "split" within the "deaf community" of those without vs with Implants.

aside: Interesting comments here in Alldeaf.com which surely offers a "variety of opinions".

Good luck in reviewing YOUR experiences in being "deaf" for your essay.

I am 59 years old and have been losing my hearing slowly since I was a young man. I am now down to about 80% loss. I guess that would make me hard of hearing. I start ASL classes in March. I've been studying almost daily on Lifeprint.com

How does my hearing loss affect how other people view me?
I think I'm viewed as a problem/liability as I work in retail and have to deal with customers in person and on the phone. I must ask people to repeat themselves, speak up or look at me when speaking to me.

How did it change after they got to know me?"and I want to know other people have to say about this topic.
People know me as competent, friendly and just another guy. I do work with a woman that just "doesn't get it". I have asked her repeatedly to look at me when speaking to me or I won't know what she is saying. She will walk away from me still speaking and expect me to know what she's saying. One time I signed to her that I'm hard of hearing and her reply was "that's not my fault" like its mine?

Some think I'm being rude and ignoring them or blowing them off.

I'm treated the same. My store manager has made reasonable accommodations for me at our Dept Mgr's meetings for me to hear better things being addressed.

I think most people assume hearing loss comes from hearing abuse and never consider genetics. My grandmother wore hearing aids, my mother wears hearing aids, my aunt wears hearing aids, my brother wears hearing aids, I wear hearing aids....it ain't look'n good for my daughters.

I don't have an answer for this

Not often, I just tell them my family history.

Not too sure.

If I think of something I'll let you know.

Good luck,
Rob

Back