Is utah school for the deaf a good school?

Chris2k

Reaction score
We're moving to Utah from Texas. My youngest son, James is currently in 9th grade and mainstream in HS and love his school because he's very good in math, but when we need to move to Utah (job offer). Should I encourage him to go to Utah School for the Deaf and Blind? Any ex-students experiences there, stay mainstreamed, or any suggestion?

Thanks!

Visit the school with him to research to see if he likes or not. Do not pressure him. Just let him roam himself for a day if he likes it or not.0

There are some cultural issues in Utah. Might be good to thoroughly check out the local school district, too, before making a decision.

We're moving to Utah from Texas. My youngest son, James is currently in 9th grade and mainstream in HS and love his school because he's very good in math, but when we need to move to Utah (job offer). Should I encourage him to go to Utah School for the Deaf and Blind? Any ex-students experiences there, stay mainstreamed, or any suggestion?

Thanks!
I thought USDB wasn't very good. Like it's not a sizable physical campus, and most of the kids on the physical campus tend to be multihandicapped. There is a bi-bi program but it's Preschool- 8. No high school. I'm not sure if they might have the type of program where dhh kids from an area attend a mainstream school ...I think you have to contact USDB personally to see the options. He might be able to attend Idaho School for the Deaf and Blind or MSSD in Washington DC.

Thank you for sharing it with us. I know the feeling of struggle about what is best for your youngest son, James. I do have a friend whose son went to USDB but to be honest, it didn’t work out for his son. So they decided to put him at MSSD. I’ve heard many good things about MSSD and his son succeed there. I could connect you to my friend if you wish to and ask more questions about both schools. The father lives in Utah. Or you can call directly at USDB and find more information about it.

You are in my prayer.

In Ogden? Bleh. I had my head chew out by Ogden natives quite a few times. I'm told it is not good. My friend lives in Sandy and is a Deaf advocate. He said USDB has lots of problems. They are way behind. :( I haven't met younger USDB alumnus yet, but I met older USDB alumnus and they're bitter toward it.

As for mainstream schools in Utah, you must find a good school with good teachers and make sure they're friendly. My friend whose daughter has to deal with bullies at a school in Orem. They trashed her house with toilet papers and eggs. :(

You will learn Utah terms up there. And be prepared your neighbors will knock your door to know you and will offer you a pie or if you need any help. That's how it is up there.

I don't know where you're limited to moving wise, but in the Rocky Mountain area I would definitely recommend Rocky Mountain School for the Deaf in Golden, Colorado just west of Denver. Unfortunately Denver is stupid expensive to live in since all the weed people have moved here along with gentrification, but all that aside it's a GREAT school. I wish I was younger so I could have had that opportunity to attend there. Near Utah is also Aspen Camp for the Deaf, I went to camp there growing up.

Back