Is there something that hearies can wear to simulate deafness?

Actually from what I see, the hearing person will get lost quite quickly into a environment that they are not used to and have no coping skills that are developed like a HOH person. They will get a "taste" of that experience. To say "hearie can not get the slightest comprehension of deafness" is self servicing is like telling Jilo that in no way she can understand her son deafness.

Getting lost in an unknown environment for a short time is nothing like knowing that it is permanent, at the end of the day the experimenting hearie knows they will hear again, for us there is no end, it is a life sentence.

I am not sure this applies but my son, who is 4, had a tryout on my aid. To explain to him back when he was 2, I put my CIC in his ear so that it wouldn't squeal and I whispered 'hear how loud that is?' And he nodded. I said that I couldn't hear w/out it. I just did that w/ my daughter but I don't think she get's it yet. In the past, when a boyfriend wanted to know, i would plug my aid into their ear. The hearing can tell how the sound is different than real hearing. They can see the difference by the way things sound w/ the aid in their own ear. Anyway, that's how i explain it to people.

Getting lost in an unknown environment for a short time is nothing like knowing that it is permanent, at the end of the day the experimenting hearie knows they will hear again, for us there is no end, it is a life sentence.

Indeed! It is one thing to realize that it is temporary but it is a whole different thing when one knows it is permanent.

I liken it to somebody on a low balance beam a foot off the ground. Anybody can do it and if they fall, so what. Now, try that 25ft in the air without falling.

Indeed! It is one thing to realize that it is temporary but it is a whole different thing when one knows it is permanent.

I liken it to somebody on a low balance beam a foot off the ground. Anybody can do it and if they fall, so what. Now, try that 25ft in the air without falling.

I agree with you and Raykat..

I think it's a good thing if a hearing person wants to experience the way we do. I don't think it should be discouraged. Maybe the can't put themselves totally in our shoes but can we put ourselves in theirs? Everyone has problems you know.

To me being profoundly deaf is no big deal. I only had problems as a hard of hearing person because people wanted me to use my weakest sense to communicate with so actually going profoundly deaf was a major releif. Now they don't have a choice but to use the deafblind manual or block captials with me.

It just may work. I have experienced sudden altitude changes in a helicopter (MH-60 Blackhawk, U.S. Army Medical Transport) and with the pressure difference, It does get hard to hear. So in my opinion, you need something that either suddenly decreases air pressure or an extra long ear canal plug thet rests on the ear drum. Aside from going completely deaf, that's as far as reality I can think of. Do at your own risk though.

I had exactly such an experience a couple months ago while flying from Minneapolis to Memphis - my ears weren't clearing on their own, and as we began to make our descent, I realized at one point that I heard no engine noise in the plane. It felt as if the plane were gliding, and I actually was concerned for a moment because that would be...not a good thing, to say the least! :shock: Then I realized it was not only the plane I didn't hear...I wasn't hearing anything at all. It's probably the only time in my life that I've experienced complete silence, because even with the best earplugs you still hear your own breathing, swallowing etc. Of course the big difference is that as soon as I plugged my nose and blew, it was all back to normal.

I had exactly such an experience a couple months ago while flying from Minneapolis to Memphis - my ears weren't clearing on their own, and as we began to make our descent, I realized at one point that I heard no engine noise in the plane. It felt as if the plane were gliding, and I actually was concerned for a moment because that would be...not a good thing, to say the least! :shock: Then I realized it was not only the plane I didn't hear...I wasn't hearing anything at all. It's probably the only time in my life that I've experienced complete silence, because even with the best earplugs you still hear your own breathing, swallowing etc. Of course the big difference is that as soon as I plugged my nose and blew, it was all back to normal.

that happened to me as well...but i was sick so it was like 10x worse cuz i had fluid build upin my ears...sowhen we descended i was in SOOOo much pain..i was crying cuz it hurt so much, my bf just held me the whole way down..i had 2 flights to get home the first descent wasnt tooo bad..i could't hear anything for like 30 min after....BUT the 2nd descent wheni got home...OMG it was horrible!!! pain was soo bad and i tried to pop...that def was notttt a good idea!..needless to say i couldn't hear anything for about 4 hours after about an hour for the left tho...but my right was out of commision for a good few hrs..i had to put my ha on but not turn it on cuz it hurt to, and get my bf to explain to the customs officers why i wasn't responding to their q's lol

I read somewhere about a head set that looks similar to headphones that coves the ear. This head set is very thick and the person wearing them wouldn't be able to hear.

that happened to me as well...but i was sick so it was like 10x worse cuz i had fluid build upin my ears...sowhen we descended i was in SOOOo much pain..i was crying cuz it hurt so much, my bf just held me the whole way down..i had 2 flights to get home the first descent wasnt tooo bad..i could't hear anything for like 30 min after....BUT the 2nd descent wheni got home...OMG it was horrible!!! pain was soo bad and i tried to pop...that def was notttt a good idea!..needless to say i couldn't hear anything for about 4 hours after about an hour for the left tho...but my right was out of commision for a good few hrs..i had to put my ha on but not turn it on cuz it hurt to, and get my bf to explain to the customs officers why i wasn't responding to their q's lol

The same thing happened when I was a kid..fluid developed and I tried to pop my ears..nothing..at the flight home a few days back was in good pain and I traveled alone ( 13 yrs old , From greece to Cyprus and back )

Flight home was just like yours lilitalia...much pain , although no crying ..when I landed I couldn't hear anything , and I had to take another flight..I dreaded it so much that ended up going home by 15 hour bus ride..lol..my ears got normal till the end of the bus journey , but had fluid and some vacteria..my fault for having my HA's on the whole journey..since then been having a lot of problems with infections..

Best way to have an hearing person not hear a single sound is to go way out in the country (boon docks). No cars near, or anything but just animals maybe. That is the best way to describe deafness in a person really.

Many times when I go camping and they would say man it is so quiet out there. Not a peep in a sound. I would tell them that is what I hear every day without a hearing aid.

Back