Is the summer of 2003 the year of the 17 year Cicadas qq

Fly Free

Reaction score
is this summer gonna be the year for the 2003 onslaught of the 17 year cicadas qq

those little critters "births" from the ground only to call for a mating then once finish mating they die and they are around only for a week or so thereabouts if i recall right from when i was a kid (unfortunately i dont recall how old i was when i first saw them!!)

did u know ppl would ACTUALLY collect the cicadas and eat them qq :shock:

U refering to the one i saw in Santa rosa New Mexico campground? that little bug???

I thought it was thr 7 yr bug not the 17 yr bug???

Originally posted by javapride
U refering to the one i saw in Santa rosa New Mexico campground? that little bug???

I thought it was thr 7 yr bug not the 17 yr bug???

yep yep Javapride -- the shell left by 1 under the picnic table -- and no its a 17 year cicada aka locusts

I thought I saw one in Columbus, ohio, but I could not verify that kind of huge bug.

Other than that, a huge ugly beetle bug arrived on the backyard ground in LV. My mom was freaked out. LOL

Originally posted by SilenceGold
It happens every year...I think?

no SilenceGold -- they come out every 17 years -- they are buried underground and thats where they stay for 17 years growing and eating and whatever then when they break the ground to the trees is when they start being such an annoying nuisance for the hearies for up to a week just to MATE then once the eggs are buried the adult cicadas die :dunno: why specifically their lifespan is so SHORT -- if i find a picture i will post in here

Originally posted by Oddball
I thought I saw one in Columbus, ohio, but I could not verify that kind of huge bug.

Other than that, a huge ugly beetle bug arrived on the backyard ground in LV. My mom was freaked out. LOL

yes theyre big bugs -- typical color is brown/light tan sort of -- i gotta find pix :o UNLESSSSSSSSSS if this turns out to be indeed the year of the cicadas perfect ill grab 1 and take a pix of it and post in here :D

thats what i thought they just talked on the news just now that thier now across the state of idaho right now ....

Originally posted by Fly Free
yes theyre big bugs -- typical color is brown/light tan sort of -- i gotta find pix :o UNLESSSSSSSSSS if this turns out to be indeed the year of the cicadas perfect ill grab 1 and take a pix of it and post in here :D

I believe I have seen the kind of bug there. It was damn ugly one.

Oddball will post the right pix im talking abt -- i cant seem to figure out HOW HOW :roll: ive forgotten how :-x hahaha

Here it is...

Attachments

• cicada12.jpg
    cicada12.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 77
THATS what i thought! wtg oddball for posting that....

Fly free thats the one i remmied i also remmy it being stinky too!

Originally posted by javapride
THATS what i thought! wtg oddball for posting that....

Fly free thats the one i remmied i also remmy it being stinky too!

THAT was the cicada u saw in SR, NM last summer -- at least the shell it had left behind

I remember those kind of bugs.. I've seen them all over the ground (the shells) twice when I was little.. when I first saw the shells all over the ground as I stepped foot outside, I was confused and said what is THAT..I didn't know why those were there.. Didn't bother to ask lol and went on resuming to my activities :P

Oh..I've seen that almost every year. They're always on that tree outside on the backyard of my mother's house.

Is there a such thing as a baby boomers for Cicadas?

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Oh..I've seen that almost every year. They're always on that tree outside on the backyard of my mother's house.

Is there a such thing as a baby boomers for Cicadas?

sounds like ur land is OLD and never have been reirrigated in YEARS -- u prolly have only seen the shells of those cicadas all over the land --

as for baby boomers for cicadas -- SilenceGold -- i dont think so as they only emerge once every 17 years from underground and make SO MUCH noise they are a nuisance for the hearies and they haveta suffer thru that before it dies down :laugh2:

Originally posted by Teekie
I remember those kind of bugs.. I've seen them all over the ground (the shells) twice when I was little.. when I first saw the shells all over the ground as I stepped foot outside, I was confused and said what is THAT..I didn't know why those were there.. Didn't bother to ask lol and went on resuming to my activities :P

:laugh2: :laugh2: Teekie -- ofc u were too young to bother finding out what they were unless u were SO INTO bugs -- now that u are older u would see them when they emerge and now know what they are :lol: -- now ur boys would go :confused: next and if theyre into bugs would bring 1 in and say "mommy!!!! what is that qq" and u :o "take that OUTSIDE!!!!!!" hahahah (remincing in my young childhood years when i would bring in bugs or other animals in the house and my mother would *argh* and tell me to take it OUTSIDE)

Check out this link.

Question: If these cicadas appear every 17 years, then why is it that they are listed to appear as frequently as every 4 years?
Answer: Good question. Magicicadas emerge in what's known as Broods -- which you can think of as families or tribes. Each Brood emerges in 17 (or 13) year cycles. There can be more than one Brood in a state or even the same area, which is why you have emergences happening every 4 years or less in certain areas. Broods never get a chance to interbreed, so they're usually genetically different than other broods, and are often comprised of different species (Magicicada is a Genus name not a species).

I assume that I have several broods in my area.

According to this chart..it appears that I have two broods. Both XIX and XXIII. :D

Back