Is it okay to call people a retard ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Maria, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Maria

Maria New Member Premium Member

Do you think it is okay to call AD members/anyone a retard in despite of their experiences, educations, opinions from their point of views, and all that ? What about their experiences (knowledge) that they've been through and that person still call them a "retard" when that person disagreed ?

Please, share your voice on this ... thanks ! :)

2. Liza

Liza New Member

It's always good to agree to disagree and leave it at that. If the person can't handle it, then it's... well... you gotta be an example.

It's never okay to call others names. This is just bullying plain and simple - to cover up someone's inadequancy. If someone is harassing you, you should inform a trusted moderator or the administrator immediately and leave the matters up to them. Don't reply to that person who called you a retard (if you do, things will keep dragging on and you will never change the person).

If things aren't done as you want them to be, you may make feedback in how things can be improved/describe the action and how it can be prevented, get feedback on yourself etc.. and if solutions can't be reached that will make everybody happy, simply stop allowing yourself to be in an environment where this bullying is left unchecked. Of course, just my thoughts. :)

3. Banjo

Banjo Expelled Premium Member

It's quite rude if you call somebody a name that may offend.

4. Frisky Feline

Frisky Feline Well-Known Member

yeah..

a person who call someone a retard is an IGNORANT, INSECURE, LONELY, INFERIOR and UNEDUCATED.

5. kuifje75

kuifje75 Guest

I agree 100% with Liza on this. Not only does name-calling offend people, but it can cause a barrier between you and the person. Both persons will dislike each other and not want to listen to each other or open their minds to other person's ideas. Trying to discuss civilly will prevent that.

6. Banjo

Correct.

But it's not just the name-callings, it was also the accusations, snide remarks, and whining that caused the barriers too as well.

7. javapride

javapride New Member

:werd: on liza and kootchie, I agree too, calling names that offend can cause a rift between two poeple who may want in later time make peace, if they call anyone a retard as a joke, then ofc must say its a joke but otherwise in plain meanness no way, im not like that....

8. pinkster

pinkster Guest

I think name calling is bad, with any name. Especially in anger. However, I do call my friends names, affectionately ofc.

My question to you is, are you pointing fingers? Because if you are, you're not really any better than people who name call, are you? :)

9. Maria

Maria New Member Premium Member

Thanks everyone for sharin' your voices.... :D

I am glad that you posted to share your voices for certain member. I hope that the certain member read all your posts and try to understand that by usin' the word "retard" is NOT acceptable. Someone who used the word "retard" somewhere in this AD......... *Sigh* It's why I decided to make this thread and ask you if, it is ok to call someone a "retard". I know it's NOT okay to call someone like that since it's very rude.

In fact, I know some people from another forum called me "retard" in the past. To me, that's like someone who is a racist, Nazi, KKK, "Adolf Hilter" worshipper....... blah ! That word "retard" will not tolerate !

10. LovelyBlkGal

LovelyBlkGal New Member

It's very interesting CyberRed. It's not ok to call them *retard* cuz it's can cause their's feel hurt if any memeber call them for no reason. If i were in ur shoe i will juz walk away or don't post in here till person will aploze(sp) to call *retard* for no reason or juz ingore. Cuz no one prefect right???

11. deafdyke

deafdyke Well-Known Member

Nope....calling someone a retard is like calling someone "gay" as an insult.
    I actually am developmentally delayed....I am 24 (close to 25) but still act like I am a teenager in a lot of ways, so the retard insult kinda hits close to home for me (as a matter of fact, I have a syndrome that can and does cause MR in a large percentage of affected people. Strangely enough I am not retarded) On the other hand some people DO act retarded...the type of person who is like "Ummm....Who's President Bush?" I think people should think of an alternative insult that means doofy and out of it, rather then insulting people with legitimate nereodevelopmental issues.

12. Frisky Feline

I totally agree that I do not like someone used the word retarded because they can find a better word instead of the word retareded. It shows that person who used the word that have limited themselve in order to say something but retarded. KWIM It disgusts me whoever used the word that is another issues. Glad you brought it up here. by the way, i am told that i m retarded too in the past. oh boy..

13. Banjo

But if a person say something like, "Man, that is really gay".

The word, gay can be also translated as today's slang for the word, lame. Have you ever thought about that?

Just a thought. :)

14. CrazyMomma

CrazyMomma Guest

Are you calling me RETARD??? :pissed: :|

I would have to agree with Liza and Kootchie.. Calling names is out of line. Repect to other people, no matter what they are. If you want to be a nice person and good friend, respect other people. If you do calling name to other, it could make you look like a bad person or bad friend. :ugh:

15. Miss-Delectable

Miss-Delectable New Member

Retard is not a NICE word to use. In fact it is against the law to use it in Australia.

No, I would never call one a retard. People deserve respect!

16. Banjo

It's against the law?

I personally don't believe there should be laws based on name-callings. But I do believe that it should be frowned upon.

17. Frisky Feline

that one can be the one that i never thought of. thanks banjo.

18. deafdyke

deafdyke Well-Known Member

I always say something like " Really? I thought it was lesbian!" or " How do you know that thing's gay? Did you see it shagging another thing?"
    Yeah, by FOURTH graders! To me the word gay is such a fourth grade slang word, along the lines of Dude and totally radical.

19. TweetyBird

TweetyBird ... Premium Member

i agree with LIZA!!!

20. sequoias

sequoias Active Member Premium Member

Never assume they are retard.....that's about it...gotta respect them no matter what. They had experiences growing up in a different way from others, social factors, and all that stuff....anyhow so far alldeaf has tons of nice people, I've never seen any one insult other members here on alldeaf....pretty cooperative. :D