Is it just me or do others have this problem

runner6771

Reaction score
I wear a CI and I have a hearing aid. I can hear someone talk if the room is totally silent and one person is talking. If there are two people talking I don't understand a word. I actually like hearing more from my CI than my hearing aid. I am pretty good at hearing my family but not many other people.
Even my family speaking has to be in a room or outside with no background noise and only one person talking. There is this occasional person that I can hear probably due to the range that they speak. I'm ready to give up all social situations. It is too frustrating and depressing. I've tried leaning lip reading on the internet. I've read and been to lectures about lighting where to sit you name it. Can other deaf people hear in rooms with people? I give up!!!!!

db loss and strength of HAs play a big role. I’m profoundly deaf, but do wear HAs anyway. I hear noise and speech very well with that, but clarity and understanding is another thing entirely. I depend on lip-reading to fill in the gaps.

You said you have a CI. It seems as if you need more training with it to gain more clarity. And filter out outside noise (sounds other than the person you are trying to listen to). I will let others who have a CI address this more as I don’t have a CI.

Don’t give up. Many of us are in your boat. Try different social settings. Those who know me in person know that I understand others very easily even in social settings, except in certain situations.

I am the same way, with my hearing aid, I have to focus ON ONE PERSON at a time. I cant focus on two or three at a time, aint happening. As I also lip read. I think when I stare at their lips, they know I am hoh or deaf, they can tell by teh way I talk. so... yeah.

Ohhh yes... yep. I'm much like AlleyCat- profound loss but my residual hearing is... sort of better. I can catch some words but one on one is better for me. Forget any groups larger than 3 (the last two weeks have been rather trying with two different relatives visiting- one I hadn't seen in 18 years (that's more due to distance living wise than anything else). Lipreading I do but I suck because of my vision lol. It also depends on the range for me too. I can hear/understand women's voices in general but men's voices I have a difficult time with- especially dad's...hm maybe that's why he's picking up some signs and fingerspells even with his mild arthritis...

Tried out a speech to text app. It was ok but not good in groups and the app I had crashed about 50 billion times (and ate the phone battery).

Hang in there... I'd say work with your CI more-- maybe look into remapping or something.. if you've only just got the CI in the last year or so...it takes time (guessing there- I don't have one).

I have recently learned again that it is an ongoing learning experiance. Smiles here. The hearing aid I use is an emormous help as long as my strategies for aiding it are enormously helpful.

Social situations are as smooth and successful as I make them. The truth is any human can communicate successfully with any other human successfully one to one without any aids or hearing or even developed skills. It may be achingly slow and awkward and simple but it gets the job done.
Where it becomes difficult and prone to failure is when there are more than one person and circumstances require moving along at group speed.

My point is first that you are not alone in the universal sense of being challenged. You are in the right crowd here for your questions. In answer to you another thread could be started called, "successful communication strategies for the deaf and hoh".

Back