Is it ever ok for kids NOT to use ASL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, if you want the research, the citations have been produced any number of times on AD, in response to both you and others. Do you know how to use the search feature?

Ah, you see, that is where you are limiting yourself. You are listening only to the oralists you find at the A.G. Bell conventions. They are hardly representative of the deaf population as a whole.

That environment is as big as any other child's enviroment. What kind of a question is that? You asked about access to communication, not environment size.:roll: I haven't refused to answer anything. I answered your question. Just because you do not like the answer doesn't mean it hasn't been answered.

Since you are the one that is resorting to personal attacks, and attempt to justify the decisions you have made at every turn, one would wonder, indeed, who is threatened. Especially since your primary goal appears to be to discount anything and everything stated by deaf individuals.

**smile**

No, have to would imply that there is no other alternative.

Yes, have to. HAVE TO, have to, have to. Not that it is any of your freaking buisness but our school doesn't go through high school. The deaf kids, oral or signers, are mainstreamed in 10th grade at a hearing high school together. So my choice is mainstream her OR mainstream her.

Yes, have to. HAVE TO, have to, have to. Not that it is any of your freaking buisness but our school doesn't go through high school. The deaf kids, oral or signers, are mainstreamed in 10th grade at a hearing high school together. So my choice is mainstream her OR mainstream her.

At the 10th grade....10 years from now. Perhaps your alternatives will change by then. Can't very well make that decision now, as you have not arrived at the point where it needs to be made, nor where all of the future options are presented. To mainstream earlier, then, would be a "choose to" not a "have to."

Well, if you want the research, the citations have been produced any number of times on AD, in response to both you and others. Do you know how to use the search feature?

Ah, you see, that is where you are limiting yourself. You are listening only to the oralists you find at the A.G. Bell conventions. They are hardly representative of the deaf population as a whole.

That environment is as big as any other child's enviroment. What kind of a question is that? You asked about access to communication, not environment size.:roll: I haven't refused to answer anything. I answered your question. Just because you do not like the answer doesn't mean it hasn't been answered.

Since you are the one that is resorting to personal attacks, and attempt to justify the decisions you have made at every turn, one would wonder, indeed, who is threatened. Especially since your primary goal appears to be to discount anything and everything stated by deaf individuals.

**smile**

Yes, just keep repeating your unsubstantiated opinions. When you have some facts come back.

Good to see that you continuously do not fail to disappoint as you resorted to your usual attack mode of now saying that I have to defend my decisions. Makes a lot of sense, that one has to defend decisions that have proved successful to a group of unknown people. Hey, if that is how you need to rationalize it, go right ahead.

That's a rather vague answer. Got any actual figures?

Per cent of students exceeding NY State Standardized English requirements for the 07-08 academic year:

My district 92% State average 79%

For Math:

My district 96% State average 70%

and yes our Special Ed students are included in those figures.

Yes, just keep repeating your unsubstantiated opinions. When you have some facts come back.

Good to see that you continuously do not fail to disappoint as you resorted to your usual attack mode of now saying that I have to defend my decisions. Makes a lot of sense, that one has to defend decisions that have proved successful to a group of unknown people. Hey, if that is how you need to rationalize it, go right ahead.

I am curious. Did your daughter get a good job and have a happy life?

At the 10th grade....10 years from now. Perhaps your alternatives will change by then. Can't very well make that decision now, as you have not arrived at the point where it needs to be made, nor where all of the future options are presented. To mainstream earlier, then, would be a "choose to" not a "have to."

The school ends. There needs to be a critical mass of students for a high school. They do not and never have had, and never will have the amount of students, and staff needed to teach all the core areas in high school. They also partial mainstream starting in 7th grade. Again, you make assumptions about the services in my area which you know nothing about.

Not opinion, conclusions supported with empirical evidence. Empirical evidence that has been supplied more than once on this forum.:cool2:

Why, exactly, is it that you keep returning to a forum known as AllDeaf, when you continue to display such distain for both its members and their deafness? If you are so threatened by the deaf perspective, wouldn't it be more comfortable for you to simply stay away from it? You obviously did that for years. Why do you feel such a need to justify your oralist philosophies at this point in time?

And if a child choses to discontinue sign? Is that ok? (I have seen it happen. I have a friend who cries because her son REFUSES to sign now. They still use it for their younger daughter, but the son does NOT want it)

Why would a child refuse to use a language that was acceptable to the family?

Not a child psychologist but I am a great grand father who has watched a lot of kids grow up -- And this to me suggests a serious trauma, quite likely at school. Ridicule perhaps? Being bullied because of?

I would find out why, and I would suggest to the schools that if they did not help me find an answer and find it now I would seek an attorney with a view of holding them liable.

Per cent of students exceeding NY State Standardized English requirements for the 07-08 academic year:

My district 92% State average 79%

For Math:

My district 96% State average 70%

and yes our Special Ed students are included in those figures.

Not if your special ed students are exempted from proficiency testing. And the majority are.

Not opinion, conclusions supported with empirical evidence. Empirical evidence that has been supplied more than once on this forum.:cool2:

Why, exactly, is it that you keep returning to a forum known as AllDeaf, when you continue to display such distain for both its members and their deafness? If you are so threatened by the deaf perspective, wouldn't it be more comfortable for you to simply stay away from it? You obviously did that for years. Why do you feel such a need to justify your oralist philosophies at this point in time?

Can you provide it for others who have not seen it? I am sure there are many here who have not seen the materials requested, even if Rick has.

And if a child choses to discontinue sign? Is that ok? (I have seen it happen. I have a friend who cries because her son REFUSES to sign now. They still use it for their younger daughter, but the son does NOT want it)

Not a child psychologist but I am a great grand father who has watched a lot of kids grow up -- And this to me suggests a serious trauma, quite likely at school. Ridicule perhaps? Being bullied because of?

I would find out why, and I would suggest to the schools that if they did not help me find the answer and find it now I would seek an attorney with a view of holding them liable.

I would find out why, and I would suggest to the schools that if they did not help me find an answer and find it now I would seek an attorney with a view of holding them liable.

Because he wants to communicate in the way that he prefers. Why do many CODA's end up using English as their L1?

Can you provide it for others who have not seen it? I am sure there are many here who have not seen the materials requested, even if Rick has.

Do you know how to use the search feature? I am not on my home computer, and that is where all of my research is stored. But, I have in the past, provided citations for every bit of research I have cited, allowing others to have the information to access it if they wish.

Do you know how to use the search feature? I am not on my home computer, and that is where all of my research is stored. But, I have in the past, provided citations for every bit of research I have cited, allowing others to have the information to access it if they wish.

So that is a no?

So that is a no?

No, it is not a "no." It is a "the information has already been posted, and is available to you if you want it. All you have to do is look for it. I guess it depends on how badly you want it."

No, it is not a "no." It is a "the information has already been posted, and is available to you if you want it. All you have to do is look for it. I guess it depends on how badly you want it."

Tell me what to search for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back