Is it ever ok for kids NOT to use ASL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, dear, it doesn't. Check your linguistics info.

But fluency has nothing to do with primary use, and that is what you referred to. One can be fluent in a language that is not the language of primary use.

I believe the term I was refering to is language attrition. When a minority language user loses their L1 to the majority language. That is what I meant for CODA's and for some deaf kids who drop ASL.

Above the state of New York's average which is above the national average. BTW we are one of the top feeder schools for the Ivy League.

Per cent of students exceeding NY State Standardized English requirements for the 07-08 academic year:

My district 92% State average 79%

For Math:

My district 96% State average 70%

and yes our Special Ed students are included in those figures.

Link?

I believe the term I was refering to is language attrition. When a minority language user loses their L1 to the majority language. That is what I meant for CODA's and for some deaf kids who drop ASL.

Again, you are talking about primary use. And attrition refers to vocab only. It is not lost, it simply goes into long term memory, and can be retrieved.

And L1 refers to the language that is acquired, and the foundation on which learning an L2, L3, etc. is based. It has nothing to do with vocab, but of the fundamental principles of language that are internalized during the acquisition period.

I believe the term I was refering to is language attrition. When a minority language user loses their L1 to the majority language. That is what I meant for CODA's and for some deaf kids who drop ASL

I go for language attrition. That is how I would describe what happened to me. In my case both Spanish and ASL are C languages. I find it frustrating that I can't express in them as I can English and I really want to.

Yet I can express things in ASL easily that I find extremely difficult in English.

We know that she started learning ASL when she went to college.

Why do you persist in posting lies about my child?

I have told you several times that, at my suggestion, she took several ASL classes and although she can use ASL and has many deaf friends, she uses spoken English almost exclusively with them and with others.

Why do you persist in posting lies about my child?

I have told you several times that, at my suggestion, she took several ASL classes and although she can use ASL and has many deaf friends, she uses spoken English almost exclusively with them and with others.

Then, I didn't tell a lie. She began learning ASL after she went to college. You just confirmed it.

Nor did I faire_jour, nor did I. You both need to stop trying to insert words where there are none.

Yes you did! He said she took ASL classes, YOU said "after she went to college". For all we know she took those classes at age 9.

Yes you did! He said she took ASL classes, YOU said "after she went to college". For all we know she took those classes at age 9.

Perhaps you should look before you leap, faire_jour. I stated that she took them after she went to college, not that she took them in college. And this is based on a revelation Rick posted quite some time before you ever became a member of AD. I'm sure there are several long term members that remember him posting it.

Again, stop twisting my words, or trying to insert meaning that is not there for your own convenience.

Perhaps you should look before you leap, faire_jour. I stated that she took them after she went to college, not that she took them in college. And this is based on a revelation Rick posted quite some time before you ever became a member of AD. I'm sure there are several long term members that remember him posting it.

Again, stop twisting my words, or trying to insert meaning that is not there for your own convenience.

I will defer to him of course. He said it was a lie, so I assume it wasn't true. Only HE knows the story, you do not.

Why do you assume you are always right? Why would he lie about whether or not she learned ASL?

Why, exactly, is it that you keep returning to a forum known as AllDeaf, when you continue to display such distain for both its members and their deafness? If you are so threatened by the deaf perspective, wouldn't it be more comfortable for you to simply stay away from it? You obviously did that for years. Why do you feel such a need to justify your oralist philosophies at this point in time?

Please do not attempt to divert attention from the points I have repeatedly made that I have nothing but admiration and respect for those members of the deaf community who were, are and always will be sources of tremendous inspiration and information for us, especially when we became parents of a child who lost her hearing due to meningitis.

It is you, and not the deaf community, that I have "disdain" for.

Mod's Note:

This thread is heading elsewhere and it's time to cool things down for the time being. This thread will also be undergoing a review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back