Is Gallaudet the Deaf Mecca in America?

brotheryellow

Reaction score
i blogged about this question I have been wondering.. If you want to read it and let me know what your opinions are if I should try to go there.. thanks!
Gallaudet Deaf Mecca:wave:

You should- Sounds like you are already immersed into the Deaf community after looking through some of your blog posts. I wouldn't say Gallaudet is THE mecca... there is also NTID up in Rochester NY, but it is certainly a "Top Banana" (sorry mind is foggy thanks to cold). I will say that Gallaudet is a great place to learn- definitely socially- when I went some of the courses had a lot to be desired-- the Honors English class I took was the same level (and same material!) as the 'track B' English class I took my junior and senior years in high school (Catholic!). I think the academics is better now from what I have heard though. If your ASL is rusty or middling-- I'd definitely go during the summer to NSP- a very good way to jump in. The summer I attended quite a few students eventually left that first semester at Gallaudet- NSP was a good way to know if you felt comfortable and wanted to keep going.

All sorts of deaf go to Gallaudet (and NTID)- deaf school graduates, "mainstreamed" (either with IEP/interpreters or with nothing at all- like me) school graduates, late deafened..

I'm actually toying with the idea of going back for a second degree (in Computer Science) from Gallaudet. Problem is money LOL.

erm i think it is like a Deaf Mecca, yer as Muslims are expected to go to the Mecca once in their lifetime, and its importance, so you could say it is similar, or at least a d/Deafie should know about it....

er about computer science, too outdated.....and outmoded....nah, do Information Systems it is better for employ ability, and do apps, mob programing, even better

True- there are many different "titles" /degrees though-- Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, um.. can't think of others that I've run across (none specializing in Programming though which is really what I want)- have come across degrees specializing in Networking, Security (Ironically QA testing is growing in that area- Security Testing..).

At this point it's just a dream- I've done okay for the most part without a degree in IT (it's in Education) but I always toy with the idea when my unemployment gap grows larger by the day :/ even though my work experience is stellar (or so I'm told).

Dunno about Mecca......gally was always more a Vegas kinda campus for me......
What happens at gally stays at gally so they sign

Dunno about Mecca......gally was always more a Vegas kinda campus for me......
What happens at gally stays at gally so they sign

Umm Vegas kinda, I m trying to think of something else but Gally was so awesome for me.

However Gally is Impossible to keep silent. :lol:

I'm actually toying with the idea of going back for a second degree (in Computer Science) from Gallaudet. Problem is money LOL.

You'd want to go to RIT instead. RIT is technology-based, and computer science is, as well.

Gally is more of a social-based university, from what I've heard. Gally focuses on sociology, psychology, deaf education, etc *of* deaf people and the d/Deaf community.

I never went to either one of those. I went to a state uni for my Info Tech major. IT majors have to take a chunk of computer science (programming, web programming, and database) as well as networking, network security, and PC configurations.

true- Gally does have science degrees- last I looked there was a 'Computer Science' one but not sure how good it is (a friend once said that program was terrible - don't recall what year(s) tho) but it is more known as a "Liberal Arts" university- or was when I was attending. Never thought of RIT/NTID mainly because it's NY- I'm not a fan of NY at all... DC was sort of the lesser of two evils as it was because a relative was living in DC a block from Gally at the time (I swear to this day that was the only reason why my mother felt comfortable with me going to Gally...).

Have looked at other possibilities too including community colleges (at least an AA degree...) but it all comes back to money- there's no guarantee I can get FinAid or scholarships/grants etc... VR I'm not even sure I can rely on either anyway. If I win the lottery yep I'm going back! LOL.

i blogged about this question I have been wondering.. If you want to read it and let me know what your opinions are if I should try to go there.. thanks!
Gallaudet Deaf Mecca:wave:

Can you tell me of another place in the world where there are Deaf people in every capacity imaginable?

It's not Gallaudet, per se. Rather, it's the entire Washington D.C. region. Certainly, Gallaudet is a huge driver.

Here in D.C. you'll find Deaf people in high positions of the government to the ones that are homeless walking up and down the street with a mug. That includes Deaf people working at Jamba Juice, food service, knife sharpening, teachers, interpreters, bartenders, groundkeepers, asphalt maintenance. The list goes on.

There are Deaf people that are straight shooters, to these you will not be safe around. Yup, we have Deaf people associated with mafias.

If you go out often, you'll see Deaf people on a daily basis. On the street, in the local Safeway or the Harris Teeter, at a coffee shop, in your apartment building, or an art show.

While looking for a pad, you have this accessibility to find another deaf person to rent the place out with. No more of "damn, I don't want to rent a place with non-signers again" feeling.

Where there are Deaf parents, there are CODAs. This area has a LOT of CODA's. A lot of them work in the restaurant industry while taking interpreting gigs here and there.

This trickles down to the hearing population. They are currently actively taking ASL classes to be able to interact with the Deaf resulting in a better customer experience.

Where else can you get that? Sorry, but not Rochester, not Austin, not Bay Area.

Oddball, from the "Toxic State" I can only assume you're from the Northeast - PA, NJ, Ohio, WVa, or the likes. If you've ever went to the NDPT out in AC, you've probably sat across the table from the folks I talk about.

And Gobae:
To clarify, we're talking about Deaf Meccas. The reason I said to a point was while Rochester does have a bustling Deaf community; we're discussing Deaf Mecca here. That means the Number One.

The competition between D.C. and any other places is not even close. Mecca.

Back