Is being deaf a disability or not?

I don't think I'm disabled. I just had a langauge and equipment change !

I Immigrated to Deafland !

I have a door light instead of a doorbell. My tea kettle changes color instead of whistling. Big fat hairy deal. Hopefuly soon I will have a VERY well trained doggy, who can come with me to the supermarkets, because he's worth he weight in gold and better behaved than most of the other shoppers !

I speak ASL instead of English or Chinese so I need someone to translate sometimes, just like the Korean lady down the block who came here without knowing more than ten words of english. No big deal.

Sometimes though, I think people who don't know how to sign are disabled. 'Cause if they lose their voice they can't talk, but if I lose my voice there is just NO shutting me up !

Sometimes though, I think people who don't know how to sign are disabled. 'Cause if they lose their voice they can't talk, but if I lose my voice there is just NO shutting me up !

This is so true! :)
I think that if somebody calls a d/Deaf person disabled only because he or she cannot hear, they could also call me disabled because I cannot sign (yet) (Well, I can sign something but in Signed Polish ;)) Or they could call me disabled because I wear glasses and can't see clearly from the distance. Some time ago I had my eyesight checked. The doctor said that I have poor eyesight, which I already knew, but she also asked something like "Does it give you a lot of trouble? Do you manage somehow?" I don't remember exactly, but I felt as if she was suggesting I should have some problems due to my poor eyesight. As if there was something wrong with me. And I never thought there was something wrong with me or that I was partialy disabled. It would be nice to have good eyesight, but I don't. And I don't want others to feel pity for me because of that.
I think a person is disabled if he or she feels disabled. And if it comes to being "normal", I've read somewhere that "normalcy is in the mnd and eye of the beholder." Even if people have different views on what normal is, they should respect each other's opinions. That's what I think :)

The purpose of the military is war. What do you think the military do? The military for whom you work are warriors. Their mission is war. If there were no wars or threats of war, then you wouldn't have a job.

Excuse me!!!!! I thought the purpose of the military was to protect!!!

I don't like to see it as a "disability' because it makes it seem like I'm not equal to the 'average' person. It's obvious that I don't get the experience sound like a hearing person, but i've learned to dismiss worrying about that. I certainly don't mind though, receiving compensation for this "disability". ;)

Next time, folks, in filling out your SSI form, make sure you write down the words "I am not disabled. I do not have a disability. I am simply deaf." And wait for your SSI check to come in a month later.

LOL, I agree!, Deaf politics is so screwed up, it refuses to acknowledge the truth of how d/Deaf people experiences their lives. I also would dare to say that deaf politics is being USED by hearing people to THEIR advantages!! like endorsing their roles as interpreters as a "faithful profession which respect Deaf people" sic my ass!
this is what my supervisor says "Deaf people dont consider themselves Disabled, okay lets wait till we hear what Deaf people will do if we remove their entitlement to the Invalids benefits..." (this is equavalent to SSDI in USA).

Well, I think most deaf know they are disabled from the medical model view; but they say they aren't disabled according to the secondary description/definition of deafness in the dictionary. "We are but we aren't", yanno?

Next time, folks, in filling out your SSI form, make sure you write down the words "I am not disabled. I do not have a disability. I am simply deaf." And wait for your SSI check to come in a month later.

Oh don't worry, next time I get an interview and don't just get blown off by the interviewer who doesn't think I could do the job in a million years, I'll be sure to write that on my SSI form. :D

Well, I think most deaf know they are disabled from the medical model view; but they say they aren't disabled according to the secondary description/definition of deafness in the dictionary. "We are but we aren't", yanno?

I do know, i agree!, while its yup so that and that, but its also the moronic power freaks in the 'Deaf industry" who's actually are irresponsible (many would not own up to it because of false pride in their 'achievement' and arrogance) to that they did a job very well to convince all the 'hurt deafies' to believe they arent disabled only its so fashionable to debunk the medical arrogance but little do they realise the extension of the medicalisation isn't confined to hospitals or eduction but also mainstream media. Ever noticed many womens magazines have cochlear implant stories saying how great it is , how they (recipents) got their life back? there's NEVER balance, and never sign language (unless fabulous teaching in school but never about what happens afterwards

put all this into a perspective, its always about how the individuals won against the odds, its never about what's wrong with (hearing) people's society, only the 'too kind words' like understanding (sic)..its just pathetic

Hello,

My name is Fem. I am a student of the university of Ghent (Belgium). For my studies in 'Disability Studies', i am making an essay on Deafculture (I have to hand it over on the 18th of August 2005). For me this is a whole new area. I am hearing, but i have a Deaf classmate who has awakend my interest for this subject.

The title of my work is : "i am Deaf - a literaturesurvey about the silent crie for fully citizenship" (Excuse me for my bad English translation...)
With this title I want to show that this is not about the medical and biological sense of being deaf. It is about being deaf in a hearing society, about deafculture and deafconsciousness, about being Deaf ... It is about discrimination and inclusion, about respect and human rights ...

I would like to end this essay with a discussion about ‘Deaf an disability’.
For this, I’ll see what the literature says about this. But I would also want to see what d/Deaf people think about this.

So, my question to you is: Is being deaf a disability or not? What do you think about this? How do you experience your deafness?

A clue: Think about the following sentences. These are examples for the situation in Belgium. I don’t know about the situation in your country. Maybe you can think of some other situations or examples. These are always welcome ...

“Deaf often say that they are not disabled, but still they accept the card for free use of the bus.”

“Deaf often say that they don’t have a disability, but they don’t mind for having a INTEGRATIETEGEMOETKOMING.”

So, I find an answer on the question “Is being deaf a disability or not?”. The examples above can be used as a support to give me your opinion.

If you want to write me about this subject and about your experiences, could you please give me the answer on some short questions? These questions can help me to see if for example grown ups have a different opinion about this than teenagers.

Male/female:
Were you born deaf? If not, at what age did you become deaf?
Are your parents d/Deaf or hearing?
Do you go to a deafclub? Why/ why not?
How do you communicate: oral and/or sign language? What is the reason herefore?

I want to thank you very much for giving me your opinion on this! All the information will be used anonimously.

I need a lot of answers to get a good view on how d/Deaf people experience their deafness. So don’t hesitate ! You can help me very much!

Greetings from Belgium,
Fem D'Hespeel

You can reach me on my emailadres (for your answer, of for questions):

Email: dhespeelfem@gmail.com

I think if a person was deaf long enough to not remember sounds and not learn through hearing then it is not a disablity. That is how they were born and or raised.

If a person is late deafened or profundly hard of hearing, then it is a disability because now they have to relearn how they do things and adjust.

Whether being "deaf is a disability" depends if one thinks of hearing is a part of the human condition. Thus the "Deaf crowd"-alternate/bilingual/ASL-is fine in ones interacting with people who know ASL.
When I first heard of this-about 30 years-the thought came to mind-alter the word- deaf to blind-does that make sense re a "cultural thing"? Harlan Lane et al Yeah the "special deaf school" about 100 years tried to use speech rather than ASL. Fast forward today. My experience. I tried to learn ASL about 10 years ago and discovered no one knew it-except at Canadian Hearing Society/Bob Rumball centre here in Toronto.If one can't practice almost impossible to learn.
I am really ORAL deaf- since Dec 20/06 and now have an Cochlear Implant-at my request. Previously taken a number of Hearing Help-speechreading classes since 1992 at CHS. after losing the hearing in my right ear.Yeah I still use my UltraTec 1140 TTY phone today.
In the end what does one do to deal with "deafness" NOT to be "disabled". A much discussed situation at CHS.
Advanced Bionic Harmony Atria-implant activated Aug/07

If a person is late deafened or profundly hard of hearing, then it is a disability because now they have to relearn how they do things and adjust.

Once the person adjusts, though, it's no longer a disability. If they never adjust, then it remains a disability to them.

"a lifetime fishing license"

?! Aww, I want that!! I had to pay for renewing it every year. But to have a lifetime version? That would be so awesome! Lol.

I tend to find tinnitus more disabling than deafness......

i'm severe/profound hoh i dont think i have a disabilty...the hearies are hard of signing

Amen! us deafies live in a hearing world and thus us not able to hear in their terms classifies us as hearing impaired/. however being deaf, i dont feel disabled and refuse to use word hearing impaired. if the world was backwards it would be the hearies who would be deaf impaired! i am Deaf and proud and i dont need to be fixed...

i was hearing up till few yrs ago but i have come to accept and flurish with my deafness. People need to not let their dis- ability disable them. ya know....:hmm:

Amen! us deafies live in a hearing world and thus us not able to hear in their terms classifies us as hearing impaired/. however being deaf, i dont feel disabled and refuse to use word hearing impaired. if the world was backwards it would be the hearies who would be deaf impaired! i am Deaf and proud and i dont need to be fixed...

i was hearing up till few yrs ago but i have come to accept and flurish with my deafness. People need to not let their dis- ability disable them. ya know....:hmm:

:gpost: :gpost:

There you go, girl. This is the right atitude of understanding where we are coming from as deafies/Deafies. You do understand about deafness as far as you have become late deafend just a few years ago. I am proud of you for saying that in your thread. :applause: :cool2:

:gpost: :gpost:

There you go, girl. This is the right atitude of understanding where we are coming from as deafies/Deafies. You do understand about deafness as far as you have become late deafend just a few years ago. I am proud of you for saying that in your thread. :applause: :cool2:

:ty::ty: :giggle: Yeah its amazing how far i have come! I tell everyone i know two things:

Don't let your dis-ability disable you. and "The only thing the Deaf can't do, is hear!"

I had to morn for my hearing when i went deaf. I had to change my thinking and perspectives. I was thinking and viewing life as a Hearing person and i was no longer hearing. I had to start thinking and living Deaf! Notice i never say when i "lost my hearing" anymore...

to me it is no longer a loss. I only gained my Deafness! I feel that way with all my heart and it would help alot of late deafies to do the same! only my opinion of course.... I am Deaf :deaf: and proud, it just i didnt lose my hearing i just gained my deafness.
:wave:

I have the ability to say i have been hearing and Deaf. I have lived in both worlds and it has given me an unusual perspective of the world and able to see alot from both sides. but i wouldnt be me with out being deaf soo....

ya know?

I have the ability to say i have been hearing and Deaf. I have lived in both worlds and it has given me an unusual perspective of the world and able to see alot from both sides. but i wouldnt be me with out being deaf soo....

ya know?

Same here.

This topic keeps coming back up.

I think people (hearing, deaf, etc) have a hard time with understanding.

One poster said " a fine line between disability and discrimination" , two different things if you are defining.

Many have confusion with "D/deaf Power" "Not disabled" "Don't treat me different" but at the same time the same people apply for and expect to get a disability check from the government.

I leave it up to the person, whether they state they have a disability or not.
I do agree that reasonable accommodation should be and is the law (ADA) and should be adhered to. Perhaps the name of the law leads to confusion - Americans with Disabilities Act.

Back